• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

how much better is the 7970 over the 670?

Permabanned
OP
My brother has the smaller one and its NOISY!!!

Yeah i love the new Cosmos but its £300 :\ and they are silent man!

I know i would not settle for an ugly case the Cosmos S is also stylish so its the perfect case. Simple as hell to open and change things too. Easy to clean bla bla, if i get a worse case i will not be happy.

Well ive dropped the i7 approach, £100 extra is too big! Yeah i liked my old MB so easy to navigate, this is why i try to get a decent board.

Caporegime
Don't bother with an i7 - honestly. The gains are miniscule if any for a single GPU. They're noticeable for multi-GPU but the money can still be spent better elsewhere (or saved!).

After playing Hitman Absolution, I found that this game uses more than 4 cores and requires a fair bit of CPU grunt. I would have agreed with this normally but after seeing the amount the CPU is being used, I would think that newer games are heading multi core. I think for the cost of the extra cores, it isn't such a waste as it used to be.

Permabanned
OP
Shogun 2 uses 1 core and copes ok, I think Rome 2 will use multi, still i hope 4.7GHz is enough to plow through them?

I think hitman on 4 cores will still be solid?

I still know where your going though and i think this too. Still £100 quid? Im not too sure, specially since Haswell is coming and then probs another gen before we get there.

They know not everyone uses 6 core CPUS and i doubt the new consoles will.

Be nice to be in your shoes greg ;) (PC wise)

Soldato
After playing Hitman Absolution, I found that this game uses more than 4 cores and requires a fair bit of CPU grunt. I would have agreed with this normally but after seeing the amount the CPU is being used, I would think that newer games are heading multi core. I think for the cost of the extra cores, it isn't such a waste as it used to be.

I still think it's a waste for a single GPU system. You're talking £70-80 for a couple of percentage points gain in a couple of games some of which the person buying might not even play.

Obviously if there isn't a budget then the i7 is the weapon of choice to get the utter max from your hardware. For everyone else, an overclocked i5 is a more than adequate CPU.

To be honest, I would argue that it's more than adequate for all but the top end users for multi GPU as well. You're only talking a bottleneck of say 10% GPU usage which equates to a few performance percentage points which isn't the end of the world. I couldn't bear my GPU's to be CPU bottlenecked though so I upgraded. :D.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I still think it's a waste for a single GPU system. You're talking £70-80 for a couple of percentage points gain in a couple of games some of which the person buying might not even play.

Obviously if there isn't a budget then the i7 is the weapon of choice to get the utter max from your hardware. For everyone else, an overclocked i5 is a more than adequate CPU.

To be honest, I would argue that it's more than adequate for all but the top end users for multi GPU as well. You're only talking a bottleneck of say 10% GPU usage which equates to a few performance percentage points which isn't the end of the world. I couldn't bear my GPU's to be CPU bottlenecked though so I upgraded. :D.

Good points.

If your budget is tight, the I5 will suffice and do a great job but if you have movement on your budget, the I7 is the way forward.

I have only tested multi GPU usage and not tested single card usage. After seeing how much the CPU was being used in Hitman, I was a little shocked tbh. It was more like a sim than a out and out shooter.

Permabanned
OP
Well my budget started at £1000 and now is creeping up to £1300 with OCUK prices!

I think ill remain with the i5 it should last 2-3 years i hope :\ The Q9450 lasted 4 years. This years games it really struggles with, poor sod.

The case i picked is really nice so im keeping that on my list, im dropping 1TB on the HDD but its not saving much lol. I will not sacrafice the 240GB SSD one of the main reasons im going for a full system upgrade!

Permabanned
OP
Yeah its getting stupid how certain games play better with certain cards :\

AMD obv trying to abuse their CPUs since they have like 100 cores in them lol.

People still wont buy AMD CPUs over intel :\

Im getting fed up trying to get this PC sorted :\ Cheapest atm is £1142 seems i forgot shipping and config?

OCUK are charging like £1300 for the same spec, im trying to sort something out with them now.

I found a PC with an i7 and 7970 for £1300!! I dunno why OCUK are charging so much, if i cant sort something by the end of this week ill have to go elsewhere. I dunno why they cant just sell me at the same or a tiny bit lower and make a sale lol?

Soldato
Can you not build it yourself?

I was completely bamboozled by the prospect of building my first PC from scratch. If you break it down it's like a big Lego set. You just plug everything in and fix it in place and it's good to go.

People are more than willing to help if you run into problems. A standard Z77, i5 3570K, 8GB RAM, 7950 build should be really cheap. Definitely nowhere near £1300.

Edit: selecting parts from here and I can do a decent build (assuming you don't need Windows) for less than £1000. Make sure you shop around too.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Yes i can build it myself but if anything goes wrong ill need send bit by bit back :\ Also i dont get the 2 year collect and return warranty.

