How long after knowing your partner did you propose?

Associate
Can the 3 monthers (And the 2 dayer :p) say they're still happily married?

It's very cool that you just knew it - I hope to meet someone where I just know I want to spend forever with them :)

Ups and downs. When it's not so great, I sometimes wish I'd waited until I was older. But this tends to be for selfish reasons more than anything. And sometimes, things don't go well usually because I'm not being very nice and doing the things a good husband should be doing. When things are going well (which is the majority of the time) I don't really feel like that at all.

So yes, most of the time, still happily married. :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Wow, some people really asked quick.

2 of my friends got married 10-12 years after they were with their partners, 1 after 8 years and a couple more after 6 years. 1 good friend proposed within 4 years but they split up before getting married.

Permabanned
Can the 3 monthers (And the 2 dayer :p) say they're still happily married?

It's very cool that you just knew it - I hope to meet someone where I just know I want to spend forever with them :)

We are still waiting for our first major argument......we talk about it sometimes, and we just cant really understand why other couples can tear into each other like they do.

Soldato
Lol. I would have asked on our second date.....but I ain't that brave. Asking her was the scariest thing I have ever done.....

After three years, thankfully I knew she was going to say yes....

Asking the parents however for their blessing... Whilst they are lovely, and themselves got engaged in quite a short period of time, I was ******* myself....

kd

Soldato
People change and there's nothing you can do about it.

Tbh looking back on it I'm glad I never asked her - it would have made the eventual mess of splitting up after almost a decade being together, into a complete and total utter ******* mess.

hmmm, when you know, you just know ...you could be dead wrong (I know I was). :(

Permabanned
After three years, thankfully I knew she was going to say yes....

Asking the parents however for their blessing... Whilst they are lovely, and themselves got engaged in quite a short period of time, I was ******* myself....

kd

Haha, my monster-in-law gave me a list of 50 odd questions to fill out....I told her to sod off. My wife told her what I did for a living and she was ok after that.....

She is a bit loopy though, the monster-in-law , not the wife.

Soldato
Haha, my monster-in-law gave me a list of 50 odd questions to fill out....I told her to sod off. My wife told her what I did for a living and she was ok after that.....

She is a bit loopy though, the monster-in-law , not the wife.

Haha, I'd heard stories of things like this, but didn't think it actually happened... It's something you'd see in a sitcom... Mind you, the look on the parents-in-law-to-be's faces was quite spectacular.

I went back from uni to ask them alone, which miffed of the gf enough as she wanted to go back and I didn't want her to be there. I sat them down and everything. All I can remember is the mother saying something along the lines of 'when you said you were coming over I thought you were going to tell us you were breaking up with her and you wanted to warn us, but then I started to think, and then went, nooooo, he wouldn't....'

Anyway they happily said yes... Even though I apparently made them feel old...

Couldn't agree more. :)

You better hope she doesn't see this.... She'll be bugging you endlessly if she does ;)

kd

Caporegime
I proposed after 3 months, I have been married now 16 years....I am 42 now, 26 then.

When you know, you know.

Did you have some time constraints too - i.e. presumably you were serving and not always in the UK at the time?

All the same that's pretty impressive, obviously made the right call there.

edit - ah you seem to have already answered my question further in the thread....

Last edited:
Soldato
I actually know now. Been together 10 months and I knew after 5-6 months that I will be with her forever and want to marry her.

BUUTTT... I think it's too soon to be engaged!! I'm 27 and she is 24 and tbh we wouldn't get married for like 2-3 years maybe more so that would be too long an engagement if I were to propose now!

But yes... when you know, you know :)

Soldato
I actually know now. Been together 10 months and I knew after 5-6 months that I will be with her forever and want to marry her.

BUUTTT... I think it's too soon to be engaged!! I'm 27 and she is 24 and tbh we wouldn't get married for like 2-3 years maybe more so that would be too long an engagement if I were to propose now!

But yes... when you know, you know :)

I engaged basically at the beginning of uni... Both parents made it quite clear they want quite a long engagement xD

I don't think we've ever completely ripped into each other. We disagree over stuff, but yeah no, screaming our heads off at each other...

kd

Permabanned
Haha I bet that was nice and awkward..

Planning and preparation...! :D

Did being away for so long ever put any strain on your relationships?

I had bought the ring that day, left in my uniform pocket. I didn't realise until I had started to ask her.......I'm such a flid sometimes...:D

Never on our relationship, it was awkward sometimes because of the exact nature of my specific job and leaving at a moents notice and all that, but that also had it's advantages with regard more time together on other occassions etc.....

I know when I was badly injured it changed the way my wife saw my job and I think if I had remained in service it might have put some strain on her......but if that had been the case, I would have retired anyway. My wife and son come first, all else is secondary to them and their happiness, that may sound smaltzy and daft, but it is true nonetheless.

Back
Top Bottom