HP Microserver+XPEnology

Soldato
Hi all, just a couple of questions before I buy some hard drives.

Does the OS run from the USB flash drive or from a hard drive?

Do you need 4 or 5 hard drives for the raid array?

Can the hard drives be of mixed size and can you upgrade them when you run out of space? i.e. could I start off with 4 or 5 1tb drives and then upgrade them to 3tb drives one at a time?

Thanks

i) OS boot's from the USB, then you can remove it and it runs from the array.

ii)You can start with one hard drive, but any further hard drives must be at least that size or bigger.

iii) Yes. You CANNOT start with a 3TB drive, then add a 1TB drive though.

Soldato
i) OS boot's from the USB, then you can remove it and it runs from the array.

So the OS is installed onto the array/hard-drive (and later on i imagine it all runs in RAM anyway) and the USB drive is purely used to help booting the OS?

If that's the case, is it possible to installed the OS to the USB flash drive only, leaving the entire array for storage ie - FreeNas/Nas4Free?

Currently i've got a three drive setup, the standard 250GB drive and a pair of 1TB drives in raid 1. I originally installed it all with just the 250GB, added the array after it was all setup, so i'm assuming the OS is on the 250GB drive only (don't see why it'd replicate to the array) - but is there a way of determining which drive the OS resides?

That by the by, XPEnology is pretty damn impressive on the N36L and it has awesome R/W speeds compared to previous setups that use to run on it - SBS '08 and XP. Like deuse though, i'm not convinced the drives are spinning down - both hdparm and smartctl appear to continuously show them as 'active' and not idle.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So the OS is installed onto the array/hard-drive (and later on i imagine it all runs in RAM anyway) and the USB drive is purely used to help booting the OS?

If that's the case, is it possible to installed the OS to the USB flash drive only, leaving the entire array for storage ie - FreeNas/Nas4Free?

Currently i've got a three drive setup, the standard 250GB drive and a pair of 1TB drives in raid 1. I originally installed it all with just the 250GB, added the array after it was all setup, so i'm assuming the OS is on the 250GB drive only (don't see why it'd replicate to the array) - but is there a way of determining which drive the OS resides?

That by the by, XPEnology is pretty damn impressive on the N36L and it has awesome R/W speeds compared to previous setups that use to run on it - SBS '08 and XP. Like deuse though, i'm not convinced the drives are spinning down - both hdparm and smartctl appear to continuously show them as 'active' and not idle.

I'm just about to try the syno hibernat debug tool and get a log of what's going on.

I just got a load of mubo jumbo errors starting with synorelayd[7071].

Last edited:
Soldato
They definitely are on mine, I can hear them spinning back up and it takes a few seconds to respond if I click on the mapped network drive if they are in sleep mode, normally as usual it is instant..

Soldato
OP
They definitely are on mine, I can hear them spinning back up and it takes a few seconds to respond if I click on the mapped network drive if they are in sleep mode, normally as usual it is instant..

My mate took out the fan and stopped all the synology apps and he could hear the drives.
They wasn't accessing but he could hear the motor still turning the platters.

But I'm still very happy with it and does everything what my old DS did.

Update.
I SSH syno_hibernate_debug_tool --enable 1 and got errors. so then I SSH syno_hibernate_debug_tool --enable-force_hibernation and I got a execution error.

Anybody know of any other way to try to see if Hibernation is working or a command to force Hibernation?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So in the var\log\messages I get

"
Aug 17 08:37:31 scemd: modules/disk_hibernation.c:1976 Force hibernation enable, idle minutes 10
Aug 17 08:37:31 scemd: modules/disk_hibernation.c:2008 Eunit Deep sleep timer 0"

wonder if the Deep Sleep should be something other than 0 ?

update I keep getting this every 10 mins the same time it should hibernate anyone got a clue?
Aug 17 16:14:20 synorelayd[7038]: synorelayd.cpp:563 regist command auth error

Last edited:
Soldato
I got WOL working great now and I've found out that the 4.2 version is having problems with hibernation so all is good now :)

Do tell! I haven't managed to look into WOL yet, but would definately be interested assuming the hard drives can then be spun down automatically by using a script to unmount the usb boot drive or something

Soldato
OP
Do tell! I haven't managed to look into WOL yet, but would definately be interested assuming the hard drives can then be spun down automatically by using a script to unmount the usb boot drive or something

First of all you got your real Mac address once you have this then SHH in to the server using root then your password.
See the post here by akaz.

http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=910#p4226

Next follow this post by slave
http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=665&p=3463&hilit=synoinfo.conf#p1919

To test shut down the server as normal and then send a magic packet to it. I used WOL Magic Packet Sender from my PC.
I am using no-ip(free) for a web addres for the N54L which helps a lot.

The re-boot up time is long about 3-4 mins but I can't work out why?

Soldato
OP
Deuse - Did you find out was the situation was with regards to disks spinning down?

The only things I have found out is that synology say none of the nas will go in to deep sleep mode for what ever reason.

Mine kind of spin down my mate can hear the motor going but it's not accessing the drive so just a slight hummm
there are people on the synology forum who have this problem still. I'm hoping that 4.3 will solve this.

But having said that my drives on my old DS211j never spin down.

Soldato
Guys

Bit of advice please.

I broke the USB stick that was used to boot. Do I just load the image file onto a new stick again to get it to boot into my normal install. Or do I have to do a fresh install, as I believe all my settings are on the broken USB stick.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom