HOW DO I BUILD MY PC NOW IVE BOUGHT ALL THE BITS?

Associate
Ive bought a loads of bits for my first gaming pc and i need to know 2 things:

1. do i need anymore bits before i begin putting it together?
2. how do i put it together?

Here are the bits....really need your help

CASE
ANTEC 300 CASE

MONITOR
AG NEOVO H-W22 MONITOR

COOLER + FAN
THRIGHT ULTRA EXTREME COOLER
NOCTUA 120 VORTEX CONTROL FAN

CPU
INTEL Q6700 CPU

MOTHERBOARD
ASUS P5Q-E iP45 S 775 PCI-E 2.0 (x16) DDR2

RAM
4GB (2x2GB) CORSAIR TWINX DDR2 XMS2, PC2-8500 (1066)

OPTICAL DRIVE
LG GGC-H20L BLURAY DRIVE

GRAPHICS PROCESSOR
XFX GTX 260 XT GPU

HARD-DRIVE
SEAGATE BARRA 500MB

PSU
XCLIO X14S4P4 650W PSU

Associate
OP
one of those videos says dont touch your cpu chip without grounding yourself.

when i bought the cpu i took it out of the box to see it and probably handled it at some point - please dont tell me ive screwed it???

Associate
OP
ok - having checked over all the advice im now looking for items to help me build my pc.

this is what i was looking at - anyone know of any good ones theyve used recently?:

a pc tool kit
antistatic wristband
anti static workmat

i have thermal paste as it comes with the cooler and i WILL use the spacers!!!!!

Associate
OP
ive seen some basic toolkits that seem to have all the necessary bits for the job and some have an anti static wristband thrown in which i can use if i get scared!!!!!

but the general concensus seems to be that im going overboard with the antistatic thing so ill drop the workmat idea and get myself off to ****** for the toolkit - job done...NOT!

Associate
OP
Also, i bought an OEM hard drive - it doesnt come with any cables - i notice on the videos above that a hard drive has a cable that looks like a long flat bit of plastic about 2 inches wide - where will i get this from????

Associate
OP
super informative and quick responses - really appreciated

i have a 500gb seagate barracuda 32mb cache 8ms access time SATA2 3gb/s ST3500320AS hard drive.

my MOBO - ASUS P5Q-E and RAM - 4GB CORSAIR TWINX DDR2 XMS2 PC28500 1066 is coming today - just waiting for van to arrive

Associate
OP
Associate
OP
and ill be building the computer on my wooden kitchen table with plastic wooden-look flooring throughout the whole day when i get a day off during the week when the missus is at work - ill have our baby to deal with so ill be building the pc everytime he goes off to sleep for a couple of hours!!!

i have a double plug socket by the kitchen table if sockets are required for anything

Associate
OP
and ill be building the computer on my wooden kitchen table with plastic wooden-look flooring throughout the whole day when i get a day off during the week when the missus is at work - ill have our baby to deal with so ill be building the pc everytime he goes off to sleep for a couple of hours!!!

i have a double plug socket by the kitchen table if sockets are required for anything

today would have been ideal but i still need a few things, obviously.

still to get:

tools
wristband
keyboard mouse and mat
operating system - vista
maybe some cables

Associate
OP
a phillips screwdriver should be enough maybe, but as i understand i have quite a small case - antec 300 - and it may be that i need some tricky tools to get me out of tricky problems due to low case space.

or not???

Associate
OP
Hmmmn, I have never used a strap. I have built at least 50 pc's (I sold them for a while) and I always just grab some large metal object to discharge any built up charges my body was carrrying. It's not like I scoot my socks on the floor or rub a balloon on my head while holding the cpu, which btw I only barely grasp the sides and never touch surface or bottom.

Don't get me wrong, if I would have had one I would have used it as I am a geek. It's just that I wouldn't put off a build over it. I guess that part is obvious huh.

not putting off the build as i have other things to buy(see above), but on asking it seems most people have used or would recommend a wristband to a novice like myself

Associate
OP
oh I wasn't trying to criticize. Sorry. Just that I read somewhere in the manual of one of the builds somewhere that grabbing a large metal object would accomplish the same thing.

I know a new build can be intimidating especially a pricey one. Even I was nervous when putting together my i7 with all of the experience I have.

no its fine - if i sounded 'off' it wasnt intentional.

cheers

Back
Top Bottom