**HP OMEN 32 WQHD Gaming Monitor With AMD FreeSync Technology** A light in the quality control dark

Soldato
Am I missing something? What's so good about this monitor? It's a large (too large) 2560x1440 75hz screen with colours not as good as IPS.

You're not missing anything really, although it does have strengths against IPS as well as weaknesses. It's basically a BL3200PT that can be run at 75Hz and supports FreeSync. Worth remembering that Samsung are working on a 144Hz 31.5" 2560 x 1440 VA panel, too.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Am I missing something? What's so good about this monitor? It's a large (too large) 2560x1440 75hz screen with colours not as good as IPS.

It's not really whats so good, but whats not wrong with it that might make this a great screen. The DPI should be fine unless you sit inches from the screen and it's not much bigger than a 16:10 30"

Last edited:
Soldato

For gaming i'm more than fine with that resolution. Better black levels, no weird glow. VA has it's own issues, but I find ips worse. On the plus side it's large. I think people underestimate screen size sometimes when gaming - it makes a massive difference and 32" at normal monitor viewing distance is pretty much perfect size wise.

Soldato
The big question is whether this is the same rank-awful 32" AMVA panel in all the other monitors of its size and resolution? The 75Hz gives me some hope that it may not be... I would love to see more choice for screens of this size and PPI!

Wonder if there will be a gsync version also?

Soldato
Soldato
Last bullet point here mentions the panel - http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/35.htm#panels_update. Not sure of the panel part number yet, but given the models Samsung have shown off so far and where things are headed (high refresh rate) I would expect that a product using this panel may be shown off at CES in Janaury.

Cheers, I'll watch out for it if nothing else comes to market between now and then :) Feels like a 144Hz jobbie really does have to be fundamentally different to the current crop of... jobbies.

...I really hope it isn't curved though...

Associate
People are just hoping HP will make a better quality screens than others :)

I personally wouldn't hold my breath much, because its all comes down to panels which are all the same. If there will be a good panel out there, it won't be exclusive to HP, and vice versa, if there is no good panel, HP could do nothing.

Last edited:
Soldato
I personally wouldn't hold my breath much, because its all comes down to panels which are all the same.

To date this seems to be quite correct - and it's a reason why all the 32" VA QHD's are cheap :/ I think we're just getting hopeful that with 75Hz and Freesync, there's just a teeny tiny chance that a better panel is soon to be made, and that it might indeed start showing up elsewhere.

I for one would love a monitor of this size/resolution, but having been through three duffers, I'm not prepared to try again without reassurance that the manufacturing has changed.

Soldato
OP
Should have a decent chance of extending the VVR range. This might drop down 37hz with modded EDID settings in the driver, though I would be looking more to push 75hz+ and extend the top end.

Will low frame rate correction work with a hacked driver?

Associate
Anyone know if these will be available in Europe ? I can see them on sale in the US in a few places.

Want them for a racing cockpit and 3 x 32 @1440p with Freesync.

Soldato
Haven't seen a hint of them so far unfortunately, and Google is unrevealing :/

On a minor tangent, anyone seen any other *new* QHD screens of this size? Ones that aren't trotting out the old 60Hz panel from a couple of years ago would get my attention, especially if there was a gsync option.

Associate
I just been in front of one of the 32" Omen's ... look really good! I want to upgrade my Dell 2515H because i'm not 100% used to such 2560x1440 on a 25" display.

I was thinking going with the UltraWide flow but after some time looking at a LG C88 34" and the Omen 32" i feel the Omen to be more comfortable to work with at the distance i'm sitting.

I'm going to order mine this weekend so i'll give you some feedback on how it looks and feels.

Soldato
Hmm, so if you've found a UK source for them, wonder if OCUK might get some soon... would be really nice to have some fresh big panels :)

Back
Top Bottom