How would pay per mile car tax work?

i'm with the fuel crowd.

it's the fairest way to ensure that not only are people paying in accordance to the miles they do, but also the car they choose to drive.

for example the new model v8 mustang that sits in the owners garage save for a couple of trips in summer is not an emissions problem, but the 2ltdi golf driven by the salesman doing 100k a year is very much a problem.

i remember clarkson of all people arguing about doing it to f1, scrap a lot of the various engine regs and simply put a heavy fuel limit on the cars, if the tech means cars start getting too fast to be safe then slash the fuel limit again.

You don't seem to be understanding the issue. People aren't buying fuel going forward with growing EV use. Fuel is already massively taxed.

Private cars will largely be replaced by automated vehicles in a decade or two anyway, so is this really a problem?

They haven't even figured how to to stop the AI running down cyclists or drive properly in bad weather yet, so unlikely :p

Plus if it's like other public transport, it will be so expensive it isn't viable.

Getting people to buy electric cars?

Regardless on your stance on ev's, it cant be denied that the general public/government actions seems to be geared towards encouraging their adoption

Fuel isn't taxed to push people into EVs specifically, it's been taxed highly for decades. It's a convenient tax source. The 'pay per mile' tax schemes that have been in the media lately are aimed at finding a new source of taxation revenue when the tax applied to fuel starts to run thin due to higher EV adoption.

So 'put it on the fuel' rather misses the point, if you assume that fuel only refers to petrol/diesel type fuels.

If you consider electricity to be a fuel, then the obvious answer is to find a way to measure how much electricity you're putting into your EV and tax that, in effect still taxing the fuel.

The government answer should surely be to just start taxing electricity too, plus you encourage people to be more economical with their household electronics too.

Nobody is going to just roll over and accept that though. Even fuel sold for off road use i.e. red diesel isn't subject to fuel duty.

Nobody is going to just roll over and accept that though. Even fuel sold for off road use i.e. red diesel isn't subject to fuel duty.

Im not saying i like, agree or support that idea.

But lets face it if they think they can get away with it they will.

Call it a grid tax or something to support building all the power stations they're gonna need

People roll over and take anything in this country. They just complain about it, but do nothing :/

In France people actually take action when the government tries to shaft them.

I can see there just being a 1500-2000 levy on every car as then it's roughly fair. (Work out how much fuel you use a year if you think it's expensive), I'm thinking of EVs here though, not sure how you could tax leccy and it not penalise people with no EV.

yellow jackets was because poorer people in the countryside complained about diesel hikes.

rather ...
Drivers would be allocated at least 3,000 free Road Miles giving free access to roads. Fuel duty will be reduced and VED revised to further encourage greener vehicles. After 3,000 miles, car drivers would be charged modest mileage rates of less than 1p per mile in the first year.
Car and van drivers in rural areas will not lose out. The 18% who live in rural areas drive one third more and receive one third more free
Our case studies demonstrate that free mileage helps promote social inclusion by potentially enhancing the mobility of the disabled, youth, unemployed and elderly. These groups drive less than 3,000 miles per year hence would not pay mileage costs.

GPS chips implanted in your eye balls.

build a faraday a cage around your car

You don't seem to be understanding the issue. People aren't buying fuel going forward with growing EV use. Fuel is already massively taxed.

electricity or hydrogen is still a fuel that can be taxed on a forecourt or anywhere else.

no idea how it would work at home though you'd have to have any car charger on a separate circuit paying more for electric ? people would just find another way to charge at a slower rate like trickle charge from a normal plug socket or whatever to get around it though

GPS chips implanted in your eye balls.

build a faraday a cage around your car

electricity or hydrogen is still a fuel that can be taxed on a forecourt or anywhere else.

no idea how it would work at home though you'd have to have any car charger on a separate circuit paying more for electric ? people would just find another way to charge at a slower rate like trickle charge from a normal plug socket or whatever to get around it though

The car chargers (even the 13A granny chargers) know exactly how much power they have sent to the car. If you want the government grant (was £500 to install a charger, now £350) you have to install one with a network connection that can work with your energy supplier. Some of them even know what the p/kW your electricity supplier is at any given time and schedule your charge accordingly. My Pod-Point app tells me what my charge cost me, even if I charge at home so they could easily tax my car charging electricity differently if they wanted to.

And that’s before you factor in the ‘spy in the cab’ feature in most electric cars where they can tell you how far you went, average speed, max speed etc. And again, most electric cars have 3G or 4G network connections back to manufacturer, even if they only currently use it for weather and traffic updates.

They were talking about taxing people who had the benefit of working from home so they need to charge for miles you don't drive as well!

Back
Top Bottom