How many of you have the will power to do this?

Soldato
I leave it behind deliberately all the time. Even at work sometimes. Fifteen hours phone-free is such a luxury.

^^ This.

I leave my phone behind when i go out cycling as well (I know a lot take them). I've crashed a couple of times but nothing too serious so I'm managed to limp back home without issue. I've known life before being reliant on mobile phones / internet on the go so sometimes its nice to know that you're not going to have interruptions / distractions when you're doing something you want to do.

Man of Honour
OP
^^ This.

I leave my phone behind when i go out cycling as well (I know a lot take them). I've crashed a couple of times but nothing too serious so I'm managed to limp back home without issue. I've known life before being reliant on mobile phones / internet on the go so sometimes its nice to know that you're not going to have interruptions / distractions when you're doing something you want to do.

I said above my 70 year old BIL has caused so much trouble for the family by having loads of us searching for him while out on his bike because he refuses to even have a 3210.
Put it in your pocket and turn all sound and buzzers off.

Caporegime
Just LOL if you're not running burner phones because sweet treats don't come for free, just another play for today,
Oh, but I'm proud of you, but I'm proud of you
Nothing left to make me feel small
Luck has left me standing so tall
Gold!

e: noobs.

Last edited:
Soldato
So OCUK, how many of you would gladly leave your phone at home while going out, I know I can't?

I said above my 70 year old BIL has caused so much trouble for the family by having loads of us searching for him while out on his bike because he refuses to even have a 3210.
Put it in your pocket and turn all sound and buzzers off.

To be fair I was just agreeing with Tuppy Glossop and answering your original question.

Soldato
SARS 3 Zombies

for those not familiar with Cell - mobile phone film - imdb
Charles postulates that the phoners have developed a hive mind and are telepathic. He shows them thousands of phoners lying inert in the school's athletic field. Charles has a plan to use the stadium's gas pumps and a sprayer truck to burn the phoners, and the others agree to help. Clay and Tom drive over the phoners, spraying them with gasoline, which Charles sets ablaze. The fire spreads, causing an explosion that kills Charles. The remaining group, now including Jordan, continue north.

Soldato
Beach oriented lifestyle you can't have a dependence on hiding a mobile phone somewhere - Ford solution with a keypad on the B pillar is much more reliable

Maybe the relation leaving phone is just being prudent/old-school and doesn't want to be tracked by tik-tok(following GCHQ advice), or google & Co (similar email completion thread could have been based gps track)
& - being able to get the emergency call for Putins hypersonic cruise missile warning wont be much solace, with the mobile infrastructure simultaneously commandeered.

Soldato
This is just gonna turn into one of those holier than thou bs threads :p

It's 2023.... Not the 1980s
You can own a phone and not constantly be checking social media.
My phone is basically my ID and wallet.
I don't think I can sensibly leave home without it.

I think that’s the big thing. My mate went from a “proper” phone to a basic thing because he couldn’t stop himself checking Facebook etc and therefore loved not having that temptation.

I’m similar. In a way I like having a phone i can use for multiple things and fact checking etc when things pop into my head or checking football scores etc but it does annoy me how much I use it as a default to lack of obvious stimulation.
Wife goes to the toilet and I pick my phone up to fill the void.

It’s not a good habit and therefore I sometimes like to leave it at home to force myself to spend more time in the moment.

Soldato
I've often left my phone in my car, usually over a weekend where I've left it on Friday night after the drive home and only thought about it on Sunday night as I go to check my alarm is still set and then realise. I've also left it at work multiple times overnight i.e. left work and only realised, again, when I go to check my alarm or my car is quiet (no streaming from phone).

When I get in my house I put the phone down on a table and generally don't look at it again unless it makes noise (text, call etc) until its time for bed so its not unusual for me to have zero "phone time" at night.

I think because I'm nearly 50 I don't feel as "attached" to my smartphone as they've only really been around in my life since 2012 when I bought my first smartphone after my 10+ year old Nokia 5110 finally died and I thought a Galaxy S3 mini with google maps etc would be great around the Olympics (got drafted in for security for 3 months).

