HP Microserver+XPEnology

Soldato
When you installed, I assume you did so from the Package Centre?

Can you remember if you just did an automatic install, or a manual install?

Do you still have Security Advisor set up to warn about modified system files? It is an option which can be disabled.

Was so long ago I don't really remember, but probably automatic at a guess, I'll take a look later at the security advisor bit

Soldato
I'll play around a bit tonight, to see what I can work out.

Any suggestion on how I can do a 'clean' re-install of the OS, without affecting the data partition?

Last time, I just did a Factory Reset from within DSM, but this forces you to re-build the disk volume, which then formats the disk.

Surely it must be possible to update/re-install the OS without affecting any data on the disk - but I can't find any documentation on how it's done.

Associate

cheers, will have a read through bud!

the thing is you need to weigh up the cost of them spinning all the time vs the wear caused by them randomly starting up, not an easy calculation to make lol. maybe ill just try and forget about it lol.

Do you know if its intelligent enough to only spin up the drives in the array that it needs to access, or does it spin the whole lot up?

Associate
Have just purchased a N54L off the members market and i'm looking to get XPEnology running on it. Now quick question about using existing drives. If the drives are close to capacity with media content, will this data get erased if use those drives in the microserver? i'm getting some new drives for the unit but also wanted to port over my drives from another NAS unit into the microserver but don't want to loose the data.
is this possible?

Soldato
Any suggestion on how I can do a 'clean' re-install of the OS, without affecting the data partition?

Ok, I think I've found a way to do this.

• Start up with screen connected
  • At xpenoboot screen choose 3rd option 'Install/Upgrade'
  • Press Tab to edit
  • Add something (eg .1) to end of line to force a 'difference'.
  • Wait for boot to complete and reach login prompt
  • Launch Synology Assistant on a PC
  • Server should be found in 'migratable' state

When it launches you then get option for 'clean install' with data left intact.

No idea if this is the best way to do it, but it seems to work.

Last edited:
Soldato
Unfortunately I still get the warning about system files being modified, even after doing this.

Going to do another factory reset and start from a clean disk.

If I can't figure out what's happening, I might just have to ignore the error.

Soldato
so I have 4 x 3tb in my server, all raided to give performance / resilience

have 6tb space all together as a result

it is time to change the drives to 4tb drives or 6tb if the server allows

what's the best way to do this? can I remove 2 alternating drives and pop in 2 x 6tb letting it auto rebuild the raid and then once done remove the other 2 x 3tb then replacing and letting it auto rebuild again? or is it wishful thinking

any advice is appreciated :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Unfortunately I still get the warning about system files being modified, even after doing this.

Going to do another factory reset and start from a clean disk.

If I can't figure out what's happening, I might just have to ignore the error.

Even after completely formatting the HDD in another PC and then re-installing, I'm still getting the warning, this time before applying any updates, or installing any 'apps' like plex.

Giving up on trying to 'fix' it and just going to ignore it from now on.

Soldato
I want to try out the community package 'subsonic'. For this I need to install embedded java. When trying to install subsonic without java already installed, it says to go here and get java.

On the oracle site, there are downloads for arm/Power Architecture/x86. I just want to make sure that this is the correct download for the gen8:

x86, Linux
x86 Linux Small Footprint – Headless 31 MB Downloadejre-7u75-fcs-b13-linux-i586-headless-18_dec_2014.tar.gz

from here

Associate
Have installed this to a VM on my Gen 8 (esxi) and all working fine, but I'm having an issue with transfer speeds now that I've started moving files over to use with Plex.

PC and Gen 8 are both connected to the same Gigabit switch with cat 6 cables all round, yet when I copy from PC to VM it's ~20MB/s. Yet copying the other way is ~ 90MB/s.

Anyone have any ideas? Drives I'm copying to from are 2 x WDRed 2TB in RAID0.

Associate
Finally got round to installing xpenology on my N36L with Plex, was fairly painless and it seems to work well. Installed one HDD initially and copied some video files over which Plex has found and sorted.

Have since installed a second HDD and copied some more video files to the 2nd HDD. Plex is set to scan libraries when changes occur, but for some reason everything I have copied onto the 2nd HDD has not been picked up by Plex.

Can any one advise how to get Plex to see the 2nd HDD's contents?

Associate
No problem - I'm new to xpenology, but have been using Plex for a while, so happy to help where I can :)

Well you certainly know your plex. I am new to both xpenology and plex. Both seem fairly hassle free once set up, barring the problem I had ;)

Back
Top Bottom