How do drivers in <Your Town Here> React to Filtering?

Soldato
Doncaster/Nottinghamshire Area; people tend to be okay, other than people in BMW's and oddly Volvo's, I think I had one try to race me this morning on the way to work, he was in my mirrors by a way, and then filtered through the traffic :p

I thank people who let me past though - it's always a nice gesture.

Soldato
Bristol drivers mostly seem OK and move out of the way. I've had one driver in a Audi try and block my progress but the driver on the otherwise moved over and let me through.

It's idiots when you're at the front who annoy me; "Oh, you're on a sport bike? Let me try and race you off the line"

Man of Honour
OP
For a little background, the motivation behind my post was an experience on Saturday on the following bit of the A33 through Reading.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4...4!1sq95lXVGJAW081PZBBKoSaQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Traffic was tailed back almost a mile, and completely stationary - I was riding with a pillion on the Pan Euro with no luggage. Its quite wide road, and the centre gap is more than large enough even for the big bike- but on no less than 4 seperate occasions in less than 5 minutes a car actively moved to close the centre gap, one while I was directly alongside. I was being followed by another bike 2-up, which actually came very close to going down thanks to a red faced middle age man in an Audi.

To top it off, the guy at the front wound down his window to have a right old moan about queue jumping, then proceeded to do his best to intimidate and block me down the remainder of the road, weaving around at well over the speed limit with a few feet between him and my rear wheel. I didn't rise to it, as the safety of my partner on the back is paramount to me, but it made my blood boil.

Maybe it was just a combination of a one off day, the traffic and the heat - who knows.

Man of Honour
Bristol drivers mostly seem OK and move out of the way. I've had one driver in a Audi try and block my progress but the driver on the otherwise moved over and let me through.

It's idiots when you're at the front who annoy me; "Oh, you're on a sport bike? Let me try and race you off the line"

I find it hilarious because unless they're in some exotica they've got no chance :D

Associate
Maybe it was just a combination of a one off day, the traffic and the heat - who knows.

Think you have got it right there. People who have been sitting in traffic, regardless of what vehicle they're using, are going to be agitated. I detest sitting in traffic which is the reason why I use a bike for work all year round. There is no excuse for being an arse by deliberately blocking someone elses progress, but it happens.

I see other motorbikes filtering and I just cringe, diving in and out of gaps, aggressively revving their throttle for motorists to move, you want to wind car drivers stuck in traffic up? That's the best way to do it. There's no need for it, you're on a bike, you're going to get past them, be it this set of lights or the next, just calm down.

My experience of filtering in Kent/Essex/London (most places I've ridden regularly) have been mostly positive, but it's this time of year that motorists do seem to be a bit more 'aloof' with their driving, wandering over white lines as you pass, weaving about looking down the queue to see what the hold up is etc.

If anything I've had mainly positive experiences from white van man and Audi/BMW man, filtered to front of queue or can't progress any further, winds window down "That a blahblahblah mate?" "Is it fast mate?" all the usual car drivers questions :D

Got stuck in a bit of heavy traffic in Essex last year and end up having a thumbs up frenzy after filtering! :cool:

spotted_thumbs_zpsqdow0tda.jpg

Soldato
Was coming home a friend and I just before Christmas and was on the bypass nice and empty 2 lanes so no need for a the car in front to move over but he did and ended up hitting the grass verge and mud the car started to swerve back and forth like he had a speed wobble on and nearly rolled the car his misses head must have hit the roof due to bouncing.

We pulled over in the next lay-by and could not stop laughing for 5 mins :p

Man of Honour
I've had a guy swerve up a dropped kerb at the best part of 50mph because he'd decided I was going to overtake, flipping plumb.

Did make me laugh though.

Soldato
I've had a guy swerve up a dropped kerb at the best part of 50mph because he'd decided I was going to overtake, flipping plumb.

Did make me laugh though.

A young girl lost her life last year due to the same thing.

Some try a little to hard to help.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It's a unfortunate side effect of people driving with their head up their backside and then crapping themselves when they notice us, same as the people who do it when you're filtering. No need for them to move but they get a shock and shoot to the kerb.

Soldato
20 years back most drivers would white line and act like dicks but much better now but there are still the odd knob.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's a unfortunate side effect of people driving with their head up their backside and then crapping themselves when they notice us, same as the people who do it when you're filtering. No need for them to move but they get a shock and shoot to the kerb.

I get this on dual carriageways where both drivers (left and right) over react and effectively creative a new lane!

Soldato
I find it hilarious because unless they're in some exotica they've got no chance :D

Sometimes I'll humour them. Let them think they've got a chance and then just take off.

It's when you realise you can pull a 50-100m gap on some cars in no time.
Had a fun play around with a Skyline once. No doubt he would've beat me at higher speeds

ADT

ADT

Associate
I don't mind filtering as long as they are not too close to my car. In traffic bikes/cyclists sometimes take the urine. overtaking left and right and swerving in front of you. Getting too close etc.

I once had a retard on a push bike swipe the whole side of my car using his side luggage thing when I was stationary in traffic. When I called him out he proceeded to go through the red light and onto the pavement the opposite way so I can't get to him.

Man of Honour
I don't mind filtering as long as they are not too close to my car. In traffic bikes/cyclists sometimes take the urine. overtaking left and right and swerving in front of you. Getting too close etc.

I once had a retard on a push bike swipe the whole side of my car using his side luggage thing when I was stationary in traffic. When I called him out he proceeded to go through the red light and onto the pavement the opposite way so I can't get to him.

Did you really just come in here and put bikers in the same group as cyclists :eek:

Soldato

At roundabouts, this really does my head in because if i'm at the front in between 2 cars and the inside guy want's to shoot off, i'm going to struggle and have to sort out positioning for the roundabout. Because let's face it, i'm not going to have to expect to give it some beans every time.

Now i just filter up and get back into the pack 2 or 3 cars at most roundabouts i have to take on my commute.

Traffic lights are fine though.

Man of Honour
At roundabouts, this really does my head in because if i'm at the front in between 2 cars and the inside guy want's to shoot off, i'm going to struggle and have to sort out positioning for the roundabout. Because let's face it, i'm not going to have to expect to give it some beans every time.

Now i just filter up and get back into the pack 2 or 3 cars at most roundabouts i have to take on my commute.

I never filter to the mouth of a roundabout for that exact reason, to take off already at a lean when one of the numpties next to you might decide to put on their lead boot is not my idea of fun.

Soldato

Yeah I never filter in between the front cars at a roundabout, I do exactly the same as you, 2-3 cars back from the front car - too much stuff to go wrong otherwise - cars in the wrong lane, cars straight lining the roundabout, etc. At least with traffic lights cars generally stay in their own lane :D

Man of Honour
Yeah I never filter in between the front cars at a roundabout, I do exactly the same as you, 2-3 cars back from the front car - too much stuff to go wrong otherwise - cars in the wrong lane, cars straight lining the roundabout, etc. At least with traffic lights cars generally stay in their own lane :D

and it doesn't matter so much because you're already down the road before they've started swerving all over the place :D

Caporegime
Aslong as your away quickly and give it the beans its fine at most roundabouts,your away way in front of any car,just look over your shoulders for anything next to you ect

I tend to watch the lights aswell if I can see them for the other roads and soon as it gets to me I'm off just as they change,just before if I know the lights well

Gives me few seconds

Back
Top Bottom