How to brew your own beer - The All Grain method

Soldato
^^YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY someone finally responded :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

We are so excited now its bubbling and everything /starts dancing and singing!!
It was great fun to make hehe it looked like a poorly person when it was cooking as it had the sleeping bag around it with a pillow on top and a thermometer poking out its "mouth"
Will post pictrures of the tasting. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Cool! :D

Just brewed a clearout brew yesterday.

Finished off a sack of pale malt (3.5kg) and added just 45g of black malt.

Was expecting just off straw colour (TT landlordish) but got deep copper. Should lighten off once the crud has dropped out.

Hops were:-

60 mins
33.00 g Whitbread Golding Variety (WGV) [6.06 %] - Boil
9.00 g Challenger [8.24 %] - Boil
3.00 g Goldings, East Kent [5.60 %] - Boil

10 mins
11.00 g Bobek [3.60 %] - Boil

Flame out
20.00 g Bobek [3.60 %] - Aroma Steep

End taste - who knows. I'll send you one ;)

Associate
We bottled and barreled "Don't Tell The Inlaws" last night. It had an immense amount of break floating as a solidish layer on the top. Ewww.
It's a lovely orange/amber color, and was really clear straight out of the fermenter. Not quite like London Pride, but there is a resemblance.

We won't send you a bottle of this one The Blue, as I'm not certain if it will be ok or not with that much crud and our inexperience bottling. We've got a couple of bottles set aside for the brewers in the OcUK staff to get their thoughts and (hopefully) constructive criticisms. But I'm off work some of next week, so me and MrsSeakitchen are planning to do a couple more brews now we have more of an idea what we're supposed to do. We'll send you a bottle of whichever of those turns out better though, and would really love a bottle swap with you.
I'm wanting to do a hoppy APA, loads of cascade, and I think MrsSeakitchen is thinking a more traditional ale (she's a big fan of Everards Tiger). Should be fun and a brilliant mix of styles.

Associate
I think it depends if you are needing everything from scratch, and how DIY and low tech you are prepared to go.
I've read of people using mango chutney barrels modified by fitting the elements out of supermarket value kettles to make budget boilers. A fermenting bucket costs £8-15. If you've already got loads of glass beer bottles, a capper would be about £10, and caps a few pounds for a bag full. While you technically may not need a wort chiller (and we have not got one yet), I think it makes things much easier and potentially much quicker, and safer (there is less risk of other nasties infecting your brew if you can pitch your yeast as soon as possible). As for a mash tun, we're currently not using one and are mashing in a cloth bag directly in the boiler (much to the horror of our local brew shop owner).
Grain you're looking about £5 for a brew (if you buy in bulk), hops can vary depending on the recipe, but perhaps £1-10 (depending on the hops used and the amount required).
We went for this boiler while it is reduced (till early next month I think, but I can' remember the exact date) http://www.nisbets.co.uk/manual-fill-water-boiler/CC193/xc-cc193/ProductDetail.raction and I didn't want to do DIY when it comes to mixing boiling hot sugary water and electrics.
For a less DIY kit, search on www.brewuk.com for all grain starter set.

If you've got things from kit brewing, that's a good start. If you haven't, I'd maybe get that first, as you'll use it for all grain anyway.

Best Regards

Soldato
Cool, thanks for the post, very informative!

When I briefly looked into it, it seemed quite expensive, although this just seems due to the boiler?

Associate
If you are buying new like we did, the boiler is the biggest single outlay. A pre-made wort chiller is £60ish, but apparently you can make them for about £30-40. I don't fancy this as I don't have a blowtorch to solder it, and I'm not wanting to bend copper piping as if I get it wrong and it kinks it would be useless anyway. I'd rather pay a bit more and know it's going to be done for me.
As for boiler pricing, as I say, I've seen on other forums people making boilers for about £30-40 from cobbled together bits. I just didn't want to risk it myself.
I think it can be as basic of as professional as you want/can afford.
We've done kits for about a year, and we'd tried making a couple of small batches of all grain using a jam kettle I borrowed from my mum, to make 1 gallon brews. They were frankly rubbish, but I wanted to learn the basics, the principals and processes, before investing more in kit to do on a 5 gallon scale.
Have you done any kits or anything like that Dunks?

Associate
LOL. Fair enough. Did you ever see the Neil Morrisey programme where they pretty much did this (and then many steps beyond too). They'd never brewed, went to a shop and bought a set of all grain kit, brewed a beer. Opened a pub and started a brewery. Mental, but brilliant at the same time.
I can't offer huge amounts of advice from experience, as we've only done one bigger batch so far, and wow was that a learning thing. But I now know how I want to mod the boiler from standard to create clearer wort going to the fermenter.
There are a few more details about this brew here.

Associate
Well, we've just had All Grain no. 1, Don't Tell The Inlaws with our tea and a Dr Who DVD. Bliss.
lZGl6.jpg

Will start brewing all grain 2 probably tommorow. To make the same again as it's great, or try something else. Oh, it's a dilemma.

Soldato
managed to pick up a stainless steel 33l pot from Germany posted for £33 so im on the way to making a all grain set up, what are people using as a mash tun? are most using cooler box's? if not what else?

Associate
We're currently doing brew in a bag, so were using the boiler itself for mashing. We get the water to the correct temperature, and then wrap it with a sleeping bag and pillows to keep it fairly insulated, and dough in the grain. Then we just lift out the bag.

Soldato
german ebay, got the link from over at the hombrew forum, got some cracking stuff, thinking of picking up a insulated stainless pot as a mash tun.

They don't list England as a delivery option but if you contact them via email and they are more than happy to accommodate, ill sort the link to there page, you will have to go through german ebay as if you use the english one they come up with selling nothing.

here you go

here

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom