HOW DO I BUILD MY PC NOW IVE BOUGHT ALL THE BITS?

Soldato
Any drive will work (best to get a 7200rpm one over a 5400 - they're normally slower laptop drives or for file storage), I'd recommend Western digital personally.

What sort of size are you looking at, and what are you looking to spend?

Alternatively you could upgrade and buy an SSD, huge speed increases, but generally less storage per £. Though personally, it's the single biggest upgrade you can do to a system.

Soldato
I have to agree with the hatred for Seagate recently.

There was a time, when I would buy nothing but, however the times they are a-changing as the song goes.

Im not too much of a Western Digital fan I must say too, but I have to admit that all my Laptops have WD drives and they seem to be fine, even with me installing different O/Ses on them every 2 minutes.

My best buys at this time, with HDs seens to be aiming at Samsung.

My main PC had a pair of 1TB Drives and they served the Machine for a good 2 years before I upgraded a few months ago. Both these drives went into an old NAS box that I have given to my mate to play with, and they are doing him great service too. Its far too early to judge the replacements.

My old MediaPC is running a fairly old 400GB IDE via a Sata adapter and thats doing a fine job but then again, its only used for its own stuff. C: is off an SSD and the media it plays is all on my Server.

I could go on and god do I want to, but as many may know me to waffle like an idiot, so I wont.

All I will say is Avoid Seagate. possibly WD

Hitachi and Samsung are my choices right now.

Any others I dont have enough experience with.

Soldato
Alternatively you could upgrade and buy an SSD, huge speed increases, but generally less storage per £. Though personally, it's the single biggest upgrade you can do to a system.

I got my first SSD roughly about a year and a bit ago.

I toyed with it in a test machine and it didnt take long for me to see the benefits.

Now, I like to use smaller Drives for C: anyway.

If I use only one HD, I partition about 60GB For Windows and the rest, depending on size for the rest.

So, when I used XP, I would use a 40GB for C: and then when I went Win7 I moved to an 80GB

But now I use SSD in all my machines...

Even my Laptops... My 6730 and the DV6-i7 both have a 60GB SSD and the original 500GB instead of the DVDRW... I would Never do without!

My main PC for a couple of months now have been using a pair of 60GB SSDs in RAID ( Striped ) but I felt that was a tad silly.

I am however wasting my 240GB SSD as I am using that purely for my Temp Torrents... I should simply use a small HD to be honest and give the 240 to maybe my Samsung Laptop.

Waffle waffle... Sorry... Just get an SSD yeah... One of the best upgrades you could get for ANY Machine.

Soldato
I have to agree with the hatred for Seagate recently.

There was a time, when I would buy nothing but, however the times they are a-changing as the song goes.

Im not too much of a Western Digital fan I must say too, but I have to admit that all my Laptops have WD drives and they seem to be fine, even with me installing different O/Ses on them every 2 minutes.

My best buys at this time, with HDs seens to be aiming at Samsung.

My main PC had a pair of 1TB Drives and they served the Machine for a good 2 years before I upgraded a few months ago. Both these drives went into an old NAS box that I have given to my mate to play with, and they are doing him great service too. Its far too early to judge the replacements.

My old MediaPC is running a fairly old 400GB IDE via a Sata adapter and thats doing a fine job but then again, its only used for its own stuff. C: is off an SSD and the media it plays is all on my Server.

I could go on and god do I want to, but as many may know me to waffle like an idiot, so I wont.

All I will say is Avoid Seagate. possibly WD

Hitachi and Samsung are my choices right now.

Any others I dont have enough experience with.

I agree, I only go with WD because I have no other choice, but in all honesty I've never had problems with them. Now that Samsung are done through Seagate now, it's only WD Left!

Judging from your post above, I guess you didn't know about Samsung, so that's unfortunate I have to break the news to you :( Never used Hitachi myself, but again, only heard great things!

Soldato
Ouch, no, I had forgotten about Seagate now doing samsung.

Then again, its been a while since I have had to replace any samsungs.
( note that I have NEVER had to replace a samsung )

Hitachi are basically IBMs arent they, and after their DeathStar fiasco, of which I was a victim of, they got hitachi to do their drives and they have made doubly sure that will never happen again and so I am happy to go with them.

Back
Top Bottom