How to brew your own beer - The All Grain method

Soldato
I have an interview for a teaching course on Wednesday, and need to do a five minute presentation where I teach the group how to do something. I'm going to do it on all grain beer. :D

One

One

Soldato
I have an interview for a teaching course on Wednesday, and need to do a five minute presentation where I teach the group how to do something. I'm going to do it on all grain beer. :D

If it's kids you're teaching you might want to check you are allowed to talk about alcohol, there could be some pathetic rules surrounding the glamorisation of drink.

Soldato
I'm not going to be using any photos. I was going to get to my LBS today but couldn't get there in time, but hopefully manage to get to one tomorrow morning. It would be good to have a bag of grain, malt, and yeast just to allow some interaction and what not.

desires, it's an English as a foreign language course (CELTA) and this is just the interview for it. The folk just want to see how you convey information and that sort of thing I suppose so I think beer production will be fine.

Soldato
Nice!

Just starting a summer IPA hop bomb.

4.8kg maris
100g dark crystal

Boil Ingredients
15.00 g Cascade [7.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 13.3 IBUs
10.00 g Citra [14.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 14.8 IBUs
15.00 g Cascade [7.90 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 4.8 IBUs
15.00 g Citra [14.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 8.9 IBUs

Steeped Hops
20.00 g Citra [14.50 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
20.00 g Cascade [7.90 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs

Should taste like fruit salad :D

Soldato
2iiis2h.jpg

Picture from early last week, cloud nearly gone now :)

Tastes like fruit salad in a glass, passion fruit, grapefruit, peach, malt :)

Soldato
first AG under my belt and what a torturous ordeal it was lol, everything went wrong.

couldnt get a very vigorous boil going and had what i came to realize a decent layer of stuff on the surface that hid the fact i had any sort of boil going for a good half hour :(
aaeadb2a.jpg

i ladled it off and started the timer with my first hop addition, stella for bittering.
d7d82f06.jpg

it boiled short and i had to add 2 liter of water after the boil and my hydro cacked up too so no idea on OG though it should be pretty strong.
once the boil or vigerous simmer had finished i could not submerge the boiler in water as it had the element in the bottom, i have had to transfer to the fv and leave overnight to chill.
88682bac.jpg

pitched yeast this morning after transferring to another fv to aerate the wort and hopefully it has avoided any infection or nastys. on the whole i realy enjoyed the day but must get a wort chiller and plan more next time

boiler and grain bill
91133cc1.jpg

04013fa6.jpg

Soldato
Should be great! The 1st one always tastes the best :D

I've built a new boiler today. Stripped the expensive burco style boiler and bought a 6 quid ebay 35 litre petfood container.
I'm just boiling 25 litres of a Guinnish (guinness inspired brew) to try it.

It's going well so far, I'm spot on the gravity as well :D

Soldato
My element is from a 10l burco boiler, I had to bend the element to raise it and I'm hoping I havnt damaged it, it gets the water rolling and get the wort down to volume it just doesn't seem very vigorous. Maybe it just isn't big enough for 33l, Internet said it was 3kw.

Soldato
That would make it 13.5 amps. Burco manual says 2520-3000W over the range so i'd guess the 10 lite would be the 2.5kw

should be loads.

My 30 litre burco style was 2.4kw

My new element is 2.4kw and it's rolling 25 litres fine

Last edited:
Associate
Well a recipe we've done a few times we've tried again but using US-05 rather than S-04. Wow, a big difference. A maltier taste, but almost acidic/vinegary to start with. After about 10 days in the barrel it's smoother, but still there a bit. I'm hoping it's not an infection. I'd have thought though if it were the acidic taste would have got worse.
So we'll just leave it longer to condition. And stock up on S-04 yeasties.

Soldato
It will cost me a smidgen over £11 for 40 pints of ~5.6% ipa. Less when I invest in a 25kg bag of base malt.

I recon my latest brew (guinness clone)

3kg pale malt = £3
900g flaked barley = £1
450g Roasted barley = 50p
35g Target hops = 50p

Weights and prices rounded off.

Total of £5 for 40 pints or 12.5p a pint! (+electric and water)

Equipment costs than kit brewing but divided by number of brews = pence a go.

My new boiler cost £28 to make and is way easier than my old one at 50+.

Other equipment is same as any other home brew apart from a thermometer and some bottles or a keg.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom