Home Assistant beginners

Soldato
Couldn't find another thread, so here goes.

Recently upgraded my network kit to Unifi stuff, but balked at their camera prices, so went with Synology Surveillance Station on my ancient NAS (DS214).

I've got mostly Hue kit around the house, but the kitchen has Tradfri strips under cupboards and a Tradfri motion sensor, none of which play ball with Hue.

Anyway, I've managed to get Home Assistant running on the NAS as well, and have a Zigbee USB stick on the way, which may or may not work. If not I may go the NUC route.

Aim is to have proper control over the Tradfri gear and have automations that work with all the lights and potentially link with the reolink cameras to trigger stuff.

Soldato
Well, I've tried and failed to get my Sonoff Zigbee USB controller working on my NAS, can't find USB drivers. It is a 10-year old unit.

Now do I just get an ethernet ziggbee controller, or rustle up separate system.......*rummages around for old laptops*

Soldato
Well, I've tried and failed to get my Sonoff Zigbee USB controller working on my NAS, can't find USB drivers. It is a 10-year old unit.

Now do I just get an ethernet ziggbee controller, or rustle up separate system.......*rummages around for old laptops*
I'm using a HP Prodesk 400 G3 with a 256GB SSD, 4GB RAM and an i3 7100T I got from MM for £30. Works super well if you can't find a suitable laptop; and it's only the size of a large RaspPi.

Soldato
I'm using a HP Prodesk 400 G3 with a 256GB SSD, 4GB RAM and an i3 7100T I got from MM for £30. Works super well if you can't find a suitable laptop; and it's only the size of a large RaspPi.
Ordered a Nuc from the bay. I found an old Samsung NC10 but couldn't find the PSU and tbh it's good for the bin anyway.

Quad core N3700, 4gb, 128gb. Should do the job.

The HA version on synocommunity is quite old, be good to have a bare metal HAOS install anyway.

Soldato
Ordered a Nuc from the bay. I found an old Samsung NC10 but couldn't find the PSU and tbh it's good for the bin anyway.

Quad core N3700, 4gb, 128gb. Should do the job.

The HA version on synocommunity is quite old, be good to have a bare metal HAOS install anyway.
Totally concur with that - had several issues with BT dropping out when using hypervisors. Although I am still having BT issues but I am putting that down to the actual temp sensors I am using now :mad:

Back
Top Bottom