How quickly can you row 1000 metres?

Caporegime
Indoor for now; I can't see myself on the water at this time of year anyway! :D

Thanks for the link.

IS there a special technique that needs to be followed??.

EDIT: Sorry just saw Philtyphils link..having a look at it now.
Afraid to say guys, there is only one way to learn the technique. Get yourselves to a rowing club and get taught. Or; if you see someone in the gym who is clearly a rower, try approaching them for advice.

It's not just a case of pull the rope Spawn, indeed that is completely the wrong thing to do :p. The legs and lower back/stomach do all the work. The arms are just used to control the blade height, feather, and maintain blade speed around the finish (hence why erging is bad for rowing technique - it emphasises the arm pull).

Caporegime
1329808554_0957e69a2d_o.jpg

How's that :p

Man of Honour
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1332/1329808554_0957e69a2d_o.jpg[img]

How's that :p[/QUOTE]

Err, Tony Hart hasn't got anything to worry about just yet. :p

Not entirely sure what you mean about step 2, I've always treated that point as where I'm gathering myself in (e.g. knees coming up, and hands in position) ready to explode out again into the drive phase. That might be what you mean but I wasn't clear on that. :)

Caporegime
Just that the hands come over, then the body, before the knees break at all.

Not that your hands will break if you don't move them over your knees!

Soldato
Can anyone recommend me a half decent rowing machine for home?

What sort of price range will i be looking at?

Want to get fit & tone up a bit :).

Man of Honour
The best rowing machines I know of are the Concept 2s, brand new you would be looking at about a grand though and residual values were pretty strong last time I heard.

It might be easier to post a budget and have someone who knows a bit recommend the best in the price range. :)

Associate

Has to be a Concept 2, if you are serious about it. Times from other machines are not comparable.

Platypus: decent time that, what kind of build are you?

Oh... 2k 6:53

15k in under an hour

67kg :D

Caporegime

What sort of price range will i be looking at?

Want to get fit & tone up a bit :).
You might want to try a local gym, as they usually sell off old rowing machines. Plenty on egay.

Platypus: decent time that, what kind of build are you?
Average hight, fairly slim, very strong. Good lightweight rowing build.

Soldato
I don't often go on the rower but I thought i'd have a bash tonight at doing 500m. Did it in 2 minutes dead. Not bad but not great. I think I could have gone faster had I done it fresh, but I'd been doing weights for 30mins prior though.

Associate
If you are unfamiliar with the rower getting someone who knows the technique (and actually knows, not think they know ;)) would produce the biggest gains.

I assume you row OTW Platypus?

Associate
There are some pretty outstanding times there. My usual routine is to do 5k which takes me 20 minutes on the erg. Nearly broke the 20 minute barrier but I'm on 20.06 at the moment.

500m I can do it in 1.36 but wouldn't like to try 2.5k at that pace.

It's great but Erging can be torture when you're really going for it.. :)

Anyone who wants to take up rowing it's one of the best forms of cardio out there. After trying one out at the gym I bought a model D Concept 2 with a PM3 monitor in October 2008 and have never looked back. Off Ebay, it was the best £650 I've ever spent and it won't take long to give me the payback against gym fees. It's nice to play some counterstrike source for an hour or so and then decide to go for a row. :) Don't ask me what I wear for the rowing though.... ;)

If you cross train with other activities you're also going to get into great shape. I combine erging with freestyle lap swimming at my local uni pool and cycling when the weather is half decent. I'm thinking about taking up jogging in the spring too.

Especially if you're overweight erging is low impact (as said above, read up on technique or get someone who knows what they are doing to watch you) activity and the weight will fall off if you combine it with the right foods.

Check out Cracknell and Pinsent in this vid to see a superb race.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JbuESIPFfz4

Erg on!

Also, a good rowing technique vid is this one. I found it to be very useful

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eqVmMd7FdAA

Last edited:
Caporegime
Never done a 2k, last year I rowed on the work machines after we entered the local Wallingford Town regatta and won the novice class.

10 of us did 2000mile for charity (Around the UK once) I used to do 5-8k stints depending how I was feeling. 200miles over 3 months worked out at quite a lot a week (only had access to rowers at work)

Best one was in the early weeks when i did 5k in 19.04.

I also did 8k with a 7:08 first 2k, obviously slowed down a bit after that.

Nothing too serious though and I'm hardly the fittest of people.

Associate
not sure about 1000m but i do do 5 mins rowing machine for my warm up before weights and yesterday i ended on 1270m. will try and rember to take note tomorrow. tbf fella you aint no slouch :)

Back
Top Bottom