Horizon: Forbidden West

Soldato
I suspect HFW was always going to be a challenge to live up to the story of the excellent first game but I still enjoyed it. I'll admit the weird inclusion of that animation when using special spear powers in the midst of battles was jarring and I rarely ever used them. I'll await reviews before getting involved in the DLC.

Associate
Just beat up a Lv30 Thunderjaw man, with my Lv21 Aloy. Granted the enemy tribal camp nearby was helpful to hide in as said Thunderjaw couldn’t properly reach me….and I have no acid arrow mats left but I got it! I also got the odd drone that was flying above it…
Im stuck on a thunder jaw, side quest to get hearts for water.

Hard difficulty, I get the first cannon off a dead machine, empty into it and it does a bit damage.

Everytime i try to pick up the second canon a bloody drone puts out of no where and obliterates me.

I let that one go but the drone still gets me everytime I get close to killing the dam thing

I might have to just run away until i get up a few more levels but it's so annoying, I refuse to drop the difficulty level to easy as that just feels like cheating.

The game is so dam good I am on the verge of divorce.No idea where the hours go.

Soldato
Got the latest patch, but my pre-load isnt downloading.
It's an issue with some who pre-ordered, they are hoping to fix it before tomorrow...

Soldato
Got mine downloaded ok over my slow internet. Just fired it up hoping I’d get a call over my focus but no luck. There is a small Forbidden West update too.

Edit: DLC is accessible in game as of 5am. Sadly it is time for work :(

Last edited:
Caporegime
Complete coincidence but I woke at 5 a.m. and after an hour I couldn't get back to sleep.

So I went downstairs and remembered this was out and started playing this morning.

I don't know if it's because I've been playing a lot of PC games that run at 60-120fps recently, but the 'favour resolution' mode that I played and left the full game on seems to run abysmally on the Burning Shores DLC. Even balanced didn't seem any better. I had to put it on favour performance to make it playable.

Only done a quick side quest and explored a small area in the skiff you get so far, so I can't say how good it's going to be.

Soldato
It was similar on the original. If i chose Favour Resolution on my LG OLED C1 it would look noticeably choppy but favour framerate still looked amazing and was smooth as silk. I think on the favour framerate i was getting over 80fps so VRR was working well. I do think its the limitation of the hardware to play silky smooth at 4K at stunning quality (On games such as HFW, Ragnarok etc at 80+ (Up to 120fps), roll on the Pro...

Associate
Got the latest patch, but my pre-load isnt downloading.
It's an issue with some who pre-ordered, they are hoping to fix it before tomorrow...

Mine screwed up as well - refused to d/l the patch and seemed to kill the wifi also.

Got it working after an hour of messing about by switching the wifi to 5ghz - which worked to free up the downloads for some unknown reason.

Soldato
OP
Played for an hour or two last night and again this morning, unimpressed so far. Probably just an age thing and also related to my lack of playtime in the main game for a while but it just isn't fun anymore, enemies are tough as nails and have super massive attack ranges which make it exceedingly difficult to dodge, coupled with the very limited leeway given for your own attacks it feels like I'm fighting dark souls style bosses (without any dodge invulnerability window that I've noticed) which they obviously didn't think was hard enough and threw multiple enemies in for fun, on top of which the new terrain gets in the way constantly and enemies will happily attack you and move through it when it suits them.

I've felt for a while that the combat was going downhill since Frozen Wastes was released and it's only become worse in my opinion, the combat in FW has never felt particularly good to me and this has just amped that feeling up. Hopefully it's just me though and others will feel better about it.

Caporegime
Am I the only one who doesn't even use the spear in combat, other than for the odd critical hit when they are down?

So far I've only seen one new enemy (frog) if you don't include the defense drone. Doesn't feel as expansive as the frozen wilds DLC from the first game.

Edit - I guess there are some "water" stormbirds as well but that's it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice bug. Looted ‘elite critical hits’ off the defence drone before the cutscene. Then it respawned after the cutscene :p
Lol same.

So far I’ve done a ton of exploring and ignoring of the most of the main quest line. I did the drone but that was it.

Combat is more of a PITA here as the landscape doesn’t help since it is heavily littered with objects so you can’t run around much. Also it brought back painful memories of how they ruined the HZD combat by introducing a million weapon types. I cannot be bothered working out what’s what anymore on my build so I’m just winging it once I start on the main quest line.

Associate
In the 1st game you could cheese most of the combat with that rope gun that tied them to the floor if you needed too,especially the flying enemies, and the dlc guns were super powerful. Ive not played the new game yet but the 1st one got too easy when you got the max power weapons, and upgrades.

Back
Top Bottom