How quickly can you row 1000 metres?

Soldato
The guy who runs our gym circuit is a rower, and he's helped me no end since I've started circuits. I used to have the settings wrong, an awkward technique and like most people, used to pull like crazy (over 30 SPM). I now pull harder, but more fluid at about 26/27 I think.

Thats interesting, i usually row much faster than 26spm, any pointers on proper technique?

Nate

Soldato
OP
Thats rubbish! I could do 1:50 when I was 14 and I was tiny, it was probably on an easy setting or something though :p

Maybe your rower was crap :p

We have a dodgy rowing machine at gym, the figures come up double over any other rowing machine. So if I did 1000m on it, it would only take me about 1:45 or so.

Associate
Um...I hate to break this to you but 1000m is the distance they row in the Paralympics. All able bodied events are over 2000m.

Associate
The guy who runs our gym circuit is a rower, and he's helped me no end since I've started circuits. I used to have the settings wrong, an awkward technique and like most people, used to pull like crazy (over 30 SPM). I now pull harder, but more fluid at about 26/27 I think.

Same and that speed is usually okay to keep the 500 time at 1.50-2.00. However, when the sprint starts the peak i can reach is about 35ish strokes/pm. Though this can only lasts the final 300m of the 2k or so (getting the /500 time to the mid 1.30s) or i wouldnt be able to finish :D.

Caporegime
Nice - Less than a minute over Matthew Pinsent's best UK record time.
Aye, the thing that lets me down is my lack of height. Whilst I can make up for it on the water, on an erg I'll lose every time to a rower at the same fitness level as me, who is over 6 feet.

Associate
under 7minutes is very impressive, theres a few guys at leeds uni who can get 6.20-6.30 and a lot who pull 6.40's regulary. these guys are masssssssive though.

Caporegime
These rowing machines??, i take it they are for cardio only or do they actually buld muscle??. If so which muscles do they build??. Reason why im asking is because i have some money thats itching to be spent and am looking at perhaps buying one of those concept 2 rowers. I used one in a the gym that i used to go to but that was a yr ago and since then havent really bothered. Plus i have a gym setup at my home so tend to workout in the comfort of my home.

Soldato
Rowing uses every major muscle group as well as providing a good CV workout. It's great as long as you are careful to maintain good technique so you don't tweak your back :)

Man of Honour
Hmm ok, was wondering if they are any good for strengthening the lower back muscles as mine could do with some serious toning...

Not a good choice of words, you'll be lucky if one of the big guys here doesn't get upset. ;)

A rower should be quite good for strengthening your back though provided you focus on your technique and make sure your form is good so that you do not injure yourself. Perhaps if you post what your current routine is then someone else who knows more could advise you on what will help the most. :)

Caporegime
Doing an hour a day on an erg tones you pretty well tbh :p

Yes, "rowing" is very good for strengthening you core muscles, which includes the lower back. However, unless you get the technique spot on (much like squatting/any weight lifting), you can do yourself serious damage.

Erging is not good for rowing technique. It's only a staple part of rowers land training because of just how bloody fit it makes you; following a decent training plan (UT1/UT2/AT1) will make you seriously fit.

Edit: But it won't build major muscle defintion/mass. You need to support rowing with a decent weights routine.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is there anywhere I can read up about rowing techniques? I've really started to enjoy rowing, and I'm told I've got a good build for it (6'1", quite long limbs lol). I'd like to knock some good 1-2k times if I knew the proper technique and had a bit more fitness.

Soldato
Is there anywhere I can read up about rowing techniques? I've really started to enjoy rowing, and I'm told I've got a good build for it (6'1", quite long limbs lol). I'd like to knock some good 1-2k times if I knew the proper technique and had a bit more fitness.

Not sure whether you mean rowing/sculling or indoor rowing, but have a look here for some info. There are links at the bottom to posters which show you the correct techniques for each.

Soldato
OP
Meh, the quickest time for 1000m in the gym is now 3:16.

I'm not sure if my body can do that. Maybe a couple of months ago when I was doing weights, but not with my tendon injury!

Meh

Caporegime
Doing an hour a day on an erg tones you pretty well tbh :p

Yes, "rowing" is very good for strengthening you core muscles, which includes the lower back. However, unless you get the technique spot on (much like squatting/any weight lifting), you can do yourself serious damage.

Erging is not good for rowing technique. It's only a staple part of rowers land training because of just how bloody fit it makes you; following a decent training plan (UT1/UT2/AT1) will make you seriously fit.

Edit: But it won't build major muscle defintion/mass. You need to support rowing with a decent weights routine.

Cheers mate, i will be doing weights along with rowing if i decide to go for the concept 2 rower.

When you say technique??, what do you mean??. I thought it was just a case of getting on it and start rowing ie slide forward then push back with your legs with the rope in your hands??. IS there a special technique that needs to be followed??.

EDIT: Sorry just saw Philtyphils link..having a look at it now.

Back
Top Bottom