• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

HPET Disabled or Enabled

Associate
I had regularly crackling sound in Skyrim (due to ndis.exe, apparently ... updating Intel LAN drivers didn't help). Couldn't figure out anything to fix it.

Going by this thread I turned off ACPI HPET in the BIOS, and the crackling seems to be gone. Only did a brief test though.

Associate
I'll try this later, do you have to disable it in both bios and windows? Bf4 is probably my most played game too.

Hi setter, originally looking into this my Bios had HPET enabled and windows 8.1 event timer was off also, so I disabled HPET in Bios and made sure it was turned off in windows too.

If you want to see whether it's turned on in the Operating system, use this command in the command prompt with admin privileges:

bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock

Soldato
Results

Before I ran 3Dmark and Tomb Raider I used LatencyMon to read Windows Latency for one Min. I closed down all programs I didn't need

LatencyMon - HPET on in BIOS and Windows
BIOS%2BWindows.png

LatencyMon - HPET on in BIOS and Off in Windows
Bios%2BOffwindows.png

LatencyMon - HPET Off in Both Bios and Windows
Bios%2BwindowsOff.png

Having it switched off in Both seems to be the better choice here.

3Dmark - Results
HPET - on in Bios and Windows

3DMark Score 13488
Graphics Score 20612
Physics Score 8842
Combined Score 4811
Graphics Test 1103.68 fps
Graphics Test 278.92 fps
Physics Test 28.07 fps
Combined Test 22.38 fps
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/2814455

HPET - On in Bios Off in Windows

3DMark Score 13635
Graphics Score 21005
Physics Score 8912
Combined Score 4807
Graphics Test 1104.88 fps
Graphics Test 280.88 fps
Physics Test 28.3 fps
Combined Test 22.36 fps
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/2814539

HPET - Off in Both Bios and Windows

3DMark Score 13734
Graphics Score 20992
Physics Score 8900
Combined Score 4944
Graphics Test 1105.05 fps
Graphics Test 280.68 fps
Physics Test 28.26 fps
Combined Test 23.0 fps
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/2814628

Clear Winner here is Both Off

Only had Time to bench one game, I might do Hitman tomorrow as thats quite demanding. The Tomb Raider results are give or take avg is very close and min remains the same. To test mouse Movement etc I going to need play some games more and no better game than CSGO
So I gooing to keep it Both off and play some CSGO and post back later if I notice anything compared to having HPET both on.

Tomb Raider

HPET - Both ON
BIOS%2Bwindows1.png

HPET - BIOS On - Windows Off
Bios%2BOffwindows1.png

HPET - Both OFF
Bios%2BwindowsOff1.png
Please keep images to below 1280px wide or post in
tags like I've done for you above - Rilot
Going By this, Having it On in Bios and Off in Windows seems the better choice.

:D

Last edited:
Soldato
If it's better fully disabled Shankly let me know what you did to fully disable it and I'll test it too :)

In Bios mate look for HPET normally in Advance setting. To disable or Enable in Windows run CMD in admin and enter one of these.
Disable HPET & Enable
bcdedit /set useplatformclock true (then reboot) enable HPET
bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock (then reboot) disable HPET

For me Defo off in Windows from now on.

Caporegime
OP
Going to turn them both off going by your results, lowest latency and only a 0.5fps difference in Tomb Raider.

Just tried it totally off and my 3dmark result went down a bit, within margin of error though.

I'll try off in windows now.

My latency results with it off in Windows and on in Bios:

BCOb2Xo.png

and my best 3dmark result yet:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/4141979

Last edited:
Associate
Wow so not just me then :) great work Shank now I would like to see what you think of it in BF4.

Shankly are you saying that you prefer on in Bios and off in windows??

Caporegime
OP
On in BIOS off in Windows gave me best results. Should probably of measured latency under load though with a game running.

Completely off makes some games stutter for me, I've read it can depend on individual setups though depending on motherboard, drivers that you have installed etc etc.

Soldato
Wow so not just me then :) great work Shank now I would like to see what you think of it in BF4.

Shankly are you saying that you prefer on in Bios and off in windows??

I have it set to Both off atm, but going by Tomb Raider results On in BIOS and Off windows seem the better choice.

Been playing CSGO for couple games with HPET Both OFF and I dont know if its just me but mouse movement seems better lol hard to explain

Caporegime
Off in both bios and windows. And i gotta say the difference is astonishing.

3bOCKGf.png

Flattest ive ever seen the performance graph lines in bog standard bf4. So much smoother and mouse/keyboard input feels much snappier. The above was only a tdm round with a dozen players on. But previously in a round like this my graph readout would be up and down like a yo yo.

Back
Top Bottom