How long does it take you to get to the Cinema?

Slightly off topic: Many people in these forums mention this type of thing as a reason for not going to the cinema, and I never really understand.

I would say I probably go 3-5 times a year in the last 10 years (in Spain) and maybe 10 times a year before that (in the UK) for at least 15 years. Exclusively in London, but I don't recall anything other than:

Clapping and Whooping sometimes when Credits roll at the beginning for big films (usually on the 1st day the film is released) and maybe laughing at jokes when appropriate. Beyond that I don't really recognise people making noise or playing with their phones. I mean why, if you paid good money to sit in the cinema for 2 hours?

Is this an outside London thing or a last 10 years thing?

rp2000

I've rarely been in the last 10 years but both London and outside I've had the same experience - things like a couple having an argument for 20 minutes, etc. weren't unusual.

The odeon in Durham costs an arm and a leg for a ticket mate. Vue is just the best value. Never been to the Everyman.

Agreed, the Metrocentre ticket prices have gone up a lot this year too. I used to live ten minutes walk from that Vue, went to the cinema a lot in those days!

Slightly off topic: Many people in these forums mention this type of thing as a reason for not going to the cinema, and I never really understand.

I would say I probably go 3-5 times a year in the last 10 years (in Spain) and maybe 10 times a year before that (in the UK) for at least 15 years. Exclusively in London, but I don't recall anything other than:

Clapping and Whooping sometimes when Credits roll at the beginning for big films (usually on the 1st day the film is released) and maybe laughing at jokes when appropriate. Beyond that I don't really recognise people making noise or playing with their phones. I mean why, if you paid good money to sit in the cinema for 2 hours?

Is this an outside London thing or a last 10 years thing?

rp2000
I very rarely see/hear any problems as well, but we often go on a quiet weeknight.

More of an issue is a dirty mark on one of the odeon screens that has been there for months (Chelmsford screen 3) and it bugs the **** out of me so I try and avoid that screen.

Surely these things can be cleaned?

By car, about 5 minutes and it's a local independent cinema too.

Other than that, about 25 minutes and it's a Cineworld. Not a good one at that.

About 20 minutes to the Showcase in Derby.

I've only been to the cinema a handful of times in the last decade though. It's just a bit crap compared to watching at home.

Maybe if cinemas offered a better experience than a modern home cinema setup it would be enticing, but the picture quality from an OLED TV blows the cinema out of the water. Dune looked dreadful, particularly the dark opening scenes, much better at home.

I'd much rather watch at home with better visuals and headphones cranked up these days.

In London, it was a 5 minute walk to the local Odeon.

Now it’s a 25 minute drive each way to the nearest city.

Back in day when it was one of the few U.K. multiplexes, I used to drive over an hour each way to visit The Point in MK on a Saturday and watch 2-3 movies in one go.

Our 2 closest regular cinemas are 30mins and 35 mins away and we go fairly often.

If it's a major blockbuster film and worth seeing on IMAX then I goto Manchester now, which is 3 hrs away :p

Same! Odeon Lincoln - although i can't remember the last time i went there. Been nothing decent worth seeing on the big screen.

You’ve got more options than that:

- Odeon Metrocentre,
- Cineworld Newcastle (Gate),
- Everyman Newcastle,
- Tyneside Cinema,
- Odeon Durham.

Boldon and Sunderland cinemas if you want to go a little further, Dalton Park.
Is there still one at Silverlink too? That's in that area, been a while since I was there mind

Is there still one at Silverlink too? That's in that area, been a while since I was there mind
Yep, also an Odeon. There's quite a ridiculous amount of cinemas in a 30 minute radius of me. Surprised they're all still open. I forgot Durham Gala theatre too and they're also due to get an Everyman soon.

Same! Odeon Lincoln - although i can't remember the last time i went there. Been nothing decent worth seeing on the big screen.

Yea, Lincoln & Boston are the two cinemas, we're about mid point between both. Even though the Kinema in the Woods is closer, I rarely seem to go there anymore.

We both have the Lloyd's Odeon ticket rewards, so use those up on anything that looks half decent.

Yea, Lincoln & Boston are the two cinemas, we're about mid point between both. Even though the Kinema in the Woods is closer, I rarely seem to go there anymore.

We both have the Lloyd's Odeon ticket rewards, so use those up on anything that looks half decent.

Kinema is closer for me too, Boston scares me, the main cinema for me is Odeon Lincoln.

Small world - i guess we live close by!

I live on the edge of Stafford and can walk the 2 miles, or bus it most of the way, to the centre of town where we have a new(ish) 2018 Odeon Luxe. The Odeon is opposite the Picture House Weatherspoon which itself used to be a cinema. It still shows films and football matches on its projector/screen with sound from time to time. 2 days ago, it was showing Star Wars Rogue One.

Similar to Stu999

5 minute drive to closest,
10 minute drive to next,
2 x Imax screens about 20/25 minutes away
Odeon Luxe about 30 minutes away
Vue about 25 minutes

Actually have

Empire cinema
Cineworld
Odeon & Vue

All within 30 minutes.

Not too bad.

I can free wheel down the hill into the odean and direct into the parking spot if the traffic lights are kind to me in Derby so about 5mins, cost of living babes....

Last edited:
10 minute walk to an old theater named the Astor. Cool independent art deco type old place that shows mostly older films and marathons. They played episodes 1 to 6 of Star Wars on Saturday just gone back to back. 11am start, 5am finish! I didn't go.

20 minutes walk to a modern multiplex. Been twice post covid - No Time to Die and Topgun 2. Can't remember the time prior to that. Probably The Joker.

Back
Top Bottom