How many buy Grey vs Local ?

Classic case of splitting up a kit lens and loosing pieces in the process, or worse.
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=28013979&postcount=18
Erm, scaremongering much...

As already noted previously body only cameras are often split from a kit box. Manuals / warranty cards are often removed when they come with a non-English version. Some suppliers do include English manuals, so do not and tell you to download the PDF from the manufacturer site.

Not the end of the world for the savings involved. You pays ya money and you makes your choices.

they do other things to reduce costs E.g. splitting up kit lenses and selling camera and lens seperately, if people return an item under DSR then they are more likely to sell the camera as new despite it being opened. They can also avoid minimum pricing rules.
Another big difference is the regional price differences. Pricing in china might be 20% less than Europe for example so a chinese model where they swapped the charging cable will see a big saving even if they pay all taxes.

However avoiding taxes and duties is a big part of the difference. I looked at a few lenses recently at B&H without sales tax included and compared to DR, taking into account the 4% cash back from B&H there was almost no difference, typically just $20-50 or a couple of % depending on the lens. You can also see that looking at grey pricing on B&H, the prices just aren't that much lower when taxes are equalized.

For example, Sigma 150-600mm Sports:
B&H is $1999, 4% cash back so $1919. Digital Rev is the cheapest Grey, price $1859. So $60 cheaper but you get whatever warranty DR provide instead of a 5 year official Nikon US warranty which is worth so much more than $60, let alone the customer service differences.

Sigma 24mm ART, $799 from B&H with $% cashback = $815, the cheapest grey import is $799. I'll take the 5 year Nikon warranty for $15 please.

Nikon 300mm F/4.0 PF, $1999 on BH,with cashback that is $1919. Digital Rev price, $1999. I would much get paid $80 to have an official Nikon 5 year warranty thank you very much!

However you occasionally get some oddities. E.g.a Nikon 300mm f/2.8 is cheaper in the UK than The US despite 20% tax difference.

Interesting... buying in Switzerland usually works out quite well... didn't realise quite so much.

I bought my 150-600 Sport for 1695CHF = $1795USD

Including taxes, from an official Sigma dist, with lifetime Sigma warranty and yearly free checkup/calibration with the sigma black card.... nice!

Get 3 years with official Canon things here...

I have bought grey, back when I just saw the money saving. My last grey purchase was from a popular importer, who apparently would provide a valid vat receipt. I couldn't get one for love nor money. The lens had also arrived in "gift, value no more than" packaging, so obvious avoidance. I like a good value purchase as much as anyone, but I won't be party to tax avoidance.

Then HMRC or the government should revise the laws so that companies can't sell without adding VAT, they are trading and selling, so how they leave it off I don't know.... Not like they are hard to track down either.

I own my own VAT registered company, I have to charge/collect VAT for HMRC, then pay them, but I'm allowed to keep some of it as payment for doing their job :D

Then HMRC or the government should revise the laws so that companies can't sell without adding VAT, they are trading and selling, so how they leave it off I don't know.... Not like they are hard to track down either.

I own my own VAT registered company, I have to charge/collect VAT for HMRC, then pay them, but I'm allowed to keep some of it as payment for doing their job :D

One of the well known importers went very quiet for a few months, all prices went up to high street equivalent, there is a lot of speculation as to why but no reason from the supplier. It was also impossible to buy from the supplier during this period...

The exporters are not UK based so UK laws have no effect on them.

An opinion repeated Ad nauseam.

Still doesn't lessen his opinion. Again, why mention HMRC if everything is okay?

All I will say, is that during my yearly DV review my BACS transfer payment to a grey importer was raised. It was flagged by them as an unusual payment and I had to explain it all.

It's been well published that even the big official on line sellers only pay token gesture of tax... As well as various coffee shops etc.... So as a customer you can never be sure.... The fact the all the official sellers always seem to have exact same prices is little rigged no ? ... What illegal price fixing maybe by the OEM/distributor?

I wasn't the importer, I ordered from a UK website from a company with a UK address, which is printed on the invoice, I made a UK based purchase.... Liability is with them not me.

Last edited:
It's been well published that even the big official on line sellers only pay token gesture of tax... As well as various coffee shops etc.... So as a customer you can never be sure.... The fact the all the official sellers always seem to have exact same prices is little rigged no ? ... What illegal price fixing maybe by the OEM/distributor?

That is completely different set of taxation laws.

Setting an expected retail value for a product you sell is not price fixing, collusion between different manufacturers to fix a price would be.

Except when your not the importer, see my edit above.... As I don't consider I was recently.

The vat/import dodging companies do so under the fact that the end seller are the actual importer and they are the only middle man.

There are the companies that state they do pay uk vat, however it was from one of them that I purchased from and they were unable to provide a vat receipt and the goods arrived marked as a gift (~£500 lens). It would appear that you only get a vat receipt when requested up front...

Back
Top Bottom