How would pay per mile car tax work?

Here's an example of motor manufacturers selling driver's data to data brokers, and eventually sold on to insurance companies. It's a very slippery slope... I don't want anything smart in my car, especially if our Government have a finger in the pie.

That would be a GDPR nightmare in the UK, especially tracking location (which probably means you can't track the other stuff either). You can't share anything these days without written permission and the fines are company destroying.

Last edited:
It's harder than it used to be. But still pretty easy, you just need software, laptop and cable. Changed mine on my display when the screen died, set it to the same as the other modules.
If you just wanted to fool the MOT it's a 2 minute job. Longer of you want to change it on the drivetrain and ECU as well.
Fair enough, just assumed as it has been a thin many years ago (i.e. being clocked) then it would have been massively improved. Guess I overestimated car manufacturers :p .

Fair enough, just assumed as it has been a thin many years ago (i.e. being clocked) then it would have been massively improved. Guess I overestimated car manufacturers :p .
Legitimate reasons why it needs to be doable though, like me when you need to replace a part such as the clocks.

Legitimate reasons why it needs to be doable though, like me when you need to replace a part such as the clocks.
Is that really a think these days? I'd bet as a percentage of repairs it would be mega low. Why would they need replacing in the first place, I could see old need replacing if the needs dropped off or a segment on the display died (which might have just answered my question :p ).

Is that really a think these days? I'd bet as a percentage of repairs it would be mega low. Why would they need replacing in the first place, I could see old need replacing if the needs dropped off or a segment on the display died (which might have just answered my question :p ).
Mines an LCD screen and the backlight failed.

Considering how much more complicated the digital dashes are these days there must be a lot more to go wrong compared to the old needle or odd backlight lamp failing.

I know at least on bikes it seems to be a bit more common for the fancy TFT dashes to fail these days than the older analogue/LCD setups.

Last edited:

Problem with a lot of cars in the last ~20 years or so is they use a digital display for showing mileage. Whilst not a common fault, various components can fail which may lead to replacements requiring the mileage to be set again.

If pay per mile was only an EV thing, people will simply buy old diesels with little in the way of in car computers. So you end up using less fuel, albeit it'll be promoting and polluting Smokey fuel but hey your not paying per mile either

PPM also works less in rural areas where jobs are further apart and tend to pay less so rural areas, and if only main/M roads are covered it'll divert traffic onto smaller roads causing more chaos.

Problem with a lot of cars in the last ~20 years or so is they use a digital display for showing mileage. Whilst not a common fault, various components can fail which may lead to replacements requiring the mileage to be set again.
Kind of ironic that it could probably be locked so only the manufacturer could change it, but that would make it a pita to repair.

Kind of ironic that it could probably be locked so only the manufacturer could change it, but that would make it a pita to repair.
If the manufacturer can change it, it’s likely someone will be able to change it given enough time.

People are savvy enough to reverse engineer software these days, it’s just a matter of time if you have physical access to the car.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom