Home Assistant beginners

Man of Honour
I did all the developer cloud thingies I needed to do which made my head hurt. I had to create so many different "entities" on google and APIs and so on and OAuth things... It's way too late!

Associate
OP
A sunnier or damper area than Ron-ski....
Any thoughts how I go about setting up an automation that turns a switch on at 7:30 - 16:00 Mon-Fri for two weeks then on the third week switch on at 10:00-18:00 for a full week?

Ooh that's an interestingly weird one! Bound to be lots of ways depending on exactly why you need it - you could set out your year's calendar and run that way.

If it was truly predictable (ie always this way), then I'd probably think about setting up two very simple helper values that are:
- just a 0 or a 1
- then another as a countdown for the two weeks or one week

Then you can have an automation that says 'if helper = 0' (ie we're in the 14 day cycle), then set the countdown to 14 days and once it equals 0, then add 1 to the week cycle helper and set it to 7. This would effectively give you the cycle.

Then you could just set up your two automation patterns one called 'weekly cycle' and one called 'fortnight cycle' or whatever and call these at a relevant point in above (or you could use the scheduler card which is really nice) https://community.home-assistant.io/t/scheduler-card-custom-component/217458

Does this make sense? Bound to be a more eloquent way, just trying to stick to simple WYSIWYG components for beginners!

Tutorial on helpers here:

Associate
OP
Gave me after reading the summary page but it involved being a premium member and setting up an API broker iirc.

Ah right - Google and Samsung are pretty poor in their behaviours (ie trying to make it hard for people to use anything other than their own) - they all have free routes, just need to google around and step through instructions etc. I'd imagine matter should improve this - although am sure they'll still be playing anti-consumer games....!

Man of Honour
I've thought of a a good thing I'd like to explore.

If we've had a good solar day and the myenergi solar diverter has heated up the hot water, I'd like it to turn off / pause the hot water schedule on my hive. If the water temp drops too much to renable the hive schedule (it comes on for 20 mins in the morning and 20 mins in the evening), or potentialy it could boost give for 15 mins or so. In the winter I forsee using gas generally - but some days we've had enough sone for some solar heating.

Associate
OP
I've thought of a a good thing I'd like to explore.

If we've had a good solar day and the myenergi solar diverter has heated up the hot water, I'd like it to turn off / pause the hot water schedule on my hive. If the water temp drops too much to renable the hive schedule (it comes on for 20 mins in the morning and 20 mins in the evening), or potentialy it could boost give for 15 mins or so. In the winter I forsee using gas generally - but some days we've had enough sone for some solar heating.
Interesting thought - apologies for the stupid initial question, but does this not happen automatically anyway?!

ie even our really, really old boiler heater would heat the water to a certain temp and then turn off (rather than just heating and heating until it boils!).

So playing your example:
- eddi heats water on a sunny day - water temp gets all the way to 65C (the temp you want)
- now the hive schedule turns on the boiler - it clicks into action, realises the water is already there and clicks off

Sorry if I'm being dim (I'm not even blonde!)

Man of Honour
Well that's the thing I'm not sure. We use gas for the heating and the hot water. But the myenergi will see what the temp of the tank is and then decide to heat the water or not based on solar excess.

At the moment the gas comes on a schedule. The hive is relatively "dumb" i.e. if the water is hot the boiler will still kick in as it's on a timer unless I've got it badly set up?

Perhaps hive doesn't kick in automatically if the water is hot? I'm really not sure.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well that's the thing I'm not sure. We use gas for the heating and the hot water. But the myenergi will see what the temp of the tank is and then decide to heat the water or not based on solar excess.

At the moment the gas comes on a schedule. The hive is relatively "dumb" i.e. if the water is hot the boiler will still kick in as it's on a timer unless I've got it badly set up?

Perhaps hive doesn't kick in automatically if the water is hot? I'm really not sure.
There's definitely going to be a thermostat in the tank - otherwise as Katie says you might end up boiling it!

Man of Honour
There's definitely going to be a thermostat in the tank - otherwise as Katie says you might end up boiling it!

So if I have the gas on schedule and the water is hot it won't turn on? I've never tested it to be fair and never even considered it! Makes perfect sense! In fact that kinda explains the birds nest of cables in the junction box, one of them does go to the thermostat. I'll need to take a closer look.

Man of Honour
Ok yep there's a thermostat set to around 60c at the bottom of the hot water tank and that goes off to the mess of wires (I have no idea if it's even working) and then the myenergi goes into the immersion heater at the top of the tank. Presumably that also has a thermostat?

I need to test if the bottom thermostat actually works then I can stop thinking about it.

Associate
OP
So if I have the gas on schedule and the water is hot it won't turn on? I've never tested it to be fair and never even considered it! Makes perfect sense! In fact that kinda explains the birds nest of cables in the junction box, one of them does go to the thermostat. I'll need to take a closer look.

Yes, I'm no expert, but really can't imagine how it could work without a shut off sensor of some sort.

Why don't you set up your hive and your Eddi in HA and you can create some graphs to track when they come on throughout the day for a week or two and this should answer it?

Back
Top Bottom