HOW DO I BUILD MY PC NOW IVE BOUGHT ALL THE BITS?

Associate
Whilst a wriststrap is not completely necessary it is good practice and having worked on a fair few systems i have seen static damage so why for the sake of a few quid take any chance at all also we don't know where he will be assembling it or in what conditions so the advice is sound.

Associate
OP
Soldato
Whilst a wriststrap is not completely necessary it is good practice and having worked on a fair few systems i have seen static damage so why for the sake of a few quid take any chance at all also we don't know where he will be assembling it or in what conditions so the advice is sound.

without sounding like im arguing the toss but how do you know for sure that it was static damage?

Associate
OP
and ill be building the computer on my wooden kitchen table with plastic wooden-look flooring throughout the whole day when i get a day off during the week when the missus is at work - ill have our baby to deal with so ill be building the pc everytime he goes off to sleep for a couple of hours!!!

i have a double plug socket by the kitchen table if sockets are required for anything

Associate
OP
and ill be building the computer on my wooden kitchen table with plastic wooden-look flooring throughout the whole day when i get a day off during the week when the missus is at work - ill have our baby to deal with so ill be building the pc everytime he goes off to sleep for a couple of hours!!!

i have a double plug socket by the kitchen table if sockets are required for anything

today would have been ideal but i still need a few things, obviously.

still to get:

tools
wristband
keyboard mouse and mat
operating system - vista
maybe some cables

Associate
I know because the only thing that had happened to the components between being installed and them going wrong after beinf fully tested was the person putting their hand in their case. Either way put it this way is he going to be doing any harm by wearing a wriststrap or causing any problem that he wouldn't have not wearing the strap of course not so why not spend the few quid and have piece of mind if nothing else.

Associate
OP
a phillips screwdriver should be enough maybe, but as i understand i have quite a small case - antec 300 - and it may be that i need some tricky tools to get me out of tricky problems due to low case space.

or not???

Associate
Just checked the online tat marketplace (fleabay) and anti static wrist straps are about £1.70

I'm getting one now even though I have never had problems with static before.

Associate
Hmmmn, I have never used a strap. I have built at least 50 pc's (I sold them for a while) and I always just grab some large metal object to discharge any built up charges my body was carrrying. It's not like I scoot my socks on the floor or rub a balloon on my head while holding the cpu, which btw I only barely grasp the sides and never touch surface or bottom.

Don't get me wrong, if I would have had one I would have used it as I am a geek. It's just that I wouldn't put off a build over it. I guess that part is obvious huh.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hmmmn, I have never used a strap. I have built at least 50 pc's (I sold them for a while) and I always just grab some large metal object to discharge any built up charges my body was carrrying. It's not like I scoot my socks on the floor or rub a balloon on my head while holding the cpu, which btw I only barely grasp the sides and never touch surface or bottom.

Don't get me wrong, if I would have had one I would have used it as I am a geek. It's just that I wouldn't put off a build over it. I guess that part is obvious huh.

not putting off the build as i have other things to buy(see above), but on asking it seems most people have used or would recommend a wristband to a novice like myself

Back
Top Bottom