How would pay per mile car tax work?

My advice is to stop getting 'news' from the express.

Some explanation is needed here. As far as I am aware, only 2 countries in the world operate a pay by mile scheme. Iceland and New Zealand.

Your joking right? The more miles you do, the more more an EV makes sense (to a point) not the other way round.

your quite right, but battery power is good for stop start scenarios , i.e. around town

your quite right, but battery power is good for stop start scenarios , i.e. around town
It's also good for commutes of up to 130 miles each way a day without needing to charge in the right car.

260 miles a day, even just 3 days a week is over 35k miles a year.

I used to do a 100 mile daily commute, I was hitting well over 25k and in an EV it would have meant never stopping for fuel, ever. I was fuelling up every 4 days in my ICE car. Almost any EV could do this commute, the exceptions are Gen 1 Leaf, Zoe etc.

Last edited:
My advice is to stop getting 'news' from the express.

Some explanation is needed here. As far as I am aware, only 2 countries in the world operate a pay by mile scheme. Iceland and New Zealand.

Your joking right? The more miles you do, the more more an EV makes sense (to a point) not the other way round.

In terms of a pay by mile scheme, I wouldn't think ICE cars will get off free either, they will need to maintain the gap in terms of taxation to maintain the incentive to get them off the roads. Either way its an incredibly expensive way of collecting a fuel duty replacement. Think about it, 10's of companies pay fuel duty over to the government, there are 30 million cars on the roads set to pay a few hundred each.

I think practically every European counties have tolled system for airports etc where a fee is charged against their cards or registrations.

It’s not hard to automate or get done.

I think practically every European counties have tolled system for airports etc where a fee is charged against their cards or registrations.

It’s not hard to automate or get done.

A toll road is not a 'pay by mile' system and isn't what is being proposed.

A pay by mile system is a fixed charge for every mile you drive on any road and is what is being pushed by certain groups for unknown reasons.

Last edited:
A toll road is not a 'pay by mile' system and isn't what is being proposed.

A pay by mile system is a fixed charge for every mile you drive on any road and is what is being pushed by certain groups for unknown reasons.
Toll is literally the same definition. You being charged for the miles of road you drive on.

Toll booth on motorways charging fixed cost at certain miles etc.

Toll is literally the same definition. You being charged for the miles of road you drive on.

Toll booth on motorways charging fixed cost at certain miles etc.
Thanks for explaining what a toll road is.

That doesn’t mean that’s what is being proposed, it’s literally not the same thing at all.

Last time I checked no one had a toll booth at the end of their estate.

Surely the obvious solution without a blackbox would just be to look at the miles on the MOT? Granted it wouldn't work for the first 3 years, but surely it's a cheap way to do it as the information is already out there, if they ever did go down this route which I think would be far better as long as it's based around whatever the average is these days.

The obvious issue is that it is so easy to clock a car these days and basing a tax off that data would create an even bigger incentive to do it.

Last edited:
Surely the obvious solution without a blackbox would just be to look at the miles on the MOT? Granted it wouldn't work for the first 3 years, but surely it's a cheap way to do it as the information is already out there, if they ever did go down this route which I think would be far better as long as it's based around whatever the average is these days.
Do you realise how easy it is to alter milage even on some newer cars. I can do it on mine in 10 minutes.

One problem with that - if it was leveraged yearly someone might do a lot of miles then fall on hard times and have a massive tax bill they can't pay (granted it isn't an exclusive situation). Sure there are approaches for pre-payment i.e. blocks of 1000 miles, etc. but that would be a pretty clunky system.

I find it funny there is a lot of talk around it of reducing unnecessary journeys, etc. but we've increasingly made it so people rely on the car more and then try to penalise them for it i.e. gutted the high street so shops are more often out of town, house prices have forced people further away from where they work, their kids go to school, etc., we hate working from home, public transport slashed, and so on.

Whatever method they use people will cheat, why wouldn't they. The chances of being caught are pretty much zero. A tracking device can be just disabled or tampered with, going by MOT milage will lead to an epidemic of clocking.

Which is why it's a bad idea and just won't work.

Last edited:
I thought modern cars where far more difficult to clock.
It’s harder in a sense that if you dig deep enough you *may* be able to identify if a car has been clocked because the milage is stored in a shed load of modules these days. It’s probably possible to find and change them all if you had the time/inclination and physical access.

However, an MOT tester isn’t going to be doing an in depth analysis of your cars electronic systems on your £35 MOT and changing the displayed milage on the dash is easy in most cars.

I thought modern cars where far more difficult to clock.
It's harder than it used to be. But still pretty easy, you just need software, laptop and cable. Changed mine on my display when the screen died, set it to the same as the other modules.
If you just wanted to fool the MOT it's a 2 minute job. Longer of you want to change it on the drivetrain and ECU as well.

Here's an example of motor manufacturers selling driver's data to data brokers, and eventually sold on to insurance companies. It's a very slippery slope... I don't want anything smart in my car, especially if our Government have a finger in the pie.

For instance, drivers' personal information including people's acceleration and braking readings as well as records of their whereabouts were sold to credit agency called Verisk, we're told, which compiled the info into so-called Driving Behavior Data History Reports that were then sold to car insurance giants.

Back
Top Bottom