** HP Compaq Mini 311c-1010SA Intel Atom N270 ION 11.6" Netbook @ £314.99 inc VAT **

Associate
Hi Folks,

I am looking to buy the 311c however I want to upgrade the memory for it to 3gig and notice that the memory suggested in this thread is no longer available on OcUK. Could someone please let me know which memory I should be buying that is stocked by this site as I do not want to buy the memory elsewhere if possible.

Thanks

GraemePaul

Soldato
Hi Folks,

I am looking to buy the 311c however I want to upgrade the memory for it to 3gig and notice that the memory suggested in this thread is no longer available on OcUK. Could someone please let me know which memory I should be buying that is stocked by this site as I do not want to buy the memory elsewhere if possible.

Thanks

GraemePaul

OCUK do not stock any memory that will boot up with one of these

Managed to buy one last week, arrived Monday. Can't say where for obvious reasons but if you Google it there are plenty out there. :)

-

Spent the last couple of nights setting mine up, now running the hacked F15 BIOS and overclocked to 2.0ghz. ION LE unlocked to full ION, and running Windows 7 Professional very nicely. Impressed with the performance on 1GB, but the other 2GB arrived on my desk this morning so will be popping that in tonight.

Got 6.5 hours out of the battery last night, with a good amount of web browsing and video playback over HDMI. Machine handles HD video very well, impressed with that (720p MKV over HDMI).

Next mod will be a 3G card and a decent antenna, once I work up the courage to take a screwdriver to it!

It's the Kingston KVR1066D3S7/2G module, after reading through this thread it does decrease bandwidth apparently. I think it's to do with the netbook not being able to run in dual channel mode with 1GB+2GB. Find out tonight anyway, I'll post some benchies.

Associate
Managed to buy one last week, arrived Monday. Can't say where for obvious reasons but if you Google it there are plenty out there. :)

-

Spent the last couple of nights setting mine up, now running the hacked F15 BIOS and overclocked to 2.0ghz. ION LE unlocked to full ION, and running Windows 7 Professional very nicely. Impressed with the performance on 1GB, but the other 2GB arrived on my desk this morning so will be popping that in tonight.

Got 6.5 hours out of the battery last night, with a good amount of web browsing and video playback over HDMI. Machine handles HD video very well, impressed with that (720p MKV over HDMI).

Next mod will be a 3G card and a decent antenna, once I work up the courage to take a screwdriver to it!

I did the Antenna mod as your see on the HP forum, made a difference and my 311 is best bit of kit i ever owned.

Will never sell the thing as for the money its about the best piece of kit you can get.

Just got home, so running benchies before/after RAM install. So far:

-- Stock ram @ 2.0ghz--

Read: 4585MB/s
Write: 3533MB/s
Latency: 96.0ns

Appears my mini doesn't like my overclock and 3gb, it refused to boot at 2.0ghz. Bit of work needed methinks...! So at 1.6ghz with 3gb I get:

-- Kingston RAM installed @ 1.6ghz --
Read: 4033MB/s
Write: 2840MB/s
Latency: 95.6ns

So all in all, not a massive performance drop at all. Obviously need to get the CPU back up to 2.0ghz and then retest for a fair set of benchies but that looks inline with Khaaan!'s results from page 21(ish). Must have made some changes in the more recent BIOS releases, also noticed that it's still running dual channel... didn't think that would be possible with different sized banks?

Right off to overclock again. :)

Last edited:
I did the Antenna mod as your see on the HP forum, made a difference and my 311 is best bit of kit i ever owned.

Will never sell the thing as for the money its about the best piece of kit you can get.

How did you find the teardown to get to the back of the screen? Looks pretty terrifying from the pics, and the comments about splitting the bezel were pretty worrying!

Man of Honour
I've had my HP Mini 311 - 1020a for a week now and I've been trying to get my Sony Ericsson MW600 to work with it to stream music.
I can get the audio no problem but I was hoping to get the controls (Skip Forward, Back, Stop/Start) working so that I could play my music but they don't seem to despite them working fine with Windows XP on other laptops.

I was just wondering if it possible to have this working with the HP Mini 311?

Associate
How did you find the teardown to get to the back of the screen? Looks pretty terrifying from the pics, and the comments about splitting the bezel were pretty worrying!

The stripdown isn't bad at all.

I used my thumbnail to split the bezel, but anything slender will do the trick, just take care and take your time.

I am currently playing Silent Hunter 3 on mine, I got it off Steam as my original CD had Starforce or somesuch gubbins on it.

Has anybody tried all the Win 7 tweaks on the Mini 311 forum yet?

Good to know, that and a decent Linux/OSX friendly wifi card are definitely on the "to do" list. :) Tried Fedora 13 live on it last night, very quick even if it was booting off a USB stick. Just trying to get the broadcom-wl package working for the wifi drivers, and if it's a good 'un I may put it through it's paces with media playback.

Not tried the tweaks yet, in truth I probably won't as it's pacey enough with the CPU at 1.8ghz, 3GB ram and an SSD. Certainly laps up web browsing and HD playback with ease!

Associate
Its easy to strip, I can strip mine in mless than 10minutes now.

I did heatsink mod, Antenna mod. Running at 2.3ghz with 3gb ram :)

Other day i was in a hotel and i was too far from the lobby to get internet, i plugged on my 5dbi Antenna and got 2 bars. Only person out of 4 lads with netbooks who could get signal. :)

Soldato
I've got a power issue with mine. When I shut down Windows the screen goes black but the power is still on and I can hear the fans spinning, I have to hold the power button in order to power it down properly. What can I do to fix this?

Back
Top Bottom