Honest burgers or 5 guys

Soldato
Why do people always put food in quotes with maccies, like it’s not real food.

I think you can be safely assured it is proper food. Real meat, real salad, real bread and everything. And at least you know for a fact the kitchens are spotless.

Its crap fast food for the masses, but if that's what you enjoy...

Soldato
Why do people always put food in quotes with maccies, like it’s not real food.

I think you can be safely assured it is proper food. Real meat, real salad, real bread and everything. And at least you know for a fact the kitchens are spotless.

Yup, having worked there I have zero worries about eating there unlike an independent high street takeaway which can be so hit and miss when it comes to hygiene standards.

Its crap fast food for the masses, but if that's what you enjoy...

I wouldn’t say I ‘enjoy’ it like I would a nice steak and glass of wine but it very much serves a purpose and is widely available if you need to fill a hole at short notice.

Soldato
OP
I feel bad about starting this thread as we were so busy I never got chance to try any, except a five guys shake before getting the train at kings Cross. Going back on Saturday so where is nice to eat as its my wife's birthday

Caporegime
I feel bad about starting this thread as we were so busy I never got chance to try any, except a five guys shake before getting the train at kings Cross. Going back on Saturday so where is nice to eat as its my wife's birthday
Don’t worry, it morphed into a beans on toast rip-off thread anyway.

On a somewhat related note, we have loads of burger places in the UK, but don’t you think there is a shortage of quality hot dog places?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Don’t worry, it morphed into a beans on toast rip-off thread anyway.

On a somewhat related note, we have loads of burger places in the UK, but don’t you think there is a shortage of quality hot dog places?

The problem is that with burgers it’s easy to make your own patty, with hotdog it’s all factory made and then reheat on the premises. It’s hard to make it gourmet when you can’t control all the ingredients and technically only reheating, it comes cooked from the packet.

Not sure if using a Cumberland sausage counts as a Hotdog. It would be an insult to Cumberland sausages.

Caporegime
The problem is that with burgers it’s easy to make your own patty, with hotdog it’s all factory made and then reheat on the premises. It’s hard to make it gourmet when you can’t control all the ingredients and technically only reheating, it comes cooked from the packet.

Not sure if using a Cumberland sausage counts as a Hotdog. It would be an insult to Cumberland sausages.
I see where you’re coming from. Tbh, hot dogs are the one food where there is hardly any difference between a restaurant one and a well prepared home one.

If anyone fancies hot dogs at home, the new Dino’s Brooklyn dogs that Sainsbury’s are doing are the bees knees. All pork with none of the crap chicken and stuff that the cheaper ones mix in.

Caporegime
I see where you’re coming from. Tbh, hot dogs are the one food where there is hardly any difference between a restaurant one and a well prepared home one.

If anyone fancies hot dogs at home, the new Dino’s Brooklyn dogs that Sainsbury’s are doing are the bees knees. All pork with none of the crap chicken and stuff that the cheaper ones mix in.

You can make hotdog trendy though, look up Korean hotdogs, or Korean cheese dogs. Basically a hotdog, sometimes with mozzarella. covered in batter, potato squares stuck to it, deep fried and the. Sprinkled with sugar and then ketchup/mayo and mustard etc

D9TpZF0.jpg

tIzUavE.jpg.png

Soldato
what budget, target level, style of cuisine?

Soldato

Great recommendation, I buy them from the american aisle in Tescos every now and then, decent size, actually taste meaty and nicely 'smoked', trouble is i'll keep raiding the fridge and munching them cold as well so they don't last long.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/297199776

Man of Honour
The best burgers I've ever had are from the Parcel Yard "pub" above platforms 9/10/11 in Kings Cross station :)
not sure if serious but might give it a go some time :D

MeatLiquor is the best I've tried, the monkey fingers are immense!
Personally I love their deep fried pickles (although once they sliced them across instead of length ways and it ruined it :( )

Soldato
MeatLiquor is the best I've tried, the monkey fingers are immense!
When I last went there it was so dark you couldn't see what you were eating. and IIRC it came on kitchen towel or something like it. When we're paying that much I wouldn't mind, you know, a plate, or at least a bit of wood.

Back
Top Bottom