*** How to obtain a bike license ***

Soldato
I’m hoping to get mine done as soon as possible again after winter. Although no sign of winter yet so thinking of maybe booking in sooner, not sure yet as don’t have any holidays left. So may have to be next year anyway.

Ridden my 600 for what 4years now :/. Having to do it all again is a pain to say the least.

Next bike I’m thinking bandit 1200. Possibly even a custom street fighter. Something a long those lines. Not a big fan of the newer naked bikes. Still prefer the round headlights.

Soldato
I’m hoping to get mine done as soon as possible again after winter. Although no sign of winter yet so thinking of maybe booking in sooner, not sure yet as don’t have any holidays left. So may have to be next year anyway.

Ridden my 600 for what 4years now :/. Having to do it all again is a pain to say the least.

Next bike I’m thinking bandit 1200. Possibly even a custom street fighter. Something a long those lines. Not a big fan of the newer naked bikes. Still prefer the round headlights.
Why do you have to do your tests again?

Soldato
Why do you have to do your tests again?
A2 to full A

Same theory, same tests just slightly more powerful bike. Can be as little as 7bhp difference lol.

Doing them again doesn’t so much bother me as I know I wouldn’t find them all that difficult. It’s just having the time to do them now and obviously about another £500, that’s what I’ve been quoted anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
A2 to full A

Same theory, same tests just slightly more powerful bike. Can be as little as 7bhp difference lol.

Doing them again doesn’t so much bother me as I know I wouldn’t find them all that difficult. It’s just having the time to do them now and obviously about another £500, that’s what I’ve been quoted anyway.
How old were you when you took your A2? You could have taken your A test after 2 years unless you just chose to stay on A2 for another 2 years?

Soldato
How old were you when you took your A2? You could have taken your A test after 2 years unless you just chose to stay on A2 for another 2 years?

I was 19.

23 now and could have done it 2 years ago but not really left me wanting to do it again until recently. As been keeping by on my 600 plenty fast enough 80-85hp ish. Been a good bike and haven’t really thought about upgrading it, or been too bothered.

I was reading up about changes in 2017/2018 so why I’ve waited a bit and nothing’s happened. Then changes in 2019, why again I’ve waited a bit.

Few times I’ve decided to get it done but with the time I’ve been trying to arrange it. And the only test centre in 50 miles or so. Not many holidays or days off myself or dates too far apart from test.

But I’m guessing I’ll just have to get it done probably as soon as winter is over next year.

Have rang today seeing about dates but nothing of any use until end of December. At which I’d just rather wait until winter is over now.

Associate
My understanding was that if you have had your A2 for 2+ years and aren't the minimum age for the A license, excluding progressive access routes, then you don't have to retake the theory test. Has this changed?

Soldato
My understanding was that if you have had your A2 for 2+ years and aren't the minimum age for the A license, excluding progressive access routes, then you don't have to retake the theory test. Has this changed?

Maybe should have explained that clearer. No don’t have to redo the theory just mod1+2.

I just meant it was essentially the exact same tests/procedures as the full A apart from the bike. Which can be as little as 7bhp difference in some cases.

There has been discussion of upgrading with X hours amount of training in 2018/2019. But so far nothing has been changed.

I mean if I could have done I’d just go straight in for mod 1 and 2 by myself on my own bike as it meets the regulations. But I wouldn’t legally be able to ride it to the test centre in the first place.

Will be doing it as soon as possible next year though once winters over, finally get it out of the way.

Man of Honour
Maybe should have explained that clearer. No don’t have to redo the theory just mod1+2.

I just meant it was essentially the exact same tests/procedures as the full A apart from the bike. Which can be as little as 7bhp difference in some cases.

There has been discussion of upgrading with X hours amount of training in 2018/2019. But so far nothing has been changed.

I mean if I could have done I’d just go straight in for mod 1 and 2 by myself on my own bike as it meets the regulations. But I wouldn’t legally be able to ride it to the test centre in the first place.

Will be doing it as soon as possible next year though once winters over, finally get it out of the way.
So how are you riding it now :confused:

Soldato
Went out for a two hour lesson today only to get a phone call on the way there saying that is was called off due to flooding so i'm out for Four hours on Sunday and mod 1 on Monday.

Soldato
Passed mod 1 today although the other guy i was with failed his, he managed to wipeout doing a practice emergency stop before we even got to the testpad hurting his knee and wrist and then put his foot down during the slalom.

Going to be going for lessons every Sunday until i pass from now.

Soldato
Passed mod 1 today although the other guy i was with failed his, he managed to wipeout doing a practice emergency stop before we even got to the testpad hurting his knee and wrist and then put his foot down during the slalom.

Going to be going for lessons every Sunday until i pass from now.
Congratulations. :) Best of luck for MOD2.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Foot down on the slalom?! Wipe out on the emergency stop? :eek:

The foot down at that stage will be a real dampener given it's the first proper part of the test. Also, it's not technically called an emergency stop... you're meant to come to a controlled stop but it sounds like he grabbed a fist full of front brake trying to stop too quickly. 4 of us from the riding school headed to the test centre on the weekend before my test and one guy kept sliding the back wheel on the "emergency stop" because he kept slamming on the back brake. Some people just panic in a test scenario.

IMO, as someone with zero bike experience when I did the DAS I found the difficult part of the MOD 1 was the U-turn purely because it feels like you're going to run out of room until the final 20% of the turn where it suddenly comes good. That feeling of "oh noes, there's the line... mustn't cross the line..." was horrible. Part of that was the instructor saying "you can make a mistake on x, y or z but if you put a foot down in the u-turn it's an instant fail" which sort of added the unnecessary pressure.

MOD 2 is a breeze if you have driven a car for any length of time as you really only need to make sure you're checking shoulders when moving off and cancelling the indicators. Good luck!

Soldato
It was too much rear brake that made the bike slide out from under him, on my hazard avoidance i was so busy concentrating on hitting 32mph that i went straight ahead after the speedtrap but the guy let me do it again.

Not had any car driving experience before so i'll take longer than most of the others as almost all of them are car drivers.

Soldato
It was too much rear brake that made the bike slide out from under him, on my hazard avoidance i was so busy concentrating on hitting 32mph that i went straight ahead after the speedtrap but the guy let me do it again.

Not had any car driving experience before so i'll take longer than most of the others as almost all of them are car drivers.

Best of luck with the mod 2 :). Mod 2 for me was most difficult due to no car experience as well. But did soon get used to it with plenty of lessons.

However what will and did help is just ask your instructor to take you on every route that the examiner may take and even run you through a few mock tests on the road.

Soldato
All the routes we have been taking since i started have been parts of the test routes, i've got a four hour lesson on Sunday then i'll have maybe another couple and hope to get a mod 2 date when the test centre opens back up in January.

Soldato
I found mod 1 the hardest when I did it.

On the controlled stop thing I was so concerned about not going through the speed trap fast enough I think I went through it like 10mph faster than I needed to, which in turn made the stopping distance much further than it should have been. I didn't do a particularly good at stopping quickly either.

The guy made this kinda gesture and I thought to myself I had ****** it. But he passed me so guess I was lucky.

Mod 1 is hard because of the pressure, do this 1 thing wrong, fail etc.

Mod 2 was **** easy I only got 2 minors, but I had been driving a car for years before.

Back
Top Bottom