How can employers get away with this?

Soldato
On the odd week, sure I've no problem with a couple hours to finish off a project or so, but if I was expected to work 40 hours every week, i'd expect to be paid for 40 hours every week...

Associate
My mate who works in the financial industry recently started a new job. On his contract it states 35 hours a week.

On his first day he had a 1-1 with his manager who said that his hours were 9am-6pm which would be 40 hours a week. Now im sure there is something in the contract which says that he may need to work more hours to meet project demands or something like that, but to be told that's what the hours will always be is a bit strange.

I should point out, nobody is complaining, and I'm certain it happens everywhere, but I am wondering how they get away with doing something like this?

I dont see the issue, im guessing if hes in the financial industry, hes getting reasonable pay. Be thankful to have a job....

Permabanned
Thread title "How can employers get away with this?"
Quote "I should point out, nobody is complaining"

I wonder how they get away with a problem that no-one complains about......

Because people meekly accept repeated metaphoric kicks in the teeth.

It's a sharp elbowed dog eat dog world don't you know.

Caporegime
he's a bit wet behind the ears if he was actually expecting to do 35 hours per week in that industry... Employers can't necessarily get away with it - if he really wanted to, after his probation, he could simply work the bare minimum.... in return he'd have a high probability of no pay rises, no bonus, zero prospects and everyone considering him to be a bit lazy... but yeah if he relishes the chance to have no future and being first in line for all the worst grunt work then he's within his rights to simply work to rule....

Soldato
I am sure most contracts I have been given or given out state somthing like

40 hours a week

then somthing about getting the job done.

My old parts adviser was on a reasonable wage, but to be fair to him he stayed till the job was done day in day out. so say half 7 to 6.30 / 7pm. He never said a word. He made mistakes and managers more senior than me wanted to sack him but I really liked his commitment and hard work. Everybody can make mistakes even me.. Those who start at 8am arrive at 7.59 and finish at 5.30 leaving at 5.29 irritate me (unless in a total 8 - 5.30 job , because I know the day I need a favor or stock check came up there would be problems

Soldato
On the odd week, sure I've no problem with a couple hours to finish off a project or so, but if I was expected to work 40 hours every week, i'd expect to be paid for 40 hours every week...

I doubt he's paid hourly so if he said anything I suspect they'd just resolve it by amending his contract to say 40 instead of 35 at the absolute most.

They've employed him to do the job for £XXk per year, whether that's 35h p/w or 40h p/w is neither here nor there really as they'd just change the contracted hours and tell him to get on his bike if he didn't want to agree to it.

It's not like we're talking a completely unreasonable figure like a contract saying 35h and then turning up to be told you work 7 til 7 for 6 days a week.

One

One

Soldato
No, he'll be on a salary which is payed monthly regardless of hours worked. His employer will expect him to work to a certain standard. If that certain standard requires 40 hours to be worked then that's what he'll have to do seeing as it's a new job he has bascially no right for about a year (regardless of what his 'probation' might be) so can be sacked at any minute. Most '9-5' jobs are between 35-40 hours anyway which obviously means a lot of places are 9-5.30 or 9-6, not 9-5.

I'm fortunate enough to only work 35 hours a week but I'm well aware these working hours are in the minority. I'm also aware that if I have deadlines to meet then I'll have to stay late/come in early on my own free will, I rarely have to do this though.

Soldato
It doesn't matter his salary will reflect a 35hr week, his salary should be more if they want a 40hr week

If he said this to them, they'd laugh and show him the door I expect.

The salary for the job will be the salary for the job, whether they write 35 or 40 in the contract, you'll be expected to do the work given to you.

Caporegime
It doesn't matter his salary will reflect a 35hr week, his salary should be more if they want a 40hr week

It will reflect the industry average most likely. The 40 hour working week probably reflects an industry average as well, if it didn't then there would be a large turnover of staff with people leaving for greener pastures.

Permabanned
You know how they get away with it ??
You dont like You LEAVE we got 10 people waiting for that position.
worst thing... They are Right 10 other poeple will do it and dont bitch about extra 5 hours. They will be happy to just have job in them days :(

Soldato
Be thankful to have a job....

They will be happy to just have job in them days :(

I ****ing hate that statement with a passion, it just reinforces employers taking the **** and employees willing to accept it. Employment isn't one sided, it's a two way street, you want their money just as much as they want your time and expertise, and so things should flow freely between the two parties, not one side taking liberties because they can. You'll never here me mutter the phrase "I'm thankful just to have a job".

Permabanned
As others have said he will be on salaried pay rather than hours, so unlikely to get renumeration for overtime. Or atleast that's the most common practice i have seen in finance.

But the initial wage is good, and perks generally very good too.

Usually depends on your situation in life, family kids and other commitments it's probably not great for you, no commitments then it's likely worth it.

Caporegime

well it likely will be - its called a pay rise/bonus/promotion

alternatively you can stick to the contracted hours - but if everyone else in the office is putting in extra then you're the one who will likely be left behind (unless you're ridiculously good at what you do) - they're more likely paying him based upon their expectations that he, like most other people, will put in a bit more... if he doesn't then expect that salary to be eroded down by inflation and lack of rises.

Back
Top Bottom