How many hours of lessons did it take you to pass your driving test?

Soldato
Pretty sure it was 12 for me in the end. I took my test with my 10th but failed the first time.

And Second.

Passed Third time though :D

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Taking the bus is actually more expensive than driving down here. £2.80 to travel 1.2 miles ONE WAY!! (Unless you're a student or OAP or something).

Anyway, I passed on I think the 25th lesson. 2nd practical test. This was ~11 years ago though and things have changed since then so prepare yourself :p

Permabanned
OP
Well, to be honest I haven't actually taken a bus in about 7 years, my work is a 10 minute walk from home so I've never really had the need to.

And I have a girlfriend who drives me anywhere further. So emasculating!

Although times are changing, looking to buy a new house which will involve a commute to work which would be much easier via car.

For some reason I always assumed people had like 40-50 hours, hearing that most are below 20 is good news! :)

Associate
Average when I passed 10 years ago was 35 hours of lessons. It has gone up now I think.

You're probably looking at 30 hours of lessons minimum. If you can practice outside of lessons then that will help massively.

Soldato
Bugger nose i was a numpty and started lessons at 17 and stopped doing them due to working all the time earning good dollar. Think i was 19 when i started again, think i had about another 15 lessons.

Wish i got it put of the way when i was 17 though.

NZB

NZB

Associate
6 hours and then a double on the day, think it was a bit easier in those days though :)

No written test for a start :)

I think i had 4 paid for lessons but lots of car time with my dad before the test too. I can barely remember tbh and probably would fail a test nowadays lol.

Permabanned
I recently passed after around 25 hours of driving and 2 failed tests every time you fail the test you can add on £100 to the total cost factoring in the rebooking fee and extra cost of rebooking to get the instructors car. so in theory id say anywhere from £300 and add on £100 for every retaken test. It can mount up quite rapidly but is well worth the cost. Although that is nothing compared to Car/Insurance/Road tax prices.

Don
I think I had around 10 or 11 lessons, can't remember now. I could already 'drive' a car before starting, had just never done it on the road.

If you can get a friend that can teach you the basics of moving / reversing then you'll save yourself some wasted lessons.

Remember to listen to the instructor regarding any bad habits that you have.

Back
Top Bottom