• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: How much do you think the AMD 5800X3D will cost at launch?

How much do you think the AMD 5800X3D will cost at launch?

• $650 or higher

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • $600 to $649

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • $550 to $599

Votes: 20 15.4%
  • $500 to $549

Votes: 31 23.8%
  • $450 to $499

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • $400 to $449

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • $350 to $399

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • $349 or lower

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
$500+ IMO the 5800X was $399 at launch but since then everything has become more expensive and prices at TSMC are only going up not down.
The 5800X was $449 at launch if I remember correctly so it will definetly be higher than that and will probably set a new pricing standard so people can adjust to the higher prices ready for Zen 4.

Associate
OP
$500+ IMO the 5800X was $399 at launch but since then everything has become more expensive and prices at TSMC are only going up not down.
Are you sure about $399? I thought it was $449?
I remember the price of the 5800X caused a lot of angst at launch because it was such a big jump from the 5600X at $299. It actually made the 5900X look not too bad value.

Associate
OP
To all those wondering why i have dragged Intel into it, it is because the 5800X3D will actuall be competing with the 12900KS but at least wth AMD we get some new technology as opposed to a little extra Mhz
The 12000 is new technology and just come out! The refresh later in the year or maybe early next. As mentioned in the second post, the 3000 series updates were 100Mhz clock bumps - that'll be an extra $50 dollars please. Unfortunately this time the update is not for the masses.

Soldato
Are you sure about $399? I thought it was $449?
I remember the price of the 5800X caused a lot of angst at launch because it was such a big jump from the 5600X at $299. It actually made the 5900X look not too bad value.
I think it was $449, I did do a quick google before I posted to check the launch MSRP and that was the result i found (admittedly I only checked one source) but checking out other sites the $449 is a more common number.

Associate
cant see it selling at 500 quid. it be a fail on arrival since thats higher than 5900x price. everyone gonna jump to intel if amd doesnt lower prices.
Buying new platform is the most expensive path, and new generation cpu-s are coming this year so i doubt anyone will migrate to ADL.

Associate
OP
Why is the poll in dollars lol?
Because it'll be released in US Dollars. Our converted to GPB + Vat + ALittleBitExtraOnTopTax. It makes it easier for comparisons due to exchange rate changes.

Also, yes this is a British based forum but we do have members from all round the world participating so it's easier to stick to the release currency.

Soldato
I mean from perspective of AM4 users, they won't jump to ADL cuz buying 5800x3d is much cheaper than buying Intel whole platform.
Depends if that alleged 7% extra 1080p gaming performance with a 6900XT or 3090 is worth more to people than going from say a basic B450 board to a Z690 with a lot of extra features.

12700k + Z690 isnt much over £500 so if the X3D is over £500 then it will be around the same price for either upgrade.

Associate
Depends if that alleged 7% extra 1080p gaming performance with a 6900XT or 3090 is worth more to people than going from say a basic B450 board to a Z690 with a lot of extra features.

12700k + Z690 isnt much over £500 so if the X3D is over £500 then it will be around the same price for either upgrade.
Intel motherboards cost way more for similar features, and 99.9% AM4 users won't upgrade to ADL platform, gpu gives biggest performance boost and gamers are using every chance and money for gpu. Buying whole new intel platform for 10 fps more at 1080p with 3090 is brainless. Zen 4 is coming this year, if they want whole new platform and fps boost from cpu then Zen 4 with huge IPC bumb is way to go, or staying on current generation and just buying new gpu, btw new generation nvidia and amd gpu are coming this year too.

G J

G J

Associate
The price will get pushed up like other hardware launches if in limited numbers so if its expensive, expect it to get more so.

Intresting about AMD users not wanting to upgrade to ADL was the same situation with anyone on a Intel Mid to high end K cpu as the average game performance at 1080p was around 10fps better on the Hardware Unboxed review so no point in changing to AMD as at the time motherboards where expensive also.

Have to hand it to AMD though giving people great pricing on CPU's (3600 to name one) to lock them into their eco system just to jack to pricing up the next generation to make up the difference and attempt to ditch support for them on older motherboards must have made Intel proud. ;)

Associate
Because it'll be released in US Dollars. Our converted to GPB + Vat + ALittleBitExtraOnTopTax. It makes it easier for comparisons due to exchange rate changes.

Also, yes this is a British based forum but we do have members from all round the world participating so it's easier to stick to the release currency.

Ok that makes sense.

I wonder what the chances are of AMD releasing other processors with 3d cache....

Soldato
Ok that makes sense.

I wonder what the chances are of AMD releasing other processors with 3d cache....

It depends on how long they are making the 7nm + 3D cache chiplets for, and what yields are like as they will probably require the majority of them for Milan-X server parts for a good while. It offers a good option to keep AM4 users happy moving forward if they are able to offer more than one SKU, but it is very rare that an EOL socket gets new parts once the replacement is out.

Soldato
The price will get pushed up like other hardware launches if in limited numbers so if its expensive, expect it to get more so.

Intresting about AMD users not wanting to upgrade to ADL was the same situation with anyone on a Intel Mid to high end K cpu as the average game performance at 1080p was around 10fps better on the Hardware Unboxed review so no point in changing to AMD as at the time motherboards where expensive also.

Have to hand it to AMD though giving people great pricing on CPU's (3600 to name one) to lock them into their eco system just to jack to pricing up the next generation to make up the difference and attempt to ditch support for them on older motherboards must have made Intel proud. ;)

It didn't work for a bunch of us on Zen+ who bypassed Zen3 and spent less on Zen2 based CPUs. A £210ish Ryzen 7 3700X meant a £400+ Ryzen 7 5800X(at the time) was not worth it. It means our platform upgrades will happen a bit earlier,meaning Intel is now a contender.

Soldato
I think it's zero chance now AMD have spoken about the cache's benefits. If you read between the lines of the marketing spiel and interviews, productivity workloads don't benefit anywhere near as much from the cache as gaming does.

So, AMD chose to focus on "best use case" for the cache, and that was to create the ultimate AM4 gaming CPU in the 5800X3D. If you won't see much improvement in productivity workloads then there's little point in "wasting" precious 3D chiplets for 12 and/or 16 cores SKUs. Similarly, with Milan-X taking up the lion's share of the 3D chiplets, that precludes doing the 2nd ultimate AM4 CPU with a 5600X3D.

Back
Top Bottom