*** How to obtain a bike license ***

Soldato
I know the guy before me did 3 x 2 hour sessions on the 125 before he went on the bigger bike.

I've got a week off starting on Oct 7th do maybe i can get mod1 and 2 done by then.

Soldato
Two or three sessions are what most people have before moving on to the bigger bikes they said, just trying to iron out any bad habits first.
That's not true, no training school around here takes you out on a 125 if you are preparing for your training.

I think you are wasting money paying for lessons on a 125.

Commissario
Well I completed the CBT yesterday, and yes I had to pay an extra £50 - I queried this and it's fairly standard practice apparently if it's not completed on the first day. I'm a tad annoyed in some respects, however I did get a couple of hours one to one with the instructor out on the roads which was good because I had forgotten a lot of the low speed control and it's something I need to continue to work on.
He reckons I shouldn't need much lesson time for mod1, just focus on being consistent with the low speed control and everything should be fine. Booked the theory test and started working through the questions on the app :)

Soldato
Well I completed the CBT yesterday, and yes I had to pay an extra £50 - I queried this and it's fairly standard practice apparently if it's not completed on the first day. I'm a tad annoyed in some respects, however I did get a couple of hours one to one with the instructor out on the roads which was good because I had forgotten a lot of the low speed control and it's something I need to continue to work on.
He reckons I shouldn't need much lesson time for mod1, just focus on being consistent with the low speed control and everything should be fine. Booked the theory test and started working through the questions on the app :)
If it was something you couldn't avoid and you had to cut the CBT short for reasons personal to you then i'd say £50 is fair but to send you home and then make you pay 50% of the fee again i'd have been very annoyed but it's done now so best of luck with your theory. :)

Commissario
If it was something you couldn't avoid and you had to cut the CBT short for reasons personal to you then i'd say £50 is fair but to send you home and then make you pay 50% of the fee again i'd have been very annoyed but it's done now so best of luck with your theory. :)
Tbh I would say it was the other person doing the course slowing us down, he fell over a few times and had no experience with clutch/gears so took a while to get the hang of it. I reckon if I was doing the course with someone using an auto or doing the course on my own then I would've completed it in one day. Maybe I should contact him and invoice him for £50?!

Soldato
Pretty sure 2 that weren't ready for the roads on mine were told they could come back for free...?

You paying £50 when it wasn't really you who slowed the training day up...? Bit out of order. Unless I have got this all wrong.

Soldato
Wouldn't be paying the £50 if it wasn't my fault.

This, if the place you did the CBT is approved by any official body i'd be going to then and asking if this is standard practice or not.

Not sure if I said but when I did mine the other person booked didn't turn up so I had a 1 to 1 CBT all day, and no mention of cancelling anything was mentioned.

Soldato
That's not true, no training school around here takes you out on a 125 if you are preparing for your training.

I think you are wasting money paying for lessons on a 125.

Agreed when i did my cbt next time i came for the full test nearly 2 years later went straight onto the bigger bike and was assessed on that. To be honest much easier to ride than a 125 anyway.

Soldato
I've heard about that "come back for more training and pay for it" from a few companies round here in the reviews. It seems very prevalent if you're on a manual bike as opposed to a scooter as they can easily say "you're not there yet with control"... particularly prevalent with the cheaper places too. One place is only £70-80, but then add the second day and it's more than most.

Soldato
The impression I got from where I did my CBT is there's a lot of rouge places out there which tack on extra fees and have a habit of not passing you just to get you to come back and pay more :(

I was thinking about a Kawasaki Vulcan S, as they're cheap, nippy and Kawa were doing 0% finance on them, but i'm still torn as to whether I buy something cheap and **** first

Soldato
I’m really keen on a KTM duke of ninja for my first bike :)

Hopefully when I get licence sorted I’ll be able to get some test rides in.

For test rides do you have to book them?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Spending extra time learning on a 125 is essentially pointless, if you want to ride bigger bikes.

Riding a 600+ is so much easier than a 125 because you aren't screwing the engine to get going, the slow speed control (clutch) is more forgiving and the weight of the bike is so different. If it were me, I'd get focusing on avoiding the 125 at all costs and jumping straight on a bigger bike.

Man of Honour
I’m really keen on a KTM duke of ninja for my first bike :)

Hopefully when I get licence sorted I’ll be able to get some test rides in.

For test rides do you have to book them?
It's best to give them a heads up and also means you'll find out if they'll actually let you test ride anything.

It's much more difficult to test ride bikes when you're fresh from your test unlike cars.

Soldato
Out for 4 hours tomorrow on the 650cc bikes then should be my mod 1 and mod 2 as soon as possible, new bike is waiting to be ridden so can't come quick enough.

Soldato
I must have done 20 things on my first four hours on the bigger bike that would have caused me to fail my test, really silly things that i don't normally do.

The last two hours on the 125 i didn't do anything wrong at all so i'm guessing it was just being new to the bigger bike and not being as comfortable on it, i've got another four hours this Friday and looking forward to it to prove to myself that i do actually know what i'm doing.

If i've not got my license by Christmas i'm going to be pretty disappointed.

Last edited:
Soldato
Done another eight hours and had a try on the mod 1 test pad, next date available is 26th November and i'm not sure i can get it off, next date after that is December 3rd and i doubt i can get that off either, might have to use a sick day.

Back
Top Bottom