HP DM1

cas

cas

Associate
+ some decent power save software that would light up only portions of the LCD that were in focus, course not so handy if you maximise every thing as I do, nice feature though.
Apologies for the thread creep - please can you tell me where you find that feature?

Associate
I have done a clean install Windows 7 HP onto my OCZ Vertex2E 60gig drive and it is really impressed with it. I haven't installed all the HP extras but I would like to get the BEATS audio volume to come up on screen when I use the volume buttons. How do I get that back?

Cheers

Associate
I have done a clean install Windows 7 HP onto my OCZ Vertex2E 60gig drive and it is really impressed with it. I haven't installed all the HP extras but I would like to get the BEATS audio volume to come up on screen when I use the volume buttons. How do I get that back?

Cheers

I was having the same issue. I fixed it by installing HPOnScreenDisplay.exe from C:\SWSetup

Associate

Cheers

To add to monospot's post; I believe it's a combination of the Beats Audio drivers and the HP On Screen Display software. The later is what brings up the on screen graphics when you adjust volume, screen brightness etc (some people find these graphics annoying and uninstall HP On Screen Display to stop them - I quite like them). Both bits of software can be found on the HP website (go to the support area). Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone doing light gaming on this machine ? Would be tempted to get one if i could get a game offootball manager 2012 , dungeon defenders and civ 4

Associate
Anyone doing light gaming on this machine ? Would be tempted to get one if i could get a game offootball manager 2012 , dungeon defenders and civ 4

I've had Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 (released 2009) and Crysis (2007) running on my 4027sa. If you look back through this thread, other people have mentioned some other games that they've got running on it. For what it costs etc, it's a surprisingly capable machine; just don't expect miracles!

Last edited:
Associate
Football manager and Civ wouldn't be the quickest due to the need for CPU power, civ does run though but gets very slow over time, civ is not very light though IMO, large end games on my 4.2Ghz X6 chugs for ages, bit much to expect a netbook to cope, DM1 might explode in these scenarios. :D

Lighter stuff like tropico are fine. Services like onlive provide a decent eperience on lightweight machines like these.

Associate
Oh yer i know not to expect miracles i dont mind dropping the res down to 800 x 600 / 1024 x 768 with low details on things.
I have a 5 year old macbook with intel gma 950 video which wont even load football manager and civ 4 is terrible so if its a little jump from that id be more than happy

Associate
Thanks for the replys thats good to know civ 5 loads up on it :)
I was never expecting the civs to run 60 fps and snappy turns with a full roster of cpus but it would be cool to get a few turns in on the way to work with 25-30 fps low detail.

Soldato
Memory / Windows Version Conclusion?

There seems to be a lot of comment about upgrading the memory and going from the 32 bit to 64 bit version of Windows 7.

What's the final verdict - is there much improvement in doing this over running the supplied Windows 7 32 bit with 4 Mb of RAM?

Thanks.

Associate
There seems to be a lot of comment about upgrading the memory and going from the 32 bit to 64 bit version of Windows 7.

What's the final verdict - is there much improvement in doing this over running the supplied Windows 7 32 bit with 4 Mb of RAM?

Thanks.

If you have a look at Electroshadow's post on 19 November (page 4) and an earlier post on page 2, there are some details of a 3D benchmark test after upgrading to 8GB RAM (something you can only do with Win 7 64 Bit - 32 Bit can only cope with 4GB).

Associate
No real improvement but if you are going to wipe anyway to have a clean install may as well put it on but I wouldn't bother unless you know you have a need for more RAM like running a VM etc.

Runs pretty well with 4Gb.

Soldato
After a few discharge/charge cycles; I'm finding the battery life on mine to be a tad disappointing. I seem to only be able to get around 4 hours with mixed use and near minimum brightness, wifi on.

Any program or process which is CPU intensive wreaks the battery life, it's quite shocking to see the estimated run to cut in half all because you are playing a flash game!

What capacity should the battery be?

Last edited:
Associate
Can't say I've noticed, I'm certainly not getting anywhere near the 7+ hours of reviews but I am doing between 5-6, I don't use min brightness, think I am at 4 but have it configured to dim on idle and shut screen down after 1 min.

Flash games shouldn't be taxing your CPU, though they will be running on the GPU

See what else is running, probably have a process using CPU (make sure you show process from all users) on a new laptop all the updates are quite taxing initially like the dotnet stuff, after its installed it proceeds to do a lot of stuff to your machine in the background when using it.

Associate
Battery

I am about to purchase either the DM1 4520 or DM1 4527. I porb will go for the 4520 with the larger hard drive but the battery life is displayed as lower. Can anyone confirm if the battery part numbers is the same on both models? Perhaps someone with the 4520 will post their battery part number and someone with a 4527 will post theirs. Many Thanks.

Associate
I am about to purchase either the DM1 4520 or DM1 4527. I porb will go for the 4520 with the larger hard drive but the battery life is displayed as lower. Can anyone confirm if the battery part numbers is the same on both models? Perhaps someone with the 4520 will post their battery part number and someone with a 4527 will post theirs. Many Thanks.

I assume you mean the 4020 (500 GB HDD) and 4027 (320 GB HDD) ******** The batteries are the same as the machines are identical apart from the HDD. The ****** is clearly lying like a cheap watch when it describes one (4027) as having an 8.5 hour battery life and the other (4020) as 6 hours (they should be the same). Given the 4020 has dropped in price, I'd get that one (if I didn't already have the 4027 that I bought back in November before the 4020 was released)

** The mentioning or hinting name of competitors is strictly prohibited. As too is their pricing - Please read FAQs regarding rules **

Back
Top Bottom