• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How often do you upgrade your CPU and Motherboard

True but if you just look at the total net cost of building a new base unit rather than individual parts you can build something very good for similar money as you would ten years ago.
And if you can carry some parts over such as case, PSU and storage then that's better again.

Example, I'm using an ancient lian li case... Was a expensive at the time but it's on its third build now and should technically last forever unless I just fancy something different or with better provision for AIO etc.. But I'm on air cooling so I don't care.. So that's easily a hundred quid I don't have to budjet for when upgrading.

Depends what you wanted to build. 10 years ago £500 would pretty comfortably get you something at least approaching top tier desktop and £350 generally offered a good bang for your buck. Today not so much. Plus it’s not a simple case of fitting a GPU to ann existing system with the size, power requirements and heat output.

Last edited:
A few years ago - all the time. More often than changing my underwear.

2700X
3700X

Now - less so. I have less disposable income. Things are more expensive. I have more responsibilities with family.
I'm not even really that inspired by the new games coming out.

was going to move to 7000 with AM5 but had a terrible experience with Asus and dodgy motherboards.

So I'm on a 5700X3d paired with a 4070ti and will likely keep that for a while.

Last edited:
So I'm on a 5700X3d paired with a 4070ti and will likely keep that for a while.

at 1440 im hoping my same ish spec will last a good while, like you say all the new ish games are poo TBF im still just playing games from a year or 2 ago.
the only reson i would upgrade now is if the 8000 X3D chip drop and there insane and well priced

Edit 8000 chips will drop into a B650 right?

Last edited:
Intel 2500k which was heavily overlocked > Intel 9700k > waiting for new X3d chips

So not very often as improvements in CPU performance have been woeful for a while.

al depends when it needed(wanted). when i cant game comfortably.

hoping my current set up will last a year or two more

Absolutely this..
If memory serves my last 3 systems have been..

Q6600

If it's primarily a gaming machine it makes little sense to buy bleeding edge processors and put a bit more money into the GPU

Absolutely this..
If memory serves my last 3 systems have been..

Q6600

If it's primarily a gaming machine it makes little sense to buy bleeding edge processors and put a bit more money into the GPU

You should definitely put the bulk of your upgrade spend into your monitor (if needed/wanted) and your GPU, over the CPU. I actually think the best gaming upgrade you'll make is to get whatever your endgame monitor set up is.

CPU upgrades tend to make less of a difference than GPU. Gone are the golden days when each generation was twice the power, these days it tends to be small fractions, so I usually upgrade every two or three generations.

At the moment I have a 12700K and plan on getting a 15th gen early next year. That will be a new motherboard, CPU and RAM. Oh, and I need to up my cooling so I will be going from an air cooler to a water cooler. So it's about £1000, which I spent last year, but that was a GPU.

GPU's are too expensive now, so for the first time ever I will not be buying one this coming generation, I will miss out the 5000 and go for maybe the 6000 or even the 7000.

I recently upgraded two old PC's that I have. I used to keep my old gaming motherboards and CPU's and use them for media PC's. With the price rises in electricity and the good market in 2nd hand parts, I sold the 9000 series parts and bought two new motherboards and 12X00T CPU's. From now on I will not keep my old gaming PC's, the intention is to sell the parts on ebay.

Last edited:
CPU upgrades tend to make less of a difference than GPU. Gone are the golden days when each generation was twice the power, these days it tends to be small fractions, so I usually upgrade every two or three generations.

Those days are pretty much over now. The advent of graphics APIs and the end of resolution scaling means the CPU plays a pivotal role in determining image quality and frame rates.

I have had my I9 7980XE for 7 years, probably wont be upgrading for another 3. It plays games just fine at the moment. Although I did need to change the motherboard 2 times since then, due to failure caused by overclocking, and stability at all cores at 4.5GHz. I have since given up on overclocking as at stock it runs just fine, and 2 cores still hit 4.5GHz with none of the instability

Back
Top Bottom