how much money do you spend per week..

Soldato
on food?
just seen an advert for sainsbury's claiming that you can feed a family of 4 four £50, i assume by buying their branded stuff.
i live on my own and spend more than £50 on food. granted, i could probably cut that by £10 if i knocked out some of the 'treat's' but still, it sounds like quite a statement for them to make.

Soldato
i live on my own and spend more than £50 on food.

2n1v0n6.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
it's doable but you wouldn't get much in the way of extravagance. If necessary I could feed myself for a pittance a week, would just need to sacrifice variety.

Actually, if you got value branded stuff it's probably pretty easy.

* our food shop is about 70 for 3 adults.

Soldato
the statement they make is kinda false.

that's the food only for £50 with no condiments.

you should be spending less than £50 living on your own.

we spend £40 and there is 3 of us :)

Soldato
I spend about £50 a week on my own too. It's much cheaper shopping for a few people at a Tesco Extra than it is shopping a city centre Tesco for one person.

Yoghurt - £3
Milk - £2
Cereal - £2
Tuna - £3
Fruit - £5
Veg - £5
Juice - £2
Meat - £7
Butter - £2
Crackers - £2
Eggs - £2

And then say £15 on lunches during the week.

There's your £50.

Have the staples in my cupboards.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
How can you spend £50 a week on food by yourself? What do you buy?

meat!

tbh. i probably average about £35-£40 but the past few weekends i have had barbeques and this has tipped it over but it's never less than £35 and is mostly nearer £40. if i treat myself to a bottle of a spirit or a decent wine, i'll easily do £50.

Soldato
I'm on my own and my weekly supermarket shopping bill averages about £30 over the last year, including non-food. I don't buy food anywhere else either (well, not often enough to count anyway).

I know I could cut that bill back quite a bit if I had to though, so the £50 for 4 thing seems easily achievable *if* you have a family which understands the need to be sensible rather than fussy or extravagant... which seems about as likely these days as pigs on the wing!

But when you can get 3kg of pasta for £3, and 6 litres of milk for about £4 eating a good, balanced diet, without too much meat, seems easily achievable on £50, especially if you plan well ahead and take advantage of offers to bulk buy.

Soldato
About £40-45 a week for myself and I eat ridiculously well. I'm a powerlifter and eat about 6 times a day. I spend £35 on meat which include 20 chicken breasts I buy from a local market (I get a deal due to the volume I buy), 8 flank steaks and about the same amount of pork steaks. The rest if pasta, potatoes, mixed vegetables and a lot of milk. I don't buy any wines, crisps or crap. Now and again I buy some spices and sauces but very rarely and if so, very cheaply. Even though I can probably afford to spend thrice as much without blinking an eye, I still get a kick out of finding specials.

Yesterday I managed to get a deal on 50 cod fillets for £25 from a mate who's in buying and selling for a large food chain. Giving myself a break from the pork so next week the food bill will be even lower.

Back
Top Bottom