• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How to overclock a 7850 past 1050MHz?

Associate
kombuster is unnecessary, it works the card too much for my liking. Running a few benches in heaven and playing a game is all I would do. The Heaven score will give an indication on how many fps increase you get over stock.
Very true, Kombuster is the equivalent to Prime95 for CPU's. I like them because they give a worse case scenario load on your chips which guarantees you that they will be stable through anything else if they past that load. ;)

Associate
You said no more than 1128mV for stock air cooler? Thing is, my stock volts are 1138mV, and temps at stock 860/1210 are 65 max.

I'm pretty sure earlier in this thread you have an ASUS 7850 as well, correct me if I'm wrong, but you got 65oC max load temperature at 1150 core? See I got 75oC max load temperature at 1150 core. I'm trolling all the forums hoping that its my case airflow that's causing the massively high temperatures, because I only have 1 intake fan at the top and the DCII's fans are pointing downwards.

No, you missread my post.. ;)
My stock voltage is 1138mV, and my OC voltage is 1220mV..

"and having it at 1200/1400 put the voltage up to 1220mV"

And yes, I do have the same card as you, an Asus 7850 DC2.. And my 65º max temps are at full load AND OCed.. Not at stock..
My guess, you have a poor case airflow and high ambient temps.. :rolleyes:
Maybe a mistake, but you have only one intake fan "at the top"????..
Heat rises, so having it as an intake it's probably a fail..
Maybe it's time to do a fan readjust in your case.. Theoretically, you should have fans getting fresh air at front and side, and having pull hot air out at top and back... Maybe there's your issue..

This card runs very cool compared to stock ones.. Your temps aren't bad at all, just maybe could run cooler..

Best regards.. ;)

Associate
No, you missread my post.. ;)
My stock voltage is 1138mV, and my OC voltage is 1220mV..

"and having it at 1200/1400 put the voltage up to 1220mV"

And yes, I do have the same card as you, an Asus 7850 DC2.. And my 65º max temps are at full load AND OCed.. Not at stock..
My guess, you have a poor case airflow and high ambient temps.. :rolleyes:
Maybe a mistake, but you have only one intake fan "at the top"????..
Heat rises, so having it as an intake it's probably a fail..
Maybe it's time to do a fan readjust in your case.. Theoretically, you should have fans getting fresh air at front and side, and having pull hot air out at top and back... Maybe there's your issue..

This card runs very cool compared to stock ones.. Your temps aren't bad at all, just maybe could run cooler..

Best regards.. ;)

Thanks, that actually puts my mind at ease, but 95C at 1200/4840/1170 is average? That sounds a little high, I've read on other forums (forgot specifics) overclock, anandtech that people who have the ASUS DCII 7850 get 1200-1250/6000/1250mV at a max of 65-70oC.

I really hope its my case airflow... if it is I will be the happiest guy on earth, (until I hit 4.5ghz on my 3570k)

Associate
.., but 95C at 1200/4840/1170 is average? That sounds a little high, ...

Indeed it is high..
Even when this new chip generation could run as hot as 100ºC (being safe temp up to 105º, if I remember correctly), you shouldn't have reached those temps, unless something is wrong with your airflow/ambient temps..
Despite I used to have a 6870 stock running as high as 102ºC any given day (full load at games/benchmarks) and never had an issue (good XFX manufacture :p), it's not a good idea to do it.. Chip can be damage.. Mine didn't, but maybe was luck..
My advice: do not run your card that hot.. Keep it under 80ºC until you can get better case airflow/lower ambient temps.. ;)

Best regards.. :)

Associate
sdc10816t.jpg

sdc10820y.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
I've had a Sapphire 7850 delivered today and going to be installing it later on today (at work at the mo :(). I'm quite new to overclocking and have read a fair bit of this thread which actually made up my mind on going with the 7850, but started to run into what to me is a load of waffle :p.

Would anyone be able to guide me as to which programs I need to use to get a decent overclock? And how should I approach it? Should I keep stock volts and up the core by 10 each time until it crashes and then start upping the volts? and what are the max voltage and temps I should go up to?

Associate
I've had a Sapphire 7850 delivered today and going to be installing it later on today (at work at the mo :(). I'm quite new to overclocking and have read a fair bit of this thread which actually made up my mind on going with the 7850, but started to run into what to me is a load of waffle :p.

Would anyone be able to guide me as to which programs I need to use to get a decent overclock? And how should I approach it? Should I keep stock volts and up the core by 10 each time until it crashes and then start upping the volts? and what are the max voltage and temps I should go up to?

You need to get ASUS GPU Tweak as the others don't let you control the voltage.

What I did first of all was just stuck mine up to 1200MHz straight away and 1.195v and ran Heaven to see if it could handle it, and I tweaked around from there.

Ended up sticking with the 1200MHz clock and got it down to 1.175v on my MSI TF3.

Associate
Is there anyway to stop Trixx resetting the overclock on supposed system shutdown failure? I know it is for safety reasons but it get annoying, especially as my computer takes a very long time to shut down, if it does at all, forcing me to force a shutdown which resets the overclock as well.

It's incredibly annoying sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom