• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How to overclock a 7850 past 1050MHz?

Associate
Okay, sussed the bios flash thingy and my Accelero TTII cooled Powercolor 7850 is now unlocked to 1.3v.

You need the following:-
*ASUS DCII TOP BIOS
*Latest ATIFLASH 3.95
*DOS bootable USB stick (research this yourself).

Instructions - DO AT OWN RISK!
1). Copy the ASUS BIOS and ATIFLASH onto your bootable USB stick and rename the ASUS BIOS file to "ASUS7850.ROM"
2). Change you PC BIOS so that it boots from USB stick.
3). Boot to USB Stick
4). At DOS prompt backup your existing BIOS with command "atiflash -s 0 BACKUP.ROM"
5). Flash to ASUS BIOS with command "atiflash -p -f 0 ASUS7850.ROM"
6). Wait 20 seconds or so until you are told that BIOS flash is complete.
7). Restart
8). You will need to reinstall you AMD drivers because your PC sees the new BIOS as a new card.

I have just passed Heaven at 1350MHz core / 1500MHz mem @ 1.275v. Trying for more.....

Can i use this guide for Sapphire Non OC version? Is this compatible, i am wondering because my card is not reference...
I think i am with worst OC... Max 1120/5600 stable@1,185, max temps is 64

Soldato
OP
What are the temps like on the HIS cards? So long as they stay below 80deg, it doesn't really matter how many heatpipes the thing has.

Associate
9a9y4o.jpg

i think this as far as i'll go with my case cooling (corsair 550d with stock fans)
not sure if its 100% stable yet. 1150 needs more volts and bumping them up by another 0.025 causes my max temps to hit 75c. i'd rather stay below 70. the fan is loud enough at 50%.

Permabanned
I've flashed the Asus Bios onto my card. Memory correction still kicks even if I lower the Mem Clock so it offers me no increased performance benefits. The card does operate with lower voltages with the same clock speeds I had before hence lower temps so that's a bonus.

I'm still getting 58.6 FPS in Heaven with my day to day clocks and games such as BF3 are stable.

Associate
Little update, had the Vtx 7850 hitting 80c with a mild overclock (1100/5000) decided to upgrade the cooler to a Gelid icyvision 2 making it a couple of quid more expensive than an OC edition, results speak for themselves!

Ive had it stable at 1250/6000 but decided to rein it back to 1200/5800 for normal day to day usage, cooler is quiet as a whisper which is nice as the stock reference was a jet engine over 60%!!!!

and heres the obligatory heaven etc etc and temps under load with occt

loade.jpg

Permabanned
What are the temps like on the HIS cards? So long as they stay below 80deg, it doesn't really matter how many heatpipes the thing has.

I left a message on the customer services part of the forum and told them not to worry about it. 4 heatpipes would have provided much better cooling but I'm getting a decent overclock and the temps aren't bad. I've just asked them to update their product description so it doesn't cause any confusion for those who want the best cooling from non ref cards.

Associate
My cards default voltage is 1.050v.

edit: It was 1.050v but after flashing to ASUS BIOS it now shows as 1.075v. Different partners must tweak to different levels, so voltage may have nothing to do with silicon quality.

fdgfdhjjmdffgfhhfghgfh.jpg

Looks like the sapphires OCs are also 1.075v @stock

Last edited:
Associate
Think I'm going to send my HIS card back. I'm getting system freezes when starting up games occasionally. Both OC and stock clocks. Is the DSR 14 days from when you receive it or when you placed the order? As mine was on pre-order for over a week.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Think I'm going to send my HIS card back. I'm getting system freezes when starting up games occasionally. Both OC and stock clocks. Is the DSR 14 days from when you receive it or when you placed the order? As mine was on pre-order for over a week.

14 days starting from the day after you received the card.

Back
Top Bottom