** HP Compaq Mini 311c-1010SA Intel Atom N270 ION 11.6" Netbook @ £314.99 inc VAT **

Associate
can someone tell me if there 311's were pritty dim and faded colours when they 1st got it? what do i need to do to correct this

Associate
wondering if anyone can help , i hv put 2gb into my netbook making it 3gb now

cpu says its running in duel channel but the dram freq seems to low and the clock speeds seem to high can anyone hv a look for me pls

laptopmemory.png
laptopmemoryspd.png

Last edited:
Associate
wondering if anyone can help , i hv put 2gb into my netbook making it 3gb now

cpu says its running in duel channel but the dram freq seems to low and the clock speeds seem to high can anyone hv a look for me pls

laptopmemory.png
laptopmemoryspd.png

Mine reads pretty much the same, you have 0.1 mhz on me.... :(

It overclocks OK though with the AS Rock tuner.

Associate
Mine reads pretty much the same, you have 0.1 mhz on me.... :(

It overclocks OK though with the AS Rock tuner.

i havent tryed the overclock tool yet , did u update the bios? im still on F.02

also can i ask hv u updated the ion drivers? as im unsure if i just install over the current ones like i would do on my pc nvidia drivers?

when i run bbc iplayer in hd it doesnt use the ion so im guessing its because of old drivers?

Soldato
Does anyone know a trick to make the built in microphone less sensitive on one of these? I'm using Audicity to record my band's rehearsals\jams and even with the Windows mixer mic input slider turned completely down it still distorts terribly. We've used (cheap) laptops in the past to do this and although not ideal, it didn't turn the recordings in to a weird, distorted mess.

Tried putting some blu-tac over the mic to mute the vibrations and the 'pop' effect?
You'd need to test to see the best thickness, whether fully covered etc, but it may help :)

Associate
i havent tryed the overclock tool yet , did u update the bios? im still on F.02

also can i ask hv u updated the ion drivers? as im unsure if i just install over the current ones like i would do on my pc nvidia drivers?

when i run bbc iplayer in hd it doesnt use the ion so im guessing its because of old drivers?

My 311 is the 1101SA and I am currently on the F15 Bios.

I'm running Win 7 on it, using the 260.99 Ion drivers on the Nvidia site. Win 7 found the rest of the chipset drivers itself.

The drivers on the HP site do seem a little out of date.

There is a load of driver info on the HP Mini forum, a google for myhpmini should find it.

Associate

Its more of an issue in the headers that BBC iplayer sends which cause flash to decide it cannot be handled by the GPU (think between beta and RC they changed this check + BBC changed their streams as well so while at 10.1 beta it appears it all worked by release it didn't).

SOmeone has hacked a flash dll to jump over this header check and that seems to enable iplayerHD to run ok (~30% CPU)

Associate
My 311 is the 1101SA and I am currently on the F15 Bios.

I'm running Win 7 on it, using the 260.99 Ion drivers on the Nvidia site. Win 7 found the rest of the chipset drivers itself.

The drivers on the HP site do seem a little out of date.

There is a load of driver info on the HP Mini forum, a google for myhpmini should find it.

Quick questions.

1) does F15 BIOS improve anything (think mine ... new last month ... is on F12!)

2) what about win7 vs XP - I've added an extra 2GB RAM and have a spare copy of win7 HP around ... is moving to win7 worthwhile? Also, I assume I'd be advised to do one of the BIOS hacks to convert the ION-LE into full ION before doing this?

Associate
I'm not sure about the usefulness of updating the bios. The updates just fix minor issues that people have had.

Windows 7 is a matter of personal choice, I gave it a whirl since I had a spare retail copy lying around. I followed the instructions on the myhpmini site to convert the machine to the full ION spec before installing, so I don't know if it is actually necessary to do it.

I think Win 7 is a little less snappy than XP but I am quite happy with it.

Associate
I'm not sure about the usefulness of updating the bios. The updates just fix minor issues that people have had.

Windows 7 is a matter of personal choice, I gave it a whirl since I had a spare retail copy lying around. I followed the instructions on the myhpmini site to convert the machine to the full ION spec before installing, so I don't know if it is actually necessary to do it.

I think Win 7 is a little less snappy than XP but I am quite happy with it.

Thanks for the info ... I too have spare retail W7 lying around but from what you say I'll probably stick to XP. Will probably keep the W7 in case anyone starts offloading the linuxe versions of the acer revo's at low prices again.

Associate
Quick tip for anyone with a 311c ... lots of reviews complain about the oversensitive touchpad which often incorrectly decides you're doing a "tap-to-click" when you are only moving your finger ... I hit this big time on a hotel booking site where hotels were displayed on a map - hovering over a hotel marker brought up info and prices etc but the 311c was continually deciding I was tapping rather than hovering which took me to booking pages I didn't want!
Anyway, after a quick bit of thought and research found that you can disable the "tap" functionality in the touchpad settings. This makes the touchpad so much more usable .. and if you need to click there's a button an inch away to press.

@it

@it

Associate
My very first post here on OCUK and upon reading and spending hours searching for a laptop / notebook as my faithful Fujitsu P7010 is getting a little long in the tooth and one of the hinges has snapped, I ending my clicks here now my dilema and head fully numb, I have read about the feature and possibilities of the Compaq Mini 311c (overclocking, ION Hacking and MAC OSX installation), is this still the laptop to have or are there others which can do all of the above and are at the forefront, budget wise is around £300.

Hopefully someone with more insight and information can fix my dilema.

PS - I have been offered a Acer Ferrari One 200 for £270

Many thanks again for any replies, info and honest opinions.

@it

Associate
I've put one for sale in the members market , if it doesnt sell, ill put it on ebay

Overclocked to 2GHZ , with 3GB ram and 512 Graphics unlocked. few months old. etc

Associate
Did have one, just sold it to a work mate, this forum has plenty of gen Myhpmini.

1. it runs windows 7 32 fine.
2. If it has not been done yet, changing for Ion LE to full fat ION is pretty easy, gen on Myhpmini forum :D.
3. I only managed a 1.8Ghz overclock, but hey 200Hz for free :D (The hacked bios allows you to change how much memory to use with ion, be careful possible to brick the hp, however recovery gen on Myhpmini on this too).
4. Takes an extra 2gb ddr3 soddim, as 1gb build into mobo.
5. The heat sink mod is dead easy, google where to get the bits :D.
6. Still going strong after getting it in 2009.
7. Also runs most linux 32bit fine also (Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Mint etc).

Regards.

C.

Last edited:
Soldato
Cheers for the reply. I've been a member on that forum for a few years as I originally planned to get a 311 mini when they launched but never got round to it. However the forum is all but dead now with posts going unanswered weeks later.

So far I've converted it from Ion LE to Ion and upgraded it to 3GB of ram. However while it plays 720p/1080p fine basic Windows (7 Home Premium) use seems slow and "clunky". Also I've installed Skype and when I try to make a call I get a warning saying the computer (NOT the connection) is too slow?!?

Back
Top Bottom