Homeworld 3 - Released 13th May 2024 (early access 10th May)

It probably says more about you than the game.
Wasn't me doing the interview though was it? so that comment is absurd
Steam is the last place I get my reviews these days, it’s just too easy to review bomb
too easy for real gamers to write honest bad reviews of games they are actually a confirmed purchaser of ?

if you had less posts I'd think you were a plant.

This person honestly believes people are spending 50 quid on games to post a negative review.

Whats it called when a game like Harry Potter sells well and gets good reviews?

JK surely bought hundreds of thousands of copies to Review Boost that one

Last edited:
Wasn't me doing the interview though was it? so that comment is absurd
And yet your take was to complain about female characters, which are basically a copy and paste from past Homeworld games.
Cringe, is it a sweet baby inc game? or just wrote by an intern with 0 life experience?

I don't remember any scifi audio books I listen to ever having these weird female characters...
I've literally no idea how you have managed to jump to the above conclusion from the quoted text.
too easy for real gamers to write honest bad reviews of games they are actually a confirmed purchaser of ?

if you had less posts I'd think you were a plant.

This person honestly believes people are spending 50 quid on games to post a negative review.
And yet some of the worse reviewed games are consistently in the top selling and most played games, e.g. FC 24 and Call of Duty. You can't actually review the game yet on steam anyway because its not officially released yet...

Most of it is people like you re-posting and amplifying elements of other peoples comments.

Whats it called when a game like Harry Potter sells well and gets good reviews?

JK surely bought hundreds of thousands of copies to Review Boost that one
Oh the irony, there was a not insignificant online campaign to get that game cancelled because JK Rowling, including review bombing. They failed but it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

EDIT: I've actually played the game for a few hours, I'll post my actual thoughts later. Spoiler, its not a bad game...

Last edited:
And yet your take was to complain about female characters, which are basically a copy and paste from past Homeworld games.

I've literally no idea how you have managed to jump to the above conclusion from the quoted text.

And yet some of the worse reviewed games are consistently in the top selling and most played games, e.g. FC 24 and Call of Duty. You can't actually review the game yet on steam anyway because its not officially released yet...

Most of it is people like you re-posting and amplifying elements of other peoples comments.

Oh the irony, there was a not insignificant online campaign to get that game cancelled because JK Rowling, including review bombing. They failed but it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

EDIT: I've actually played the game for a few hours, I'll post my actual thoughts later. Spoiler, its not a bad game...

Don’t feed too much in to the ‘tism bro, it’s unwinnable.

The game so far albiet not played a lot, its very pretty looking. legacy controls mostly work tho zoom is a bit quick pushing the mouse for or back to do it instead of scroll wheel as thats how i used to do it in old games. Hud isnt too bad, better than demo before at least, scales better. Theres more colored cutscenes which drag on a bit compared to past games. Research is now in the build menu for some reason at least for upgrades for things. No pause for after missions to gather rus or think about fleet for next mission bit like hw2 but worse.

As promised here are my thoughts after 4 hours and as mentioned, overall it is a good game.

The good:
Performance - I've got a 3080 and AMD 5900X on a 3440x1440 monitor, the same runs smoothly - I've not checked the specific FPS but it looks acceptable to me with no obvious stuttering or slow downs.
I've not encountered any obvious bugs or crashes, not to be taken for granted these days.
I got used to the new control system pretty quickly.
The UI looks good and scales well on my monitor.
The unit balance seems fine but as mentioned, I'm only 4 hours in so its hard to say that this point.
The storyline of the campaign seems to be pretty much a copy and paste of all the other HW games. You hastily launch an ill-prepared mothership, you spend some time building up its capabilities, you take on the enemy, have a few setbacks and finally save the day. Sound familiar?
The voice acting is good, the cut scenes are decent (if a little long) and the dialogue is fine.

The interesting:
The game play is a bit different to HW1/2, it's not better or worse, its different.
The scale of the came is also much smaller, more zoomed in and faster paced.
I think this changes the atmosphere and that's probably why people say 'its not Homeworld'.
The terrain cover mechanic is a nice new addition and I can see good players using this to their advantage online.
That said, I think these changes are pretty much required for the new multiplayer game mode.
I played the new game mode during the demo and enjoyed it, I've not tried it on the main game yet.

Grips:
I want to zoom out further without resorting to the sensor view.
The music that I have heard so far isn't as good as the previous games, its a similar style but it seems more subtle and doesn't catch your attention like previous games. Perhaps it will ramp up as I progress further through the game.
The build menu can get a bit busy with all the research options included there too.
The campaign looks to be a bit short, 13 missions in total but its not a 'full price' AAA game.
Strike craft get absolutely shredded constantly - good job they are cheap.
The price with Steam tax included is a touch high.

