How do drivers in <Your Town Here> React to Filtering?

Associate
Apart from the odd person (especially some chick in a 4x4 last week who wasn't blocking me on purpose but thought her jeep was 3' wider than it is) it's usually pretty good here but then tonight on the way home (after reading part of this thread) some guy in a merc decides to stray over the line to stop me from passing.
I was coming up to a "T" junction with traffic lights and a big queue and I always ride past on the right and nip back in to go straight across but this guy decided to be a jerk...so I passed him anyway.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
No bother in Derby/ Notts really.

I remember a NOVA driver back in the day who had a ago and made me drop the old VF800, got back up caught him at the lights and stuck my Steel Toecap right in the door at the next lights and left him :p

Soldato
Since I moved back to Reading however, I have noticed a lot less tolerance for filtering. While there are a large majority of people who leave a gap, or move over I have also been dangerously blocked, verbally abused, chased and hassled once, and even had one gentleman get out and try to push me off the bike for "Breaking the law on queue jumping" . ?
Depends what time you're filtering.
Generally it's OK and on certain busy roads most drivers will expect you. Rush hour is worse as, despite most folk again expecting you and leaving room, the ***** out then will be ***** no matter what vehicle you're in.
However, you also have to do your part and not ride like a **** too...

Yer we filtered a bit on lessons, I wouldn't do it on your mod2. No point and not worth the risk!
^ This.
Where progress can be made without increasing any danger to you, it's fine. You can even filter on your test.
But most riders won't have the skill level and if you stuff it up even in minor ways, it's an automatic fail.

My instructor actively encouraged it.
"You're on a bike, you're meant to be making better progress than the rest of the traffic!"
As above, so long as you can do it safely, it's fine.

Associate
Depends what time you're filtering.
Generally it's OK and on certain busy roads most drivers will expect you. Rush hour is worse as, despite most folk again expecting you and leaving room, the ***** out then will be ***** no matter what vehicle you're in.
However, you also have to do your part and not ride like a **** too...

^ This.
Where progress can be made without increasing any danger to you, it's fine. You can even filter on your test.
But most riders won't have the skill level and if you stuff it up even in minor ways, it's an automatic fail.

As above, so long as you can do it safely, it's fine.

My instructor told us to filter during the test, he said "you don't buy a bike to sit in traffic".

Was a lot less traffic back then though:D

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Its hard to find a feminine woman that rides, most of the time they're already taken or are either really old... and or butch :p

Soldato
thinking about it, do you really want a woman who rides? Riding, as well as gaming, is my form of escapism at the moment. It's how I spend my me-time. Having my girlfriend intrude on that would just bother me after a while I think. It's MY thing. lol

IC3

IC3

Soldato
My mate has a girlfriend who rides, and I mean she can ride... they seem like a happy couple. I guess this could get boring after a while, or you would just walk out with your keys whilst the other half isn't watching you. But, there're also bright sides to it... like same interest.

I wouldn't mind trying to see if it worked for me, I'm a social person when I need to be. But in my free time, I prefer to be alone... it sort of gives you that break from all the BS surrounding you. :p

Soldato
Heh, my and my girlfriend are completely opposite. She's well educated, I am not. She doesn't really care for gaming whereas I do. She mostly hates my music choices and my love of cartoons/anime and manga - I hate her love for watching First Dates. She's a drinker not a smoker, I'm a smoker and not really a drinker.

On paper we are completely incompatible yet we've been together for 4 years now and not having everything in common really makes me appreciate the things which we do enjoy together.

She's moving to Malaysia for 2 years in a few months - no doubt I'm going to be a husk of a man when she leaves lol. Will be spending much more time with my bike then.

Back
Top Bottom