how much money do you spend per week..

Associate
I think we easily clear £100 a week between the two of us.

It's something we're always trying to sort out, but we inevitably end up doing small nightly shops instead of large weekly shops and it always ends up more expensive.

Beer and wine probably constitute about 20%, cake and chocolate probably about 10% and the rest will be food.

Soldato
We spend £250 per month for the two of us, which includes a couple of bottles of wine and probably a take away in there somewhere. Plenty of chicken and loads of eggs are our biggest expenses. It isn't easy to shop cheaply here too - our milk for example is £1.01 a litre and the cheapest bread we can get is £2+.

I cook all meals from scratch and batch cook so probably spend £150 on meat for 3 months. We don't buy cerial but just buy bits to make musli and works out so much cheaper.

I do not (and have not) bought own brand food, certainly no pre-made stuff so we don't try and eat cheaply but it just works out that way.

It's something we're always trying to sort out, but we inevitably end up doing small nightly shops instead of large weekly shops and it always ends up more expensive.
We shop nearly daily and I find it's cheaper as most of the ingredients we buy wouldn't last the week anyway.

Last edited:
Associate
I don't think it's about how much you spend, but what you spend it on!

My partner and I eat almost exclusively fresh foods which we find works out cheaper than living out of the freezer and so much tastier. Obviously there are a few things that are much more practical to purchase already processed but other than those, we stick to fresh foods where possible and cook them ourselves. We also bake our own bread and rarely purchase any unless we run out of ingredients.

Planning one's meals on say a 14/21 day rota can also reduce wastage, which I confess we were very much guilty of.
We eat a lot of things like potatoes so instead of purchasing small bags, we'll buy them in 12.5 or even 25 kilo bags and that saves quite a bit. The same goes for lots of foods..it's often far cheaper to buy larger quantities than smaller ones so, if you can use it up before it goes off, it makes sense to buy it that way.
My partner is always on the lookout for 2 fo 1's which also reduces the bills if it fits in with one's purchasing and usage.

What I do find amazing sometimes is just how much some families spend on frozen or processed foods... you'll often see them in the supermarkets piling up their trollies with only frozen meals and almost no fresh foods... mabe they are the ones who's kids will only eat burgers and chips etc?

Associate
What I do find amazing sometimes is just how much some families spend on frozen or processed foods... you'll often see them in the supermarkets piling up their trollies with only frozen meals and almost no fresh foods... mabe they are the ones who's kids will only eat burgers and chips etc?

I know some people who do this, the most annoying thing is that they march straight past all the fresh produce and deli counters and start with their freezer produce first.

Not only is the freezer produce more defrosted when they get home but they are bored of shopping when they get to the glorious fresh food, so they then proceed to just get a few staples and move onto paying.

IDIOTS :mad:

Soldato
£30-40 a fortnight for myself. I diet basically consists of meat, potato and onions :p
Though I do make most of my meals myself, which massively reduces cost.

E.g. a Huge pot of chilli will last me three days, and cost less than a tenner. Big portions as well

Associate
Me and the girlfriend spend about £60 a week between us. A nice chunk of this is on meat as we have it with most meals. It also takes into our weekly creative day where we make something for the family (4-5 of us) like a big curry from scratch and a home made dessert. Could easily spend more though with the amount of tasties in sight wandering around the shop.

kai

kai

Soldato
last weeks shopping bill was just over £74.00 for me and the misses for the week. The majority is fresh meat for me, I am currently go through a lot of chicken, steak and mince a week.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I don't think it's about how much you spend, but what you spend it on!

My partner and I eat almost exclusively fresh foods which we find works out cheaper than living out of the freezer and so much tastier...
Same here. We eat almost exclusively fresh food and only free range meat and eggs. Our £55/week between us also includes at least one bottle of wine as well, that's why I was surprised it was so low!

Permabanned
I buy very little processed or any sweet snacks. All my money goes on fruit, veg, meat, salami, nuts, booze and fizzy water. Living alone I spend 50 quid a week no problem on this lot, but the booze can add a tenner to that easy. Also I find shopping in Asda saves me a lot compared to Waitrose, which unfortunately is the closest supermarket. I also have an Iceland close but their fruit and veg is crap and overpriced, so I have to go elsewhere anyway.

Back
Top Bottom