• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How often do you upgrade your CPU and Motherboard

5-7 years moving forward I think unless I really get into gaming again (unlikely but I still do occasionally) or need the grunt. Long term average since 2008 is probably around 4.5 years. I run two systems since 2017, a main and then a spare/backup. The main system becomes the backup when I upgrade. Upgraded recently where the previous upgrade was May 2019. I may drag its use out as long as possible this time as an aim is to spend time abroad in future so will likely find a laptop preferable then.

Last edited:
Last October I went from Asus Z68 motherboard and Intel i5 2500k to AMD 7800X3D and Asus B650E Gaming E WiFi combo, the i5 2500k was 11 years old lol, I upgrade when I feel I need to or get a big urge rather then just keeping up with the "Joneses".

:)

5-7 years. Been on AM4 since 2019, skipping AM5 altogether and will wait until AM6. Absolutely no need to spend hundreds for marginal gains IMO.
I am on AM4/X570/32GB RAM and a 16 GB 4080. since 2020 (covid). Still works well. However newer games might hurt it going forwards but as yet all ok

Prices are pretty good just now. Silly amounts processing power are available for not a lot of money.

I disagree, they're terrible, this isn't new tech, ok so 2 years is not long in a cycle but still. It's not new. £700-800 to upgrade and for what?

A quick basket. A rough guestimate at what I would get, wnating it to last me 5 years plus, as AM4 already has.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...800c30-6000mhz-dual-channel-ki-my-0b6-tg.html (x2 I'd want 64GB now)

Last edited:
See basket added.

Seems you want the latest releases plus a large amount of memory for 5 years down the road.

7950X, A620, 48/64gb is doable for £650. Drop down to 7900X or 7900X3D and 32gb and you’re closer to £400. To me prices seem pretty good right now.

My open
Seems you want the latest releases plus a large amount of memory for 5 years down the road.

7950X, A620, 48/64gb is doable for £650. Drop down to 7900X or 7900X3D and 32gb and you’re closer to £400. To me prices seem pretty good right now.

My opening post on this thread stated I upgrade every 5-7 years.

If i'm upgrading every 5-7 years, I'm not going to buy something that's a half measure am I?

I don't think prices are pretty good right now I think they're terrible, people have just been conditioned to think outrageous pricing is now acceptable. But that's another matter.

My open

My opening post on this thread stated I upgrade every 5-7 years.

If i'm upgrading every 5-7 years, I'm not going to buy something that's a half measure am I?

I don't think prices are pretty good right now I think they're terrible, people have just been conditioned to think outrageous pricing is now acceptable. But that's another matter.

But you do understand that’s a distortion and it’s actually your personal choices that are inflating the costs?

Depends what your end goal is... You can build a very good gaming pc for about 1200 to 1500 quid... Same as you could ten years ago etc.

Of course you can easily blow that budget to bits if you just randomly throw a bunch of fancy pants parts together rather than analyzing what you really need as opposed to what looks shiney and cool.

Depends what your end goal is... You can build a very good gaming pc for about 1200 to 1500 quid... Same as you could ten years ago etc.

Of course you can easily blow that budget to bits if you just randomly throw a bunch of fancy pants parts together rather than analyzing what you really need as opposed to what looks shiney and cool.

Probably the less said about desktop GPU prices the better. Those generally are terrible value.

Probably the less said about desktop GPU prices the better. Those generally are terrible value.

True but if you just look at the total net cost of building a new base unit rather than individual parts you can build something very good for similar money as you would ten years ago.
And if you can carry some parts over such as case, PSU and storage then that's better again.

Example, I'm using an ancient lian li case... Was a expensive at the time but it's on its third build now and should technically last forever unless I just fancy something different or with better provision for AIO etc.. But I'm on air cooling so I don't care.. So that's easily a hundred quid I don't have to budjet for when upgrading.

Back
Top Bottom