House security what you got?

Soldato
So after being broken into and having my car stolen it’s obviously put us on edge and given me a desire to protect my home better.

What deterrents and security measures do you have in place and any recommendations?

I’m now looking at a CCTV system (unsure which it’s a minefield)

anti snap locks

A motion flood light

I’ve also just got a Pat Lock for my conservatory doors which is the way they got in.

Man of Honour
Sadly the best deterrents are not owning a nice car (and/or having the ability to hide it from sight) and making the neighbours look like easier targets :(

Having well lit entry points (including things like windows which might give them access) does help and making sure they can't easily get down the side of the house out of sight, etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Sadly the best deterrents are not owning a nice car (and/or having the ability to hide it from sight) and making the neighbours look like easier targets :(

Having well lit entry points (including things like windows which might give them access) does help and making sure they can't easily get down the side of the house out of sight, etc.
Yeah I need a side gate they just went straight round the back and into the conservatory for the keys.

Man of Honour
CCTV has pretty much zero effect as a deterrent, and in most cases, as evidence to support any investigation. It’s only useful for you to have eyes on things during any event, e.g. your alarm goes off and you can check to see if it is a genuine event. Or you’re in the house and can assess the risk.

Physical security measures are the most effective. Stronger doors, better locks (e.g. anti snap cylinders), barriers that are difficult to cross, noise generators to make it impossible to be quiet etc…

I’ve had quite a few attempts on my property due to having high value motocross bikes. CCTV didn’t offer any value for the events I discovered afterwards. They were masked up in non-descript clothes and had parked out of sight. It was useful to see how they made the attempt which helped me evolve the security. It was also useful for one event where I was home and awake. I was able to see that there were a group of 5 of them - not worth confronting.

What prevented the thefts on all occasions was an “onion skin” approach to security. Lots of measures which can eventually be got around (they all can eventually) but it slowed them down so much and increased their conspicuity due to noise that they gave up every time.

I was particularly pleased when one of the pricks impaled his hand on a fence spike. He cried like a little btch.

Last edited:
Soldato
I’ve also just got a Pat Lock for my conservatory doors which is the way they got in.
what do you mean -
10yr build, on double glazing doors I have a double glazed lockmaster 3 hook ... but saying that for windows, windows although handles are always cinched they're never locked;
so I think they would need to break a pane or drill out hinges.

Car keys can also be left at somewhat random locations - I mean don't have a keyboard.

Pet Northerner
Don
eba0b40d-0df9-441c-9e2b-f319f90c5898.jpeg

Does this count?

For real though I use a cctv camera and a ring, which actually worked in deterring a pair of chancers last year. They were caught on video noticing the camera and took off

Man of Honour
ADT alarm

Wired CCTV - an older system, was there to check in case our alarm goes off. Still records though, a good wired backup.

Ring cameras covering the whole perimeter - useful when I am gaming or woken up by lights outside. I’d rather scare them off before they get in.

Floodlit perimeter

Auto indoor lights

Indoor locked doors to slow them down

Many neighbours without such systems.

I doubt the TTRS on the drive helps, although it’s usually there whether I’m away or home alone. Keys in pouch.

A ****** off powerlifter.

Tall side gates.

Neighbours who work from home.

It all helps, at least against opportunistic crap. Mostly seems to be people ‘breaking’ into unlocked cars or linking to unprotected keys around here. There are also people with far bigger houses and expensive cars.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom