• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

how much better is the 7970 over the 670?

Associate

Yes I think this is a better build to be honest. Wouldnt be my choice of case but thats just personal preference. This build has faster ram too, and you could also swap the cooler for an AIO watercooler if required.

Caporegime
Lucky ****, it has a known problem in certain configs to 'disappear', there was a firmware update, but it done nothing in my rig, it still ****** off every other day, resulting in me clambering under my table to unplug both the sata/power in order for it to 're-appear'.

My solution was to change it to M4 and use the Force 3 for games, but although nowhere near as bad, it still went awol from time to time.

The M4 started crashing the system with a 7 month bug as well(that was kept low key by Crucial-they could have sent out bulletins or something tbh), resulting in me buying a Sabertooth as I foolishly never tested the SSD, the only part I never tested.

It was sorted with a firmware update, but I won't get another Corsair or Crucial because of the bad taste they left in my mouth.

I was going to go for the M4 but read about that issue and changed my mind to the Force 3. It isn't the fastest drive but never been a problem. I plugged it in (on varying set ups) and forgot about it. Fantastic drive but could do with being a little quicker (not that a second or 2 would make that much difference).

Return it? or is that just a problem with certain set ups? First I have heard of issues tbf Tommy but I haven't looked for any.

Permabanned
OP
Yes i understand we can all make the basic PC without a high end case for under 1k but the Silverstone Fortress is £200 quid alone, ive decided to go with this case.

Also the ASUS 7970 because of how quiet it is, ive been told its not voltage locked? It does take up 3 slots though!!! Is it worth going MIS LTG for this problem? I maybe CF in the future?

I know im picky about cases and that is a really good case though, the quality is one of the best around.

About the SSD are you sure its not just you? because ive read nowhere about it having problems?

Btw i changed the RAM to faster RAM sorry for not updating.

Last edited:
Soldato
You can have a high end case though... You're just severely limiting yourself by paying so much for what is only looks when on a budget.

The quality is going to be just as good on a far cheaper case.

It's your money that you're throwing away.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok which case is better now!

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-096-SV&groupid=2362&catid=1092&subcat=

http://www.coolermaster.co.uk/product.php?product_id=6757

Ive also swapped out for a 7970 now :D

But is there anything wrong with the Asus 7970 Direct CU2?

The Coolermaster is a good case and well built, it's the case im currently using. It's also had some good reviews. If you did get one! i'd also recommend getting the windowed side panal. It makes it look a lot better IMO!

Permabanned
OP
Its not throwing away though, Look at my Cosmos S it was like £250 4 years back its been amazing.

Ive had bad cases before and its a nightmare! Id keep the cosmos S and save myself a fortune but im selling it with my old PC.

I know other cases will be "just" as good but not as good.

I do know what your saying the case that comes with this setup is a zalman £60 quid case i could pay £30 more and get the one above but i want a high end case.

Its also not saving much by going part by part, some people are saying £300 and even with lesser parts its not £300 and im not gonna sacrafice my SSD size, noway!

The card would save £100 thats the only major saving to be had apart from the case.

Associate
are there any particular features of that case that you need that justify its price? Seems you are aircooling so your requiremants arent that specific. Dont be convinced that it is a high end part just because it has a high end price, that is the trap most apple fanboys fall into. You can get a very good case for around £100 that will have all the cooling capability and expansion slots you need. Unless you are watercooling you dont need to spend £200 on a case but its up to you of course.

Associate
This is my system so far

Corsair Graphite 600T Midi Tower Case in Silver
Intel Core i5 3570K Processor Overclocked to up to 4.7GHz Maybe a i73770k?
Noctua NH-D14 Ultimate Performance Quiet CPU Cooler
Asus P8Z77-V Motherboard
8GB PC3-10666 1333MHz DDR3 Memory (2 x 4GB sticks) Not sure if faster ram would be better?
Gainward GeForce GTX 670 2048MB Graphics Card Maybe a 7970? And a different brand.
240GB Corsair Force 3 Solid State Drive
2000GB 7200RPM Hard Disk - 6Gbps
LG Blu-Ray ROM / DVD-RW Combi Drive (Blu-ray playback software supplied for Windows 7 only)
Corsair CX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified PSU
£1050

trying to match your spec at that price isnt easy. Finding all the components on a few websites and its coming in at 1200 ish (see below). So your quoted price seems ok if you are getting the warranty, express build etc. but you could save on some components without compromising quality. I also tried to match the spec on a couple of system builders website and the closest i can get to the price you quote is ex. VAT

I would look at a cheaper case (in price not in quality) for a start.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well it is.

