HP DM1

Associate
Will also drop by the local retailer to see if they have it in the showroom; would like to see it in person because i have a few reservations about the colour to be honest...maybe it is better to wait for the black finish which is supposed to come out later this year...

Associate
So Scottland seeing as I can finally pick one of these up and installing 64bit is a necessity. How did you install 64windows ? External optical drive or usb with ISO on ? and was it all straight forward ?

Associate
Having seen it in person I can say that it looks quite nice; it does not have the imprint but at least it looks much darker than the photos in the retailers' websites (it is more black than grey)

Speaking of windows 64 installation; at least in my older hp 2133 using unetbootin I was able to create the necessary bootable usb stick (only thing is that it had to be formatted in NTFS otherwise it wouldn't boot)

Associate
just picked up one of these for the offer price of £349 which i am pleased seems like a nice little bargin if your after a small laptop... seems too run my HD 24" monitor quite nicely as well which is a bonus and im supprised how well it runs autocad!!

only thing is fro all the spec sheets we are lead to believe that the laptop can be upgraded to 6gb ram from 4gb. now where do i put this ram stick as i can not find an access door anywhere. Also its only running 32bit will i have to install 64bit to run 6gb of ram??

Associate
ok after a day off searching finally found how to take the bottom off this laptop.

for reference you slide the battery release button across fully and then try and slide the bottom of the laptop away towards the front of the machine. Whole bottom should come off in one, leaving all componets accessible :)

now what type of hard dive will fit in these laptop/netbooks?? looks like a 2.5" without the metal surround??

Associate
coz they offer 10% discount to all netbooks

I just went to currys to buy this netbook using a 10% off code and it doesnt work, guess why because stupid **** classify it as a laptop and not a netbook, who the hell calls a 11.6` netbook a bloody laptop, not happy at all :(:(:(:(

** The mentioning or hinting of competitors is strictly prohibited - Please read FAQs regarding rules **

Soldato
OP
Technically, this is actually classed as a laptop, IIRC manufactures can only ship Win7 starter with a netbook. There is actually a definition of a netbook, and it isn't just denoted by screen size.

As for installing x64, I used the Microsoft USB/DVD tool, and an OEM copy of x64. It accepted the HP license fine.

Also, I've added a Crucial M4 64gb to mine. Didn't have to remove the shim or anything - it fit out of the box.

Associate
Technically, this is actually classed as a laptop, IIRC manufactures can only ship Win7 starter with a netbook. There is actually a definition of a netbook, and it isn't just denoted by screen size.

As for installing x64, I used the Microsoft USB/DVD tool, and an OEM copy of x64. It accepted the HP license fine.

Also, I've added a Crucial M4 64gb to mine. Didn't have to remove the shim or anything - it fit out of the box.

I installed x64 last night in exactly the same way and used the hp key as well no problems.

I also put a spare 16gb sd card in the reader and dedicated it as a readyboost memory made one hell of a difference to my system. Although it wouldnt make any difference if you had a sshd id assume.

Ive also put in 8gb of ram, how do I go about dedicating 1.92 to the graphics card?

Associate
After installing x64 obviously all the drivers were gone and since I have found them and installed from hp website. Apart frome the cool sense software......do we need this? Will it affect the laptop performance not having it?

Associate
If I am not mistaken, CoolSense is part of HP Support Assistant.

If that is available for x64, coolsense should be accessible under one of its tabs (I believe...)

Associate
i had come to the same conclusion but i didnt want to put hp bloatware back on.

is coolsense essential to getting optimum performance out to these laptops, or will it just stay in desktop mode?

Associate
i actually got a dm1-4027ea in my box which has a AD2 product code not the QE one.

and when looking up the product specification sheet (document), not the webpage spec on hp website. It states upgradeable to 6gb which is quite difficult with 2 memory slots so i put 2 4gb chips in mine and they all show up under windows.:D

i thought the worse that could happen would be that only 6gb would show....

search for the product sheet on hp web site

here you go

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...2602&cc=ad&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_r1002_uken

looks like the same for yours as well :)

Associate
had a quick go on pc mark vantage 2011 with only 4gb or ram in, i will run another test with the 8gb of ram to see if there is any difference??

also i would think that the results may go up if i was able to dedicate some more memory to the graphics....currently 348mb:(

Processor AMD E-450 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
Processor clock 1570 MHz
Physical / logical processors 1 / 2
# of cores 2
Graphics Card AMD Radeon HD 6320
Memory 384 MB
Driver version 8.863.0.0
Operating system 64-bit Windows 7 (6.1.7600)
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3387
Memory 3690 MB
Detailed scores
PCMark
2319 PCMarks
PCMark Suite
2319 PCMarks
PCMark Memories 1 5.85
CPU image manipulation 1.81 MB/s
HDD - importing pictures to Windows Photo Gallery 18.83 MB/s
PCMark Memories 2 0.98
Video transcoding - VC-1 to WMV9 0.98 MB/s
PCMark TV and Movies 1 1.41
Video transcoding - VC-1 to VC-1 0.16 MB/s
Video playback - VC-1 HD DVD with SD commentary 12.54 FPS
PCMark TV and Movies 2 18.3
HDD - Windows Media Center 19.61 MB/s
Video playback - VC-1 HD DVD with HD content 17.08 FPS
PCMark Gaming 1 34.66
Data decompression 235.92 MB/s
GPU gaming 5.09 FPS
PCMark Gaming 2 192.95
CPU gaming 4009.92 operations/s
HDD - gaming 9.28 MB/s
PCMark Music 1 1.7
Web page rendering - music shop 4.28 pages/s
Audio transcoding - MP3 to WMA 0.18 MB/s
HDD - adding music to Windows Media Player 6.41 MB/s
PCMark Music 2 8.72
Audio transcoding - WAV to WMA lossless 8.72 MB/s
PCMark Communications 1 3.53
Data encryption - CNG AES CBC 1.9 MB/s
Data compression 5.22 MB/s
Windows Mail - copying 4.42 operations/s
PCMark Communications 2 7.43
Web page rendering - news serial 1.08 pages/s
Data decryption - CNG AES CBC 48.07 MB/s
HDD - Windows Defender 7.92 MB/s
PCMark Productivity 1 292.12
Text editing 292.12 MB/s
PCMark Productivity 2 11.65
Windows Contacts - searching 6698.84 contacts/s
Windows Mail - searching 0.65 operations/s
Web page rendering - favorites group parallel 1.34 pages/s
HDD - application loading 3.16 MB/s

Last edited:
Associate

Well IMO that is extremely silly, i have a Samsung NC20 with a 12.1`screen and that definately is classified as a netbook so to me a slightly smaller screen than that is a netbook whatever the OS on it is.

Also check out user reviews of 11.6` netbooks, the vast majority of people use the word netbook in their reviews, check out amazon.

Associate
has anyone come across any information on how to dedicate memory to the gpu as im sure the system could benefit from more than just 348mb of Ram.

Although saying that i was suprised how well the computer managed at running a hd movie out of the hdmi port and displaying it on my 50" TV :) ( i honestly didnt think it would do it)

Last edited:
Associate
In an older laptop I had, I remember there was a similar setting in the BIOS.

If I remember well though it was for deciding what would be the maximum RAM one could allow the graphics to use and not for "forcing" the graphics to reserve a specific amount of RAM at all times.

I would expect though the graphics controller by itself to reserve as much RAM as required (up to the upper limit) depending on the specific occasion.

So if I am not mistaken the reason you currently see only 384mb in use is probably because using any more than that would not be of any additional benefit.

Back
Top Bottom