Home Assistant beginners

Soldato
Soldato
The older Pi's are okay to get started with, but as you start adding more integrations, creating more entities then it'll grind to a halt. Very similar actually with the pi4 if you're only using SD card
:/ What's the alternative after Pi4? I saw all this stuff about docker but I have no idea how to use that

Soldato
:/ What's the alternative after Pi4? I saw all this stuff about docker but I have no idea how to use that
Pi4 with SSD is an option.

Or a mini PC or similar - needn't be using docker, you can just spin up a simple virtual machine. My mini PC uses 18W so it's considerably more than a Pi but, only a couple of quid a month and soon it will be managing several other jobs too.

Man of Honour
I moved from docker to an old pi3. Less powerful but then it's also stand alone. Might go back to docker in due time as it's neater (1 less bit of kit).

Pi3 booting off an SSD is a nice way of doing it.

Soldato

I'm running pi4 with an SSD and it mostly runs fine, but I can start to see it struggling with certain things. I've also got HA installed as a VM for having a real play around with (where I can trash the install without worrying about the house no longer working) and that's got a lot more resources so don't see it struggling. Next thing up is typically a NUC.

Associate
Finally fired up the HA system for the first time in months due to building work at home. Imported panels/batteries etc not problem but having trouble with finding solcast him hacs? The description in GitHub simply say to add integration but have tried everything I can think of! Any help/pointers would be appreciated
Got a little bit further, some else had the same problem but solved it by adding the repo which then allowed it to show up.

Problem is I’m not sure which repo to add bit of a newby question to ask!

Associate
In that case you'd be better off hiding them in things. I've seen smoke alarms as the obvious choice.

For room monitoring I've just got the aqara sensors as they use zigbee.

I do have an air quality sensor backed with an esp board to send data to HA.
Thanks Semple, those aquara sensors look just the thing.

Soldato
@Semple how did you get the Aqara into HA? did you use the xiaomi gateway or is there a easier way to do it?

You need some kind of ZigBee gateway. I use Deconz with conbee2, but there's also ZHA and a few others. I think the Xiaomi gateway can also be added - but check the community first as I can't be 100% certain.

Pet Northerner
Don
Just dipping my toes in here.

I've set up HA and gotten my central heating set up. Now looking into light controls - I have Hive bulbs but want to ditch the controller box for a ZigBee set up.

Any recommended hardware for this?

Also looking (fot the spotlight rooms) smart switches, again any recommendations from people here?

Soldato
The Sonoff Zigbee 3 dongle is recommended. I have one myself and it’s been rock solid since I set it up a few months ago.

What sort of smart switch are you after? Replacement wall switches? Or smart battery powered mobile switches?

Pet Northerner
Don
The Sonoff Zigbee 3 dongle is recommended. I have one myself and it’s been rock solid since I set it up a few months ago.

What sort of smart switch are you after? Replacement wall switches? Or smart battery powered mobile switches?

I think I'd prefer to replace the wall switch. I'm not 100% sold on repeaters sat behind them, as my OH will keep using the switches like switches out of habit.

Edit: Does the Zigbee setup 100% remove the need for the hubs?

Last edited:
Soldato
I think I'd prefer to replace the wall switch. I'm not 100% sold on repeaters sat behind them, as my OH will keep using the switches like switches out of habit.

Edit: Does the Zigbee setup 100% remove the need for the hubs?
Surely the "repeater" behind the switch turns the existing switch into a smart switch someone can use like normal? That's down to your config.

My plan is to add modules behind the bulbs and wire them down to the relevant switch. I'm guessing that's what you mean by repeaters?

Soldato
Soldato
The lack of sensibly designed smart lights switches is appalling, no three of four gang options for Hue that I can see.
Agreed, and can't even get chrome or barely any none white options. Spent a fortune on chrome switches when we did the house and not about to put white in everywhere just for hue :/

Back
Top Bottom