• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How to over volt a Titan, a 780Ti or a 780 guide

Caporegime
OP
Thing is I already know what he card can do I just want to run the fans at less than 26% and the only way I can currently do this is through an alternate BIOS but then I lose the ability to overclock the GPU.

:o

It has been so long since this thread and I assumed you had a Titan for some reason.... Sorry about that and You should do what Mr P said for manual fan speed editing. It is very easy :)

Soldato
If you are happy with every aspect of your current bios except the fan control then try and edit it with kepler bios editor 1.27.
As per my previous post the problem being that I believe the Nvidia drivers override the BIOS settings based on the card that they detect. If they pick up that the card is a reference edition then the fan speed is set to 26% regardless of what the BIOS is set to. It's only when you flash to a non reference BIOS that the fan speeds reduce. Ideally it would be great if this feature could be disabled but I guess they put it in as some form of protection. I'm starting to think my only option is to fit some slower rated PWM fans.

/Edit: Confirmed - I edited the bios in 1.27 of the Kepler Editor so that the minimum fan speed was 15% and flashed the card, fan speed remained at 26% after I restarted my PC. Interestingly the BIOS editor said that the minimum speed on the OEM BIOS is 30% so it seems like this is being ignored also.

Last edited:
Associate
Hey everyone,

I am having some issues overclocking my 780Ti, I can't get my volts above 1175mV, increasing the voltage (mV) in evga precision x or msi afterburner shows that it is increased (apparently) but when I run any stress or benching program I am only seeing 1175mV maximum.

Thread here for those interested

So looking at this guide do I need to flash the BIOS? I though 780TI's would allow you to go to 1212mV without having to change the BIOS or anything like that?

Soldato
A BIOS flash to one of the Skynet BIOSs would probably be a good start, they seem to open up more power delivery to the card so it has more to play with. I didn't have a lot of success with these but I needed a BIOS with low default fan speeds so was restricted to what I could use anyhow (see my posts above). So I've been using the Kepler BIOS Editor (1.27) to make my own custom BIOS with fairly good results but the lack of online help with this is frustrating so it's been trial, error and many reflashes to get to the point where I'm happy with the results.

Soldato
As per my previous post the problem being that I believe the Nvidia drivers I'm starting to think my only option is to fit some slower rated PWM fans.

After having tried both inline PWM fan speed reducers and 1200 RPM fans it appears that the drivers enforce a minimum idle fan speed based on RPM. Fitting the speed reducers to the 1800rpm fans made no change to the idle speed of 1100rpm and the even the 1200rpm fans spun at 1100rpm with 26% Fan Speed reported in AB.

So I'm back with the GHZ edition BIOS which has a 750rpm minimum. I've managed to cure the original stability issues that I was having with non standard BIOSs through modifying the Power, Voltage and Boost tables in the Kepler BIOS Editor which has been a bit of a learning curve. I've now got a BIOS that means I don't need to use AB for overclocking, but I'm still not happy with the default fan curve which is too aggressive for the uprated cooling solution I've got so I still need to use AB to enforce a custom curve .

Associate
Unsure what I am doing wrong here, obviously being a noob!

When holding shift and right clicking the nvflash folder, and pressing open command window here it opens in this manner...

3_zpsvjbqzxp1.png

Can somebody please run me through the commands from this point on, I have also shown the BIOS filename in this screenshot...

Soldato
I'd start by renaming the new BIOS file something a bit easier to type such as Inno3d.rom
First command in your dos box will be "nvflash --protectoff" (don't include the quote marks) this will disable the write protect on the bios
Second command will be "nvflash -4 -5 -6 Inno3d.rom" (again don't include quote marks) this assumes you've renamed the bios file as suggested, the switches (-4 -5 -6) force the process to continue regardless of manufacturer / card etc.
You may get a message saying something about you are attempting to flash the BIOS with one from a different card, just press "Y" to confirm.
Press "Y" to confirm start of flash procedure and enjoy about 6 seconds of adrenaline whilst you struggle with the feelings you may be ruining your card followed by 2 seconds of elation when you get the success message.
Reboot your PC for the new BIOS to come into effect.

EDIT: WHATEVER YOU DO MAKE SURE YOU FIRST BACKUP YOUR WORKING BIOS !!!! Use GPU-Z which has a quick and easy backup button.

Last edited:
Associate
OK, I have done that, I have also renamed to file to what you suggested. It seems to turn protect off as I get a beep and then in the cmd box I enter nvflash -4 -5 -6 Inno3d.rom and get a pop up...

6_zpsgaknqqed.png

I don't see anything about flashing the card or being able to confirm by pressing y etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
"Modified Version by Joe Dirt" - This isn't anything I know about if you're using a modified version of the NVFlash software you'll need to get support from wherever you got this from.

Edit: I've zipped up the version of NVFlash I've used for you - Click Here

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for that buddy, so running the nvflash you sent I am getting the same issue, on entering the "nvflash -4 -5 -6 Inno3d.rom" command I still get the pop up and nothing obvious about flashing the card...

1_zpsz0vlnlvi.png

I am so sorry about this, I really do not know why I am having such an issue :(

Soldato
Well you only need to run the protectoff command the once and if you've been beeped at then this would suggest it's been completed so I wouldn't bother about running this again.

Try running the commands in an elevated command prompt.

Click start
type cmd in the search box
right click on cmd.exe that appears in the top of the list and chose "Run as Administrator" you should see the title bar of the cmd window shows "Administrator...."
type cd \ in the command window to take you back to c:\
type cd users\slayer\desktop\nvflash to take you to your working directory
type nvflash -4 -5 -6 inno3d.rom

Soldato
You're still not using the same version of NVFlash that I am so I can't help you as the commands / process may be different.

nvflash.jpg

You're using v5.206 simplified OEM, I'm using v5.134

Also it's not a good idea to run programs from a folder on your desktop.

Unzip the folder I sent you to your c:\ so you have a folder c:\NVFlash and copy your Inno3d file into this and run the commands I gave you from there.

Last edited:
Associate
I did unzip the file you sent (twice) but for some reason it was still loading the other version, however I have it running now!

This is how it looks before going any further...

7_zpswuljfy3q.png

Now correct me if I am wrong but that BIOS matches the one already on the card? I did pick this card up 2nd hand from the members market so is it already flashed with skyn3t's firmware?

Soldato
No, you are flashing a BIOS with the same stamp (ID) but the contents are not necessarily the same. You could use Kepler BIOS Editor to check the settings of your current (saved) BIOS against your downloaded Skynet one, but I would just go ahead and flash your BIOS as chances are it's not the same.

Uploaded Kepler Bios Tweaker for you - Click here

Last edited:
Soldato
Restart your PC and when you've booted back up check in AfterBurner / PrecisionX that you have more adjustments available to you, then go wild.

Edit: In Windows 7 the CMD window stays open and I have a confirmation message saying that the process completed, but this may be different if you are running a later version of Windows. I've not had to disable my VGA adapter at all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom