How to getthe best out of Octopus Flux

My export is supposed to have gone live today, so now I wait in anticipation to see if I get paid for the 32kWh I exported.

Some indications of it being live are starting to show on the Octopus website, so hopefully tomorrow it will show my exports.

Without putting too much thought into it, I think it makes more sense to charge the battery between 2am and 5am, then run off battery/solar/export excess, then export as much as possible in the peak period, but keep enough back to see us through to 2am. I'm assuming 90% efficiency charging/discharging via inverter each way.

Imports:

• 14kWh imported at Flux rate = £2.99
  • 4.3kWh at day rate = £1.47
  • Standing charge = £0.48
  • Total import costs = £4.94

Exports:

• 24kWh exported at day rate = £5.56
  • 8kWh export at peak rate = £2.94

• Total export value = £8.50

So, £4.94 - £8.50 = -£3.56

So I should be around £3.56 up

Still waiting for export to be done. Surprised you used 4.34 during the day!

Think in your case with the Victron it definitely makes sense to charge everything up, for me I'd be losing some generation opportunity but will play around with it over the coming weeks once its all up and running.

It was set to charge from 2am until 4pm, which means it won't use any battery in that period, so everything we used before the PV was producing enough came from the grid. The day rate is 34.18p, yet peak export is 36.85p, but if you take into account efficiency losses we'll be getting back less than what we pay to import at day rate, also the battery carries on charging until full, you can see below that it stopped charging a 5:42 or there abouts, thus 42 minutes at the day rate. So I'm going to set it only to charge between 2am and 5am, then we'll just run off the battery until solar kicks in, some of the excess can be exported in the peak window, I think that makes most sense.

I'm only charging the battery with half power at the moment, once the second battery is installed I'll charge at full power of 8kW (70amps into each battery), but still wouldn't completely fill circa 29kWh of battery storage in three hours.

AC-Input-Power-2023-04-11.jpg

So my octopus account has moved to complete with a note to say they're asking for an export mpan to be set up. Even though I'm already with them for export. Stupid system.

I'm really not that impressed with Octopus's systems, seems a bit of a mess. App is slow to update, data is missing, app says my DD is £301, website says my DD is £150 after I changed it a week ago. App doesn't show cost of energy used on Flux yet. Weird messages when changing to Flux export, I and others got emails saying our change from another provider was complete as if we'd changed utility companies.

I'm really not that impressed with Octopus's systems, seems a bit of a mess. App is slow to update, data is missing, app says my DD is £301, website says my DD is £150 after I changed it a week ago. App doesn't show cost of energy used on Flux yet. Weird messages when changing to Flux export, I and others got emails saying our change from another provider was complete as if we'd changed utility companies.
Yeh the admin for changed aint the best, as they have one system that does it all…so it does make it look like your changing companies. Its a tad annoying, but its getting better

It mentions this when you sign up to export, you probably skipped reading that part, its there but they don't make a big thing about it

Mines in a weird state, says its missing then if I play with the week setting it appears.

Yeah same, not been as smooth as I expected, that and they ask for emails, expect a reply within a few hours, i've sent a couple over the last week, as I'm not in a mega rush and not received a response to any of them. It's almost like it's too difficult so left in the pile.

Back
Top Bottom