I think the only time I actually use mine is when I'm away from home and waiting for something or queuing i.e. car wash, doctors/dentist etc as at home I use my PC for the internet and at work mobiles must be locked away about 100m from my desk (work with military stuff) so, other than BT music streaming in my C1 vi an aftermarket stereo (RS6 uses an iPod) and an alarm clock, I've very little use for one 23:30hrs of the day.

Despite that I bought a S20FE 5G when I was in Saudi because literally everything was/is done via mobiles and 5G was the new hotness! God such a waste for I use it for :D

I need to record my steps so I can be sure I'm not being lazy and thus require my phone and smart watch always.

This.

My watch is wi-fi / BT only, so my phone comes out with me to record my walked miles (or bus miles if I'm being a lazy sod). Phone also comes out with me when shopping as it acts as my wallet and I keep a shopping list on there.

Keeping a phone on the person is also doubly important for some people. A friend of mine (age 70) has early-onset. He can still drive but will often forget which side street he has left his car. Sometimes he uses a small (<50 car) L-shaped car park where he normally parks on the long part of the L. If there isn't a space there, he'll park on the short of the L but then 2 hours later he forgets that and is looking for his usual spot. Then there's back to the business of mobile phones and he's often leaving that at home too which is a risk if he ends up being lost.

Man of Honour
I turn my phone off and take it anyway, that's my version of leaving it behind.....

Mines on Do Not Disturb 24x7, most notification suppressed, push anything disabled and unless it is an emergency I generally stay out of contact to be honest. I'm in control of my phone LOL not my phone in control of me as it seem for so many people.

Soldato
I'm not attached to my phone at all, i leave it around the house all the time and don't have it directly with me. If someone calls me i hear the ring tone well enough.

It's another thing leaving it behind when going out however. You just don't know when you might need it in an emergency.

Besides, i listen to podcasts/music when i'm out and about anyway so i need it for that.

Soldato
Mines on Do Not Disturb 24x7, most notification suppressed, push anything disabled and unless it is an emergency I generally stay out of contact to be honest. I'm in control of my phone LOL not my phone in control of me as it seem for so many people.
Tbh, that doesn't sound in control, it sounds like you're scared of it? I'm in control of my phone. If I get a notification I have no interest in, I dismiss it. If I get a notification and I'm busy, it can wait. It's not the boss of me! :p

I've not read all the posts, but I'm not sure what the initial point is about will power? That makes it sound like he wants to take the phone but forces himself to leave it behind?

Man of Honour
Tbh, that doesn't sound in control, it sounds like you're scared of it? I'm in control of my phone. If I get a notification I have no interest in, I dismiss it. If I get a notification and I'm busy, it can wait. It's not the boss of me! :p

I've not read all the posts, but I'm not sure what the initial point is about will power? That makes it sound like he wants to take the phone but forces himself to leave it behind?

I work varying shifts/nights, etc. so a lot of it is so I don't get woken when sleeping during the day and so on. I do most stuff via pull/get as and when I need info.

Soldato
Tbh my phone is almost never not set to vibrate. I'm actually more likely to mis a notification I want, than get disturbed by a notification I don't want...

Bedtime mode is also quite handy (again, due to the above, I've never really needed it) but I think it effectively goes into DND for me overnight. I get that's probably harder to do if you work nights sometimes though.

Soldato
About a year ago he left to get the curry and was a long time so I picked his phone up and went to look for him, his car had broken down so I gave him his phone and he waited for recovery while I took the curry back home.

Now that is the correct answer :D

I use mine for grabbing shots and video that I would otherwise miss, and info if doing an explore.
If planned, I take my Canon, but the phone is so much more than a phone for me.

Soldato
Bob Dylan and co have it right ban them at concerts ... wasn't going to see Taylor Swift anyway.
- maybe our education standards would improved if we banned them in schools like French.

Back
Top Bottom