A cheaper high end case isn't going to disintegrate and disappear. It's still going to be there in 10 years time if you really wanted. Do you really think this case is £100 better from a functional POV? You're paying for looks... I don't know how to be clearer. What exactly do you think you're paying extra for?

It is £200 saving but you just don't want to listen so I'm not sure how to help.

It's OK your priorities are obviously how it looks over how it performs and overall value for money :). It's your money so it's your choice to make though.

Associate
The fortress case isnt particularly nice looking. Its quite basic looking I think, youre just paying for the 90 degrees shifted layout, which is a novelty for most.

Soldato
Can also look at a cheaper CPU cooler. I've got a budget Gelid Tranquillo which cost £25 and it keeps my i7 cool enough.

An i5 will be easier to cool. Another £30 saved :).

Standard 8GB 1600 MHz low profile RAM. A different (still decent) PSU. A case around £100. A 128GB SSD (more than enough for Windows and a handful of games that you're currently playing).

There are things to save a load of money on without sacrificing the actual build in any noticeable way.

Can also drop to a SATA II 3 Gbps 1TB drive as that is likely to be more than enough space and mechanical hard drives don't really benefit from SATA III.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Well i am paying for looks and ive told u that, this is why i wont get the HAF X lol, its ugly!

The Silverstone is also a lot better quality overall. the 90 degress layout is a nice touch also ;)

I think overall £100 for the looks is worth it? I maybe crazy but i do like my cases. It also allows me to watercool in the future if needed, specially with the new consoles.

I could do this with the HAF X easily but again that poor sod is UGLY!

I guess £200 is a nice saving rusty so you were right if i sacrafice card and case i can get £200 back. But i think these 2 changes are worth it, a silent GPU along with a quieter, cooler and more sexy case.

Nah i love the Noctua ;)

I only picked 8GB

Soldato
Well i am paying for looks and ive told u that, this is why i wont get the HAF X lol, its ugly!

The Silverstone is also a lot better quality overall. the 90 degress layout is a nice touch also ;)

It's not better quality at all! All the cases from £100 onwards are pretty similar 'quality'. The layout also means you really need exhaust out the back cards from what I've read. You're getting fooled by the price tag thinking it's exceptional quality when really it's just like most other cases around these price tags (very good).

You're paying extra for the looks and even then there are better looking cases which are the same build quality and cheaper. The look of the case isn't anything really unique and there's hundreds to look through.

You're also limiting yourself now purposefully to certain components where you can save money just to try to justify your decision to go pre built and pretend you're saving money. You aren't - you're paying for it one way or the other.

I hope you actually see this when you're weighing it all up in your head.

Permabanned
OP
What do you mean rusty? Ofc the silverstone is better build quality then the HAF X! It uses much better materials for starters, i know its not on looks with a cosmos s but its better then the HAF X.

Link me some cases you think are similar and i will check them im not ruling anything out yet but i have my mind on certain things that will be hard to change.

The phantom does look better but i dunno about the build quality.

Soldato
What do you mean rusty? Ofc the silverstone is better build quality then the HAF X! It uses much better materials for starters, i know its not on looks with a cosmos s but its better then the HAF X.

I'm not talking about the HAF X I'm talking in general. Getting fooled by that price tag again.

Anyway humour me where's your proof to this claim?

Associate
I have the phantom and it's build quality is excellent. I I agree with rusty, build quality is pretty even at the top end. It's steel construction, so perhaps aluminium cases could be lighter and cooler, but I really can't fault the build quality of the phantom. Good options for water cooling too.

Soldato
Return it? or is that just a problem with certain set ups? First I have heard of issues tbf Tommy but I haven't looked for any.

I was using it as a games drive until last week when I put W8 on it, I totally forgot about the freezing/disappearing until I 'clicked' on why the the W8 kept freezing, it came out last night and sold it on to a friend for very little cash(yes, he knows about the OS problem and is going to use it for games).

Force 3 disappearing problem(OcUK had a huge thread in here last year about it also):

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=O...627b57ea6b812a&bpcl=38897761&biw=1280&bih=671

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom