• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How to over volt a Titan, a 780Ti or a 780 guide

Associate
I'm currently running 1241MHz on the core drawing 1150mV and 3750MHz on the memory, so we're both in the same ballpark.

I'll test with the +50mV turned down to 0 tomorrow, hopefully it will remain stable.

Just played a 2 hour session of BF4. All seems fine so far :)

*EDIT*

I also have my power limit on 106%, this is OK right?

Last edited:
Soldato
In the AB monitoring window what is your max Power% figure after a run of benchmarking / gaming? Since I changed my BIOS it's gone down to ~88% I'm not sure if that's due to the changes I copied across from the SkyNet BIOS or because of changes I made to my voltage table either way my card has more power available to it than it needs so for me there is no point increasing the power limit. Just out of interest what does your power limit slider go to, if the new BIOS took properly it should be 200%.

Because it's something you've mentioned often I modified my voltage table so that I forced 1212mV on the card rather than the 1150 it usually uses whilst running at 1241MHz. Forcing the extra voltage through allowed me to go up one notch from my max stable overclock of 1267 to 1280 but at the expense of a temp increase of about 8c (I get slight tearing at these speeds so always run a couple of notches down) so I put it back again. I honestly think the card is just good at managing it's own power and if it's not using the additional power you are trying to give it, it's because it doesn't need it.

Associate
Hi, so running Unigine Heaven 4.0 (This is still the best stress test?) I also reduced the +50mV on the slider in afterburner back to 0mV.

Max power = 87%
Maximum power limit is indeed 200% but I have it on 106% (what power limit is yours on may I ask?)

I think I am getting this, at my current clock speeds my card doesn't need more than the 1.175mV available as it runs at 87% power, hence me never seeing anymore than that even when setting +50mV.

My card seems to get a few artifacts at above 1228MHz on the card with 1.175mV but also with the +50mV.

What I have trouble understanding is, if my card needs more power than the 1.175mV to run above 1228MHz on the core without artifacting how come the power doesn't seem to increase? Or is 1228MHz likely the limit my card can hit without artifacting regardless of power going through it?

Last edited:
Soldato
Heaven is what I use for benching / stress testing.

I've left the power slider at 100% as card is only using about 87% there is no point in increasing it, in fact you could reduce it to 90% if you wanted as you would still have access to the 87% you need though I'm not sure what if any benefit this would have, possibly slightly lower temps?

I'm more than happy to mod your BIOS so your card runs more volts than default as I did with mine but I would suggest that like me you will find that you might get 13 - 26 more MHz at the expense of a large rise in temps which to me just wasn't worth it so I went back to letting the BIOS manage the power.

I do have a very good aftermarket cooler on my GPU as well as heatsinks on my VRAM & VRMs which may explain why I can overclock my GPU a little more than you.

Associate
I have reduced the slider back to 100% on power slider, ran Heaven and it passed fine.

Temps of 60c and 87% maximum power.

I guess I am happy enough there, I hoped to get to 1250MHz-1275Mhz on the core when I started this process, as it was hitting 1202MHz withouth any changes I thought his would be possible. I guess 1228/3802 as an overclock on core and memory is pretty good anyway!

I won't bother making anymore changes to the BIOS, I really appreciate the offer but I will take your advice. As I have said you have been great, very patient and reassuring I am doing the right thing and have helped far more than a lot of people would. I am in your debt!

My only experience of overclocking a card was about 2 years ago and it was on a Gigabyte Windforce 7970 :D

Last edited:
Soldato
After having tried both inline PWM fan speed reducers and 1200 RPM fans it appears that the drivers enforce a minimum idle fan speed based on RPM. Fitting the speed reducers to the 1800rpm fans made no change to the idle speed of 1100rpm and the even the 1200rpm fans spun at 1100rpm with 26% Fan Speed reported in AB.

So I'm back with the GHZ edition BIOS which has a 750rpm minimum. I've managed to cure the original stability issues that I was having with non standard BIOSs through modifying the Power, Voltage and Boost tables in the Kepler BIOS Editor which has been a bit of a learning curve. I've now got a BIOS that means I don't need to use AB for overclocking, but I'm still not happy with the default fan curve which is too aggressive for the uprated cooling solution I've got so I still need to use AB to enforce a custom curve .

Just an update to this in case it proves useful to anyone - I discovered "Svet's Fermi/Kepler VBIOS/EC Tuner - [ver: 2.96p]" it is payware (15 Euro / £11.30) but in addition to everything else it gives access to the fan settings that the Kepler BIOS Editor doesn't. So using this tool I've finally been able to achieve what I've wanted all along;
  • Set the correct min / max speeds for the 1800rpm 140mm PWM fans fitted so the reported %Fan / RPM ratio is correct.
  • Set a lower default fan speed (650rpm) at both power on and at Windows driver level.
  • Modify the fan curve so the card correctly manages the new fans rather than having to rely on 3rd party tools for a custom fan curve.

The tool is more intuitive than the basic Kepler BIOS editor as it guides you through the process and gives limited information as to what each setting does. Support is really good, the author PM'd me with responses to my queries very quickly.

Associate
Hi!

Im trying to "overvolt" my Gtx 780 but im having some issues

When I get to this step

"Press and hold shift and right mouse click the nvflash folder and select 'open command window here'"

i dont get the option "open command window here" but instead just Open and I do get the Command Window but as soon as I try to type anything it start to write things ... anything I try to hit ... Basically I cant write anything ... help?

Picture
http://i.imgur.com/qaTwNqO.png

Soldato
You are right clicking over NVFlash.exe and opening up the program which is not what you want to be doing. Hold down shift and right click somewhere in the white space within the folder listing rather than over a particular file, you should then be able to proceed onto the next step.

Associate
You are right clicking over NVFlash.exe and opening up the program which is not what you want to be doing. Hold down shift and right click somewhere in the white space within the folder listing rather than over a particular file, you should then be able to proceed onto the next step.

Thanks

but next problem ...

-4 -5 -6 etc .... is not recognized as command

And which one of the "skynet" version should I use for Msi gtx 780? none of them fits

Last edited:
Soldato
Once you've opened up the command window you should be typing;

nvflash -4 -5 -6 skyn3t-3A-SC-rev3-941.rom

Though TBH I would just rename the bios to 780.rom as it would make things a bit simpler so;

nvflash -4 -5 -6 780.rom

Have you used GPU-z to back up your existing BIOS and check your current BIOS revision? If your board is a reference edition then any manufacturers reference BIOS will do as they will be the same card just different branding.

I would suggest reading through the first page of this thread to make sure you are using a correct BIOS for your card.

Associate
im getting this error , im using sky-vBios-PalitJS-rev4

error firmware image must have a * rom or a * nvr extension

anyone know what causes this ?

Associate
thread's a bit long... so apologies in advance if this has already been discussed.

I can't use that version of afterburner (3 beta 16) as its expired or something (being a beta), is there anyway around this as I can't get the AB voltmod to work on any other version.

Associate
Hi
No worries I've answered my own question.

Just need to set the voltage control to "MSI Extended"

Hi ikari1, can you tell me which version of afterburner you are using. It seems all the older versions of afterburner has now expired and the newer versions all return "invalid" with the cmd request.

Back
Top Bottom