How long does it take you to get to the Cinema?

Used to be one near me that took 5 mins. It was great for just a spur of the moment trip or if there was something that came out I could finish work and drop in on the way home, sit on my phone in the car park for a little while then get sorted.

It was only busy on big releases as it had been there since the late 80s and still had the same seats, sticky carpets and stale popcorn in the unused kiosks.

It was a cheap and easy to access but closed down during covid. They were in the process of sorting planning permission to a company that was going to bulldoze and make into big car dealer but the car dealers got a bit ahead of themselves and started to knock it down without finalising the permission and have had to go through the application again and is still standing with a big hole in the front.

Closest others is middle of town or other side of town and often too much trouble to bother.

Last edited:
About If i don’t hit the single red light on the way, 3 mins.

If the movie is schedule to start at 8pm, meaning ads, trailers for 23-25mins first. My routine is to get off the sofa at 8pm, go for a wee, changed, put shoes on and leave at 8:10. Then i will park up, walk from car park to the cinema, straight into the screening, normally get there as the BBFC logo appear on screen.

I’ve got the routine down to a T. :D

Or i can walk, 15mins. Then i usually leave the house at 8:05.

15 minutes by Bus to my usual one.
15 minutes walk to another one, but it shows films dubbed in Spanish so I never go.
20 minutes by Bus to an IMAX, but it also shows stuff I can't understand!

rp2000

it takes me about 30 mins to drive there (cinama is in middle of southend town centre, so its going to be crowded with junkies)

another 20 mins to park somewhere safe

then another 10 mins to walk from car park to cinama

almost about an hour, but it feels like 100 years from home to cinema

The Victoria car park is right near the cinema and is perfectly safe and fairly reasonable.

Never thought about it until now, I've always lived within walking distance of a large cinema but rarely go, maybe once every two to three years.

At my current address (5 months) I'm around a 10 min drive which the is the furthest I remember being from a cinema.

7 minutes drive - have seen over 450 films in the last 10 years.
I never even thought to keep count, but that seems like a lot! One a week almost! If I had to guess mine is closer to 30-40 :eek:

Well anyway, I guess this thread answers some of the misery posters in this forum who ask things like "who goes to the cinema" and "do people still pay to watch films in cinema" etc etc. :D

Edit: Also
giphy-downsized.gif

rp2000

Last edited:
I never even thought to keep count, but that seems like a lot! One a week almost! If I had to guess mine is closer to 30-40 :eek:

Well anyway, I guess this thread answers some of the misery posters in this forum who ask things like "who goes to the cinema" and "do people still pay to watch films in cinema" etc etc. :D

Edit: Also
giphy-downsized.gif

rp2000
Yep one a week’ish - live so close and have an unlimited card.

Saw nearly all of the Bond’s last year - wish Cineworld would do more classics.

From where I'm living now it is nominally a 25-30 minute drive to the nearest proper cinema. I've not been in years - much prefer watching stuff with my home cinema setup. Not to mention last few times I went the screen was poorly setup, sound poorly setup, not to mention people with no consideration for anyone else just made the experience tiresome.

Last edited:
not to mention people with no consideration for anyone else just made the experience tiresome.
Slightly off topic: Many people in these forums mention this type of thing as a reason for not going to the cinema, and I never really understand.

I would say I probably go 3-5 times a year in the last 10 years (in Spain) and maybe 10 times a year before that (in the UK) for at least 15 years. Exclusively in London, but I don't recall anything other than:

Clapping and Whooping sometimes when Credits roll at the beginning for big films (usually on the 1st day the film is released) and maybe laughing at jokes when appropriate. Beyond that I don't really recognise people making noise or playing with their phones. I mean why, if you paid good money to sit in the cinema for 2 hours?

Is this an outside London thing or a last 10 years thing?

rp2000

Last edited:
5 minute walk to one in town, garbage though, other options are Vue in Darlington(40 mins) Vue Gateshead (30 mins)

You’ve got more options than that:

- Odeon Metrocentre,
- Cineworld Newcastle (Gate),
- Everyman Newcastle,
- Tyneside Cinema,
- Odeon Durham.

Boldon and Sunderland cinemas if you want to go a little further, Dalton Park.

You’ve got more options than that:

- Odeon Metrocentre,
- Cineworld Newcastle (Gate),
- Everyman Newcastle,
- Tyneside Cinema,
- Odeon Durham.

Boldon and Sunderland cinemas if you want to go a little further, Dalton Park.

The odeon in Durham costs an arm and a leg for a ticket mate. Vue is just the best value. Never been to the Everyman.

Back
Top Bottom