• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

HPET Disabled or Enabled

Soldato
So at the end of it all.

off in bios and off in windows is the best all round action ;)

im going to test this at the weekend when i have some free time :D

keep up the tests going though so as to make sure 100% off in both is best ...

Permabanned
I was thinking both OFF and letting windows control the timer would have been the best, I seriously did think there was mouse lag with anything else. Ive been through pretty much every settings and tweak known to man and put them all inside a txt document when i find them.

And i had my system running pretty damm good and smooth apart from being 60hz. DPC latency or latencymon should really be no higher than 7us on a fresh system and spikes to 50-70us is normal for usb.sys or Nvidia.xxx. But you may find after running latencymon and then a game it will read red also because something in your system might cause a 500us spike. This is why i ditched my USB mic and tools to get everything off my usb on z77 because it kept spiking to 200+. When i went back to a 6.3mm mic on my soundcard im back to 70us.

Another one people can try is those repeatkeys and your key delay. There is a google guide floating somwhere but ill swear in somegames it makes movement smoother when strafing. Framecapping and pre rendered 1 max is another two for Bf4 i think if people like Setter combine all these on single card his graph should be as flat as a pancake.

Props to Shankley for the effort though. Good work son. :cool:

Soldato
How do I test whether HPET is on in windows?

I tried

And it returned

Does that mean it is off?

Run CMD as Admin and type bcdedit /enum

see image it should list useplatformclock yes ---- If you dont see it like my image then its disabled.
Untitled1.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Hitman Results Both off sees Min FPS drop down and had little stutter show.

On in Windows and Bios vs On Bios and Off Windows is to close to call.
I can say this, switching HPET Off in Windows, with is default anyway seems the better choice. Playing CSGO and I can notice the smoother mouse movement that some you pointed out.

Both Off
OffBiosand%20Windows.png

On Bios Off Windows
OnBiosOffWindows.png

Both On
OnBiosandWindows.png

Associate
Hitman Results Both off sees Min FPS drop down and had little stutter show.

On in Windows and Bios vs On Bios and Off Windows is to close to call.
I can say this, switching HPET Off in Windows, with is default anyway seems the better choice. Playing CSGO and I can notice the smoother mouse movement that some you pointed out.

Both Off
OffBiosand%20Windows.png

On Bios Off Windows
OnBiosOffWindows.png

Both On
OnBiosandWindows.png

Thanks for your time doing this :) so quite game dependent then? because i only play BF4 i don't see the effects on other games but for BF4 i will not be turning HPET back on :)

Soldato
Thanks for your time doing this :) so quite game dependent then? because i only play BF4 i don't see the effects on other games but for BF4 i will not be turning HPET back on :)

Yeah it would seem so. One thing here that Benchmarking wont show is how HPET effect say mouse movement etc input lag or latency.

I can defo feel a difference yesterday with Both Off in CSGO. So now I just using On in Bios and Off in Windows and going to see how CSGO feels.

Caporegime
OP
Rofflay mind pm'ing me your txt file with tweaks? I used to have one too but lost it.

Shankly that's what I experienced with both off, BF4 loves it but Diablo 3 had stuttering.

Permabanned
Rofflay mind pm'ing me your txt file with tweaks? I used to have one too but lost it.

Shankly that's what I experienced with both off, BF4 loves it but Diablo 3 had stuttering.

I have to find the usb pen with all my stuff on it could take me a month lol. Im just not quite ready yet to buy a 980 and get myself going on BF4 again. But i can tell you the main ones i remember doing

When i play a game and install i am obviously using barely anything installed so dont install stuff and when you install your drivers only install driver and Physx if needed otherwise untick 3D,Physx and all the bloat. And so with Nvidia pre rendered frames 1 on single card and my frames capped to 60 or 120 depending on my monitor. And i disabled windows repeat keys as well because im not a typer on this machine. I also ran with HPET off in bios and installed windows normally so that is off-off.

As for the rest i think they are all windows based tweaks. Pagefile off is another one i just remembed because i have 16GB of ram. Disabling all the windows components too in control panel/uninstall is another i do upon a clean format.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
I've done most of that already, I've stopped messing with the services as much. I'm pretty sure I borked up my last 7 install by messing around with all that. I leave page file enabled as some programs and games need it.

Back
Top Bottom