Well the thing thats bumping the price up is the case lol.

I can get the system for under £1000 but i want that case!

The case is £150 on its own so i can get the system for £1142 with 2 years collect and return but not from OCUK.

Im trying to do a deal with OCUK but they are not making it easy, if they wont budge ill have to not shop here. And i feel bad due to them being helpful with sorting all the problems with my graphics cards out.

Yeah i dont need an OS i have both 8 and 7 prof 64bit.

so i eithe rpay the £1142 with express building done in 4 days with 2 years collect and return warranty.

Or pay OCUK £1300 which i will not do! Ive been speaking to 5UB be i think i confused him as i give him quotes from another site and he thought they were from OCUK lol.

I can build the spec i want with a crap case for under 1k without an SSD but the SSD is like 180 quid on its own.

I was gonna build myself but the £1142 deal is too good SSD 4.7 OC warranty ect all done plug and play.

Ill try shift the 670 to a 7950 and see what the price is but otherwise ill just pay the £1142. They wanted £66 more for an ASUS 670 i may buy the system with no card and buy my card from OCUK, that means i win win i guess.

Hows the ICE Q? I think ill go with the Gigabtye WF, is this voltage locked or what?

Thanks for help.

Soldato
Yes i can build it myself but if anything goes wrong ill need send bit by bit back :\ Also i dont get the 2 year collect and return warranty.

Well the thing thats bumping the price up is the case lol.

I can get the system for under £1000 but i want that case!

The case is £150 on its own so i can get the system for £1142 with 2 years collect and return but not from OCUK.

Im trying to do a deal with OCUK but they are not making it easy, if they wont budge ill have to not shop here. And i feel bad due to them being helpful with sorting all the problems with my graphics cards out.

Yeah i dont need an OS i have both 8 and 7 prof 64bit.

so i eithe rpay the £1142 with express building done in 4 days with 2 years collect and return warranty.

Or pay OCUK £1300 which i will not do! Ive been speaking to 5UB be i think i confused him as i give him quotes from another site and he thought they were from OCUK lol.

I can build the spec i want with a crap case for under 1k without an SSD but the SSD is like 180 quid on its own.

I was gonna build myself but the £1142 deal is too good SSD 4.7 OC warranty ect all done plug and play.

Ill try shift the 670 to a 7950 and see what the price is but otherwise ill just pay the £1142. They wanted £66 more for an ASUS 670 i may buy the system with no card and buy my card from OCUK, that means i win win i guess.

Hows the ICE Q? I think ill go with the Gigabtye WF, is this voltage locked or what?

Thanks for help.

I almost guarantee I can build a better PC for what you're paying. Or I can build an equivalent for less money. :)

Associate
I almost guarantee I can build a better PC for what you're paying. Or I can build an equivalent for less money. :)

+1

You're better off looking for someone to build the pc for you and buying the parts individually, you don't have to compromise that way and you won't have any regrets. You don't want regrets when paying that much. If you live near me I will build it for you and I'm sure others will offer to help.

Caporegime
Every mobo has a manual and clear instuctions in those for placing everything including the front buttons/usbs. Very easy to do and just make sure you take your time.

A few people replied to the thread you started in GH. Maybe worth paying that a visit.

Soldato
Ive also swapped out for a 7970 now :D

But is there anything wrong with the Asus 7970 Direct CU2?

Why? It's 5% faster for £100 more than a 7950. Don't be so quick to throw your money away when you don't really need a 7970. :)

The ASUS DirectCUII is voltage locked I think. Perhaps not any more but it definitely used to be.

Do you also need to spend quite so much money on a case? You should focus on getting the hardware in before focusing on aesthetics IMO. Especially when you're considering spending ~20% of your budget on a case...

Fine to spend what you like when not on a budget but it's just stupid to spend so much on a relatively modest budget. The money would be better saved and buy a case later down the line.

Last edited:
Associate
I used to buy computers from Dell (Shock,Horror)

When I started building them myself I found I could assemble a PC that put anything Dell had to shame. It was also a lot cheaper too.

hehe same here 14-16 years old I was buying them from dell. At the age of 17 I learnt how to build a pc myself and then relised how much I saved.

Permabanned
OP
Im getting it all in for the same price so i may aswell go 7970, ill see how much hell drop the price for a 7950.

Anyways rusty ive been looking at them cases, both seem nice and the HAF actually looks ok too what do you think?

Im sure i wouldnt need to OC it past stock voltages anyways?

Like i said though its hard to save when getting a PC with these parts and it all built with 2 years collect and return, honestly try it the Fortress case is over £200! I have thought about bit by bit but parts will be from everywhere its just not worth it even if saving £50 like i said.

Back
Top Bottom