So is it worth the price of entry? When you can get a Steam Key for £35 from cdkeys.com - yes very much so. If you include the Steam tax at £50 then I'd say that's about the most its worth.

Last edited:
u can max it pretty much even rt just the most fps gained is if you drop visual effects quality to low, doesnt look diff to me but huge fps boost if u try it in the benchmark.

just trying it out on my am4 system and getting sweet fps maxxed out cept for raytracing at 1440p with a 7800xt radeon, bit annoyed though i have all the pc components for a big upgrade to am5 but still waiting on my case which should have been here on friday lol

Homeworld 1 was probably the most excited I’ve been playing a game first time through. Cataclysm was really good too albeit found the last missions annoying. H2 never really liked for me it changed too much and the mechanics felt too different for me. Remastered H1 didn’t really work for me. I loved the single player H1 and if the new one is 1: short and 2: crap then I don’t think I’ll bother unless it improves.

As promised here are my thoughts after 4 hours and as mentioned, overall it is a good game.

The good:
Performance - I've got a 3080 and AMD 5900X on a 3440x1440 monitor, the same runs smoothly - I've not checked the specific FPS but it looks acceptable to me with no obvious stuttering or slow downs.
if it didn't run well on that i'd want my money back lol

if it didn't run well on that i'd want my money back lol
Running a new game at high settings on a 3440X1440 monitor with 4 year old hardware, even as fast as mine, isn’t a given these days.

Try running cities skylines 2 on it….

Homeworld 1 was probably the most excited I’ve been playing a game first time through. Cataclysm was really good too albeit found the last missions annoying. H2 never really liked for me it changed too much and the mechanics felt too different for me. Remastered H1 didn’t really work for me. I loved the single player H1 and if the new one is 1: short and 2: crap then I don’t think I’ll bother unless it improves.
What makes it crap? I don’t think anyone is saying that?

Well i played through the SP campaign in 2 sessions. Took my 8 hours in total.

Looked, sounded and felt like HW. Game was good but not great, i'd give it 8/10 overall.

Hoping for the MP to pick up soon as that's what i'm here for when it comes to the HW series.

The game so far albiet not played a lot, its very pretty looking. legacy controls mostly work tho zoom is a bit quick pushing the mouse for or back to do it instead of scroll wheel as thats how i used to do it in old games. Hud isnt too bad, better than demo before at least, scales better. Theres more colored cutscenes which drag on a bit compared to past games. Research is now in the build menu for some reason at least for upgrades for things. No pause for after missions to gather rus or think about fleet for next mission bit like hw2 but worse.
That's why in HW2 i always left one or two enemy ships alive so could harvest everything in the map before moving on, then kill that last ship and move on.

Oh and I loved all the games, no exceptions.

Last edited:
I just had a quick flick though and I’m surprised it’s so mixed as it’s not an inherently bad game.

A lot of the top reviews talk about the nostalgia for the previous games and this doesn’t tick the box which is fine but it does’t make it a bad game. If you are just looking for a nostalgia hit then yes you may well be disappointed as the game does move the series on.

The campaign is a bit short, that is fair, but it’s not that expensive either (£35).

The game isn’t overly ambitious with its scope which IMO is a good thing and is a huge part of the problem with all the failed games recently. It’s quite a tidy new entry into the RTS genre which has not been getting a lot of love recently.

Pleasing the hardcore fans of a 25 year old game is always going to be pretty tough. I think if this game wasn’t based on the Homeworld IP and it swapped out the Homeworld specific references to something else but kept everything else the same, it probably wouldn’t be getting many of the negative reviews. The counter to that is it’s not likely to sell as well.

Last edited:
True enough - a lot of the criticism of HW Remastered was probs a bit unfair and in the end the makers were emphasising it was a 'reimagining' rather than the original basically souped up. If the 1p campaign of H3 is very short tho that would be a prob for me as if I bought it, it would be for that.

Last edited:
The campaign is a bit short, that is fair, but it’s not that expensive either (£35).
its a £50 game... just because you can get it cheaper on cdkeys doesn't mean the devs haven't priced it at 50

70 or whatever if you wanted the 3 days early access...

Last edited:
its a £50 game... just because you can get it cheaper on cdkeys doesn't mean the devs haven't priced it at 50

70 or whatever if you wanted the 3 days early access...
A developer can price it at whatever they like but if you can buy a product from a range of retailers for £35, it’s not a £50 product.

Back
Top Bottom