Home Assistant beginners

Man of Honour
Yes, I'm no expert, but really can't imagine how it could work without a shut off sensor of some sort.

Why don't you set up your hive and your Eddi in HA and you can create some graphs to track when they come on throughout the day for a week or two and this should answer it?

Hive and Eddi are both set up. I haven't worked out how to do graphs yet! I'm sure you'll say it's easy and blow my mind with some stuff!

Associate
OP
A sunnier or damper area than Ron-ski....
The problem I found is the thermostats aren't very forgiving - i.e. if it's 64.7C it'll fire the boiler up and try to get to 65C...
Yes that's true - you can absolutely do this - and add the margin or rounding into your automation, I'm just not sure of the mechanics of plumbing myself!

For example is above even a problem - ie if the boiler fires up and starts heating, then it'd surely turn off after a few seconds/minutes as it's made the 0.3C difference, so again no major money lost?

Sorry if I'm being thick here - genuinely no real idea on how they all work (I'm more electronics and stuff!)

Associate
OP
Hive and Eddi are both set up. I haven't worked out how to do graphs yet! I'm sure you'll say it's easy and blow my mind with some stuff!

Yeah it's easy, just synchronise the confabulator, then maximise the deflubberalator..... ;)

This would be a good chart to use for this:

Just pick your two sensors/entities - just select from drop down and that should be it!
Oh and change 'hours to show' to whatever you need - eg 72 might be handy for a few days view - or you could create two cards, one showing 24 hour view and then duplicate it and just tweak the second to show a longer time frame also - both view probably helpful

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Hello guys, very "simple" one here
I am trying to set a TV to turn off at 2am. I can turn the TV off in the dashboard using power button (it is a basic samsung smart TV), but I cannot find an associated action to turn it off to automate this. Is this possible?

Associate
OP
Hello guys, very "simple" one here
I am trying to set a TV to turn off at 2am. I can turn the TV off in the dashboard using power button (it is a basic samsung smart TV), but I cannot find an associated action to turn it off to automate this. Is this possible?
Hi ShivP,

Of course - you just need to create an automation, this lets you create the trigger (eg when time equals 2am) and you'll be able to select your TV power button as an entity.

Have a look here for a quick intro, but shout if you need any help!

Soldato
Soldato
Hi ShivP,

Of course - you just need to create an automation, this lets you create the trigger (eg when time equals 2am) and you'll be able to select your TV power button as an entity.

Have a look here for a quick intro, but shout if you need any help!

It's really strange, my tvs and air conditioners don't have a power off entity, yet on the dashboard I can turn them off using a button...

Associate
OP
It's really strange, my tvs and air conditioners don't have a power off entity, yet on the dashboard I can turn them off using a button...
Hard to tell without seeing it, it could be a stateless entity (eg think how some TVs just toggle power and don't actually send an explicit on/off command).

Can you edit the button on your dashboard and look under the settings what it's triggering? Should be something like entity.tvoff or event.samsungoff etc?

Soldato

It's probably under call service.

Go to dev tools, services, and look for one called switch:turn on and see if your device shows up there.

Soldato
Soldato
Me again...
Is there a way to "get" the state of stuff on TVs etc. I can set the volume, input (TV/HDMI) etc fine, however can I for example

- Store current volume
- Set volume to 30
- Play something
- Set back to previous volume

Unsure how to do this or if it is even possible?

Soldato
Me again...
Is there a way to "get" the state of stuff on TVs etc. I can set the volume, input (TV/HDMI) etc fine, however can I for example

- Store current volume
- Set volume to 30
- Play something
- Set back to previous volume

Unsure how to do this or if it is even possible?

Which TV brand?

I've got an LG and I can set volume and play something. Not sure about the storing current volume, although you'd probably be better off just setting volume based on X condition. I.e. if you're watching normal TV then set to 30%, if you're watching Netflix then set to 50%.

This is one of my automations to switch on tv to sky news - basically just goes to a set channel.

Code:
alias: Switch On TV To Sky News
description: ""
trigger: []
condition: []
action:
  - entity_id: media_player.living_room_tv
    service: media_player.turn_on
  - data:
      media_content_id: 233
      media_content_type: channel
    entity_id: media_player.living_room_tv
    service: media_player.play_media
  - data:
      volume_level: 0.2
    entity_id: media_player.living_room
    service: media_player.volume_set

Soldato
Soldato
Which TV brand?

I've got an LG and I can set volume and play something. Not sure about the storing current volume, although you'd probably be better off just setting volume based on X condition. I.e. if you're watching normal TV then set to 30%, if you're watching Netflix then set to 50%.

This is one of my automations to switch on tv to sky news - basically just goes to a set channel.

Code:
alias: Switch On TV To Sky News
description: ""
trigger: []
condition: []
action:
  - entity_id: media_player.living_room_tv
    service: media_player.turn_on
  - data:
      media_content_id: 233
      media_content_type: channel
    entity_id: media_player.living_room_tv
    service: media_player.play_media
  - data:
      volume_level: 0.2
    entity_id: media_player.living_room
    service: media_player.volume_set
I've got both LG (C1) and 4 Samsung basic smart TVs. I've basically set up an automation to play a doorbell sound through a TV chromecast by turning the TV on, playing, and then turning off again. However if the TV's on, it'll change input to HDMI, play, then return to TV. However, it would be nice if it went back to the volume it was on previously which is why it would be nice to store :/

Caporegime
So never jumped into home assistant at all, but my home is quite smart already (Full Hue in most rooms / per room heating / smart sockets / cameras etc) just installed Home Assistant on a PI 3 B+, three Amazon Fire HD 10 plus tables have just turned up, looking forward to getting them hacked, 3d housing printed, mounted on the walls and things setup properly.

Particularly looking forward to full taking control of the cinema room which has about 16 things to control in it.

Need to find a good Ubiquiti and Eufy integrations.

Last edited:
Associate
Maybe a daft question, but currently I have two entities, one from my smart meter with price per kwh and another from an energy monitor on my washing machine with kwh usage.

Any easy way to create a kind of derived entity which multiplies kwh used by per per kwh to give costs per day?

Associate
Cool thread thanks, very dangerous.. I've an old Pii 2 so may drag out an old laptop for HA. I tried to order a pi4, got one on back order then the shipdate jumped back by a year!

Any recommendations on smart plugs? I've a few TPLink Tapo P110s at the moment and a little bit of googling makes it look like they don't work directly / you need to connect home assistant to the tplink cloud to get data out of them so before I buy any more are there better alternatives?

ESPhome stuff looks like a right rabbit warren. Are folks tracking environmental data with these? ESP32 devkit and sensors (I think the ESP boards don't come with sensors but connect via blue tooth to cheap devices like the Xiaomi Miija? ) How are these powered? USB? and what's the bluetooth range like, I wouldn't want a USB power brick and ESP board in every room i wanted to monitor. Any cases to make look tidier, pictures of folks setups would be interesting.

Cheers.

Associate
Finally fired up the HA system for the first time in months due to building work at home. Imported panels/batteries etc not problem but having trouble with finding solcast him hacs? The description in GitHub simply say to add integration but have tried everything I can think of! Any help/pointers would be appreciated

Soldato
Soldato
Cool thread thanks, very dangerous.. I've an old Pii 2 so may drag out an old laptop for HA. I tried to order a pi4, got one on back order then the shipdate jumped back by a year!

Any recommendations on smart plugs? I've a few TPLink Tapo P110s at the moment and a little bit of googling makes it look like they don't work directly / you need to connect home assistant to the tplink cloud to get data out of them so before I buy any more are there better alternatives?

ESPhome stuff looks like a right rabbit warren. Are folks tracking environmental data with these? ESP32 devkit and sensors (I think the ESP boards don't come with sensors but connect via blue tooth to cheap devices like the Xiaomi Miija? ) How are these powered? USB? and what's the bluetooth range like, I wouldn't want a USB power brick and ESP board in every room i wanted to monitor. Any cases to make look tidier, pictures of folks setups would be interesting.

Cheers.
Pi2 isn't officially supported but it's running OK on mine so far... I have a pi 3 but that's in my 3d printer atm and can't be bothered to swap it

Soldato
The older Pi's are okay to get started with, but as you start adding more integrations, creating more entities then it'll grind to a halt. Very similar actually with the pi4 if you're only using SD card

Soldato

Cheers.

In that case you'd be better off hiding them in things. I've seen smoke alarms as the obvious choice.

For room monitoring I've just got the aqara sensors as they use zigbee.

I do have an air quality sensor backed with an esp board to send data to HA.

Back
Top